Help! Questions On Re-Entry After Non-Imm Type-B Visa Expires

Here's a question I think someone could help me with: My non-immigrant type-B was:

* Issued on 09 Dec '09.

* Had to be utilised before 08 Dec '10.

* First entry was 22 Dec '09 (last year).

* My last 90-day stamp expires 12 Dec '10 (this Sunday).

The exit-Thailand date was not an issue as I was going West for Christmas until I just found out I have to stay awhile longer here on emergency. So, I have cancelled my flight.

Is it possible to get longer than two weeks if I do a border run (over-land) this weekend? I believe that it is, but that I should have left the country with a few-day cushion. Or do I have to take a plane this weekend to get longer than two weeks?

This might be a misunderstanding, but I am being told by a visa service that I use here that the key date is the 09 Dec 2009 date (not my first entry date, or any other date). In other words, I cannot get an extension because we are now over one year since the visa was issued.

I would like to know if this is true, but when I asked hypothetically if I had waited a whole year to make my first entry (i.e., up until December of this year), the visa is still a year visa (good for stay in Thailand up until Dec 2011). This received an astounding 'no'. So, if you wait a few months to utilise your visa, it would only be good for stay in the Kingdom for the remaining part of the 12-month period?

Any help would be appreciated. Cheers.