Employment Fun

after much research, about working in thailand i have some questions that need answering

- so far what i have found is that the most employable non thai's in thailand are the native english farangs, who teach for peanuts, mostly on dodgy at best qualifications, is there no other jobs available ?

- the reason i ask is that i am living in bangkok looking for an internship, vacation employment or job placement. as for my engineering degree i am required to do work before i can graduate, i was wondering if anyone knew if work is available for non thai's and where would be the best place to look ?

-if no work placement can be found i still would like to work, how easy is it to work as a teacher when i am have nearly completed a Bach Deg. ? and no teaching qualifications ? (and i understand they aren't handing these jobs out like candy)

thanks

after much research, about working in thailand i have some questions that need answering

- so far what i have found is that the most employable non thai's in thailand are the native english farangs, who teach for peanuts, mostly on dodgy at best qualifications, is there no other jobs available ?

- the reason i ask is that i am living in bangkok looking for an internship, vacation employment or job placement. as for my engineering degree i am required to do work before i can graduate, i was wondering if anyone knew if work is available for non thai's and where would be the best place to look ?

-if no work placement can be found i still would like to work, how easy is it to work as a teacher when i am have nearly completed a Bach Deg. ? and no teaching qualifications ? (and i understand they aren't handing these jobs out like candy)

thanks

Actually there are a lot of undesireable teaching jobs that ARE just about handed out like candy....sort of tainted candy....they're easy to get because no one will stay with them because they're so bad. If you're cute and have a nice smile you might even be able to find a more desireable job....this is Thailand, often looks are more important than performance. As for getting a job in engineering, even with a degree it is next to impossible unless you have a specialty that is in demand and lots of experience.

You must understand that it is far more difficult for a Thai company to employ a foreigner than to employ a Thai, for reasons in Thai Business Law.

In addition you've got the language problem and salary level you will probably not be satisfied with.

As for teaching, plenty of jobs as I understand, but most of them will be illegal (will not provide you a work permit).

more great help

but not really in the area where i was think of applying. ok i am after what my university calls vacation employment, which can be also called an internship or work placement. i haven't yet graduated from university, in my 2nd last year we are required to do a short term amount of work (normally 3 months) at a company related to the degree that i am studying (chemical engineering).

as the name suggests 'vacation employment' is typically done during our vacation time, so i am looking to get experience in working in an international company to broaden my career options when i actually graduate. it is not a full time, many years long job that i am trying to find. i just need to work short term, so then i can use the employment as credit for my degree so i can graduate.

so if you have any ideas on this matter that would be great.

thanks

Check with your university to see if they have any protocol with Thai Universities. Some universities provide internships to foreigner students but normally when they study here.

Unfortunately you cannot even work for free without a work permit. Basically they want foreigners to come here and spend money, not earn it. As for teaching, be careful.

The best way is to go back, apply for a multinational, work for a few years and try to relocate here in Thailand. By then you will earn much more compared to what you would if hired locally. :o

Sorry, Pantsninja if this does not really help, but as far as I understand, there is no difference if it's short or long term. You need a WP.

You can call it "internship", you can call it "vacation employment", you can call it whatever you like, but as far as the Thai Labour Department is concerned you are working here - and every foreginer that does that needs a work permit.

Every month I get at least one email from foreign students asking for internship in my company. While some have great resumes, I cannot provide them with that employment. In order to sponsor another foreigner for a WP I will have to increase my company's capital by 2 million baht. Otherwise, the employment will be illegal, something I am not willing to do.

The clear advantage of foreigners over Thais in teaching english makes many Thai schools willing to hire them illegally, and possibly pay them more then they'd pay a Thai teacher. I can't think of another field where foreigners have such a clear advantage.

Edited by ~G~