Is This A Warm Winter?

jaideeguy

I was up in the hills near Mae Taeng this morning and it absolutely poured down for about half an hour. Very strange, more like August than December.

Well at least it wasn't the white stuff and you could still wear shorts and sandals.:lol: We had light drizzle down here near the airport this morning.. Need it too.

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun ThaiWX,

Very well done web-site; thanks for that !

When you said: "We still time ahead for jackets and sweaters I believe," we're wondering. Your graph for the average lows in January this year suggests it reached at least 12C at one time in January, if we are interpreting it properly.

Looking at WeatherUndergrounds records for January 2009, there was a definite mid-month cold-snap with a minimum on January 16 of 10C, and some days of 11C minimum near that date: no idea how accurate those stats are.

Wondering, based on your long-term knowledge of Januarys here, what you might predict for this January. Would guess that a lot depends on things like the formation of cold fronts over China that come down here: remember the "freaky" chill in February ... was it three years ago ?

best, ~o:37;

Edited by orang37

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun ThaiWX,

Very well done web-site; thanks for that !

When you said: "We still time ahead for jackets and sweaters I believe," we're wondering. Your graph for the average lows in January this year suggests it reached at least 12C at one time in January, if we are interpreting it properly.

Looking at WeatherUndergrounds records for January 2009, there was a definite mid-month cold-snap with a minimum on January 16 of 10C, and some days of 11C minimum near that date: no idea how accurate those stats are.

Wondering, based on your long-term knowledge of Januarys here, what you might predict for this January. Would guess that a lot depends on things like the formation of cold fronts over China that come down here: remember the "freaky" chill in February ... was it three years ago ?

best, ~o:37;

Sawasdee Khrap back to you Khun Orang37 and krap khun for the web site compliment!

The dates on the chart may be confusing because of the format. Thay are printed month/day/year so this particular chart was set for October 2, 2010 through December 11th, 2010. I chose those dates because of this thread discussing this fall/winter tempertures so far. I mentioned the "still time for jackets and sweaters" thinking of the years I lived in Mae Jo and remembiring going to work a couple of mornings in January when it was down to 11C. My hands felt frozen to the motorcycle grips.:blink:

The beginning of November was our coolest temperatures so far. We still time ahead for jackets and sweaters I believe. Sorry, forgot to change the scale to Celcius.

that's a good graph - proof that it is warmer not just most of us feeling warmer. do you produce this data yourself or is it available on the net? I'd like to check it more often.

Do you have a link?

millwall_fan, I produced that chart from my home weather station records. I do have it uploading continuosly to my weather web site, ThaiWx , though and you can see Chiang Mai weather records on that site by selecting the "My Wunderground Page" (green buttons on the right, 5th from bottom). I like to refer to it when I'm out of town to see what's happening here. I hope this isn't considered inappropriate or against TV regs because it wasn't intended to be.

Cheers

The wealth of talent amongst the ex pat community in Chiang Mai in general and Thai Visa members in particular, never ceases to amaze me. Your website is really first class ThaiWx. thanks very much! Do PM it to 'Pirceless' The Chiang Mai forum's resident statistician- he has access to graphs on things like pollution levels that may interest you

The beginning of November was our coolest temperatures so far. We still time ahead for jackets and sweaters I believe. Sorry, forgot to change the scale to Celcius.

that's a good graph - proof that it is warmer not just most of us feeling warmer. do you produce this data yourself or is it available on the net? I'd like to check it more often.

Do you have a link?

millwall_fan, I produced that chart from my home weather station records. I do have it uploading continuosly to my weather web site, ThaiWx , though and you can see Chiang Mai weather records on that site by selecting the "My Wunderground Page" (green buttons on the right, 5th from bottom). I like to refer to it when I'm out of town to see what's happening here. I hope this isn't considered inappropriate or against TV regs because it wasn't intended to be.

Cheers

The wealth of talent amongst the ex pat community in Chiang Mai in general and Thai Visa members in particular, never ceases to amaze me. Your website is really first class ThaiWx. thanks very much! Do PM it to 'Pirceless' The Chiang Mai forum's resident statistician- he has access to graphs on things like pollution levels that may interest you

You wouldn't happen to know if Khun Pirceless (sp?) is a member of the Thai Meteoroligical Department here in Chiang Mai and speaks English would you? I've been trying to locate someone that is to speak with.

Thanks for the kind words on the site too!

Edited by ThaiWx

I go out every evening about 10 PM on my motorbike. Only the past week have I even considered wearing a light jacket. Most ot the time it's just shorts and sandals. In past years I remember wearing long pants and a thicker jacket. Maybe the cool weather has yet to come. We had a short, light shower about 5 PM today and there were lots of clouds around..

The same here.

Last year was similar.

Something not right for sure. My concern is how hot is it going to get by April of next year?

• 2 weeks later...
:) This Christmas morning just set the mark for the coolest morning so far this winter (in CM near the airport). 15c (59f) and still falling. Might need a light jacket if you plan on going out on a motorbike this morning.

Anything above 18 c I think is quite warm 14 c and above is shorts and singlet weather, never used a blanket at night always set the aircon to 14C at night makes it comfortable and keep the fan directly on me, the thai wife doesn't like it tho but the son is exactly the same as me and he was born here. A cool day is about 6C then I use a light jumper and jeans.

Your missus must really love you to sleep in those temperatures; mine would be off to the spare bedroom! Most people I know here have their AC set somewhere between 24 and 26. If your AC actually gets your bedroom down to 14 it must feel like a refrigerator after the warm air outside...

You are never going to acclimatise to Thailand if you have AC that cold. It's entirely up to you of course, but maybe try turning the AC to a warmer temperature and begin getting your internal thermostat adjusted if you want to enjoy the climate here!

When I lived in the UK I was always the person who felt the heat first and started sweating, but I could wander around in October in shorts and T-shirts - my body was great at dealing with cold, but useless with heat. When I told friends that I was heading to live in Thailand they thought I was mad and would hate it.

Arriving in mid-October I thought it was sweltering and found it tough to leave my AC guest house without sweating. The only way I acclimatised was living for the next two years without AC for the most part. Pretty uncomfortable at times, but it really got me acclimatised.

I'd never give up my AC again, but we don't use it to create a refridgerator, rather to lower humidity and create a slightly cool and comfortable bedroom. We go for between 24 and 27 depending on the time of year - higher during the hotter times of year, because I find it's temperature difference compared to outside that really matters. We use the AC pretty much all year round because it means we can keep the windows shut and avoid dog murdering thoughts when the street dogs start all the neighbourhood dogs off in the middle of the night!

By setting the AC at as high a level as we comfortably can we get a great nights sleep without sweating, but at the same time I have found that it hasn't taken away my hard earned acclimatisation. It also means that there is no shock to the system when I go outside and it avoids being "trapped" inside by a desire to stay near the AC.

Anyway, this works well for me, the choice is yours!

I'm still using my fan to cool down my room with my windows open, but I've never even tried to use the air con. Right now the weather is perfect for a Canadian. Light jacket over a short sleave shirt at night if I'm riding my motorbike. Doesn't matter if I wear shorts or slacks at night. I don't feel the cold here unless I'm riding a bike. But then I'm an old Canadian logger and we don't feel the cold.

Logger Lover

As I went out one evening and walked into a café

A fourty year old waitress, to me these words did say.

I can see that you are a logger, and not just a common bum

For nobody but a logger stirs his coffee with his thumb

My lover was a logger, there’s none like him today

If you poured whiskey on it, he’d eat a bale of hay

He never shaved his whiskers, from off of his horny hide

He just drove them in with a hammer, and bit them off inside

My lover came to see me, it was on a freezing day

He held me in a fond embrace, and cracked three vertebrae.

The temperature dropped below zero, as he went out in the snow

Going gaily homeward, at fourty eight below.

The weather it tried to freeze him, it tried its level best

At 100 degrees below zero, he buttoned up his vest.

Now it froze clear through to China, it froze to the stars above

At 1000 degrees below zero, it froze my logger love

Now I sit here downhearted, waiting for someone

A handsome rugged logger, who stirs his coffee with his thumb

Nipped up North to my sister placesce in Kinross for a couple of days but decided to forget about a swim when the outside temp hit -18 (minus)Some friends in Aberdeen recorded that it was - 20.

O to be back in Mae-On in winter. :D

Did I mention that one of our cows in CM had a calf.....called him Jimmy... ;) ....see you...Ji......

Nipped up North to my sister placesce in Kinross for a couple of days but decided to forget about a swim when the outside temp hit -18 (minus)Some friends in Aberdeen recorded that it was - 20.

O to be back in Mae-On in winter. :D

Did I mention that one of our cows in CM had a calf.....called him Jimmy... ;) ....see you...Ji......

Sounds real nice but please keep those temperatures over there. Cool enough around here now. After all, you wouldn't want little Jimmy catching a cold would you?:D

Edited by ThaiWx

So.. does anyone still think it's hot. :rolleyes:

So funny all these newbies who've been here like 3 years and didn't quite catch on yet to the fact that cold weather comes and goes in spells, with most spells occurring in December and January. It's quite an irregular graph and varies a lot year on year when cold spells happen. You could have most in December, or late january.. you never know.

Ian,

I hope that you will accept this in the Christmas Spirit that it is offered ;)

All the best

Gladiator

A big fan of BC

I'm still using my fan to cool down my room with my windows open, but I've never even tried to use the air con. Right now the weather is perfect for a Canadian. Light jacket over a short sleave shirt at night if I'm riding my motorbike. Doesn't matter if I wear shorts or slacks at night. I don't feel the cold here unless I'm riding a bike. But then I'm an old Canadian logger and we don't feel the cold.

Logger Lover

As I went out one evening and walked into a café

A fourty year old waitress, to me these words did say.

I can see that you are a logger, and not just a common bum

For nobody but a logger stirs his coffee with his thumb

My lover was a logger, there's none like him today

If you poured whiskey on it, he'd eat a bale of hay

He never shaved his whiskers, from off of his horny hide

He just drove them in with a hammer, and bit them off inside

My lover came to see me, it was on a freezing day

He held me in a fond embrace, and cracked three vertebrae.

The temperature dropped below zero, as he went out in the snow

Going gaily homeward, at fourty eight below.

The weather it tried to freeze him, it tried its level best

At 100 degrees below zero, he buttoned up his vest.

Now it froze clear through to China, it froze to the stars above

At 1000 degrees below zero, it froze my logger love

Now I sit here downhearted, waiting for someone

A handsome rugged logger, who stirs his coffee with his thumb

Ian,

I hope that you will accept this in the Christmas Spirit that it is offered ;)

All the best

Gladiator

A big fan of BC

:lol:

Yah, that's an old one, but still funny. Those skits were always a hoot. I'm glad they are now available on youtube for everyone to see. However, I seldom check on youtube myself, but always watch the ones my friends send me. You could get lost for months just checking out all the youtube options. Unfortunately, my intermittentnet here in Chiang Mai is so slow that I finally just quit trying to watch Youtube videos.

So funny all these newbies who've been here like 3 years and didn't quite catch on yet to the fact that cold weather comes and goes in spells, with most spells occurring in December and January. It's quite an irregular graph and varies a lot year on year when cold spells happen. You could have most in December, or late january.. you never know.

No, it is not hot now, and since a similar statement a couple of months ago, we have not had ANY hot days :whistling:

No, it is not hot now, and since a similar statement a couple of months ago, we have not had ANY hot days :whistling:

Comfortable temps around CM compared to what Doi Inthanon is experiencing now (now mak!) http://www.nationmul...n-30145216.html

Edited by ThaiWx