Mixx Bkk Disco, Impression

atyclb

was bored last night so went to the grand opening of Mixx BKK.

# well done opening

# easy entry without an elaborate plan to get a cover charge (ie; insomnia opening night)

# actually felt welcome due to the above and shockingly nice there was simply no cover fee

# abundance of apparent Thai middle class and above.... could actually talk with intelligent people as opposed to "what your name, where you come from, where you stay"

# no need to say much about business ladies since it seems they are at most nightlife spots especially in tourist areas

# nice decor

# good sound system

# one side hip hop with Asia's greatest DJ, DJ Domination (according to his website)

# second area for techno/trance, nice atmosphere

# quite a nice complimentary buffet

# great location almost literally at the stairs of the BTS, Chidlom. basement arcade of Intercontinental Hotel

# singha beer 180 baht,

• 2 weeks later...

How is the turnout lately? Seems like they are competing directly with Insomnia who has a much better location and a well-known reputation. I wish them the best but I can't see how they will compete and survive. Rumors are that Insomnia is not doing well. I don't frequent these places so don't take my word for it. It just seems this year there have been too much competition amongst the after hours clubs.

At 180 bt a singha beer they will not be in business for long surely,4 quid a bottle! :realangry: the review was great until the price you listed,way over the top.

I agree. No matter how good the club, people don't like to feel they are being ripped off, and 180 baht per bottle is a complete rip off. I would rather go somewhere where people care about the music and their customers, not somewhere that just wants to rip you off.

At 180 bt a singha beer they will not be in business for long surely,4 quid a bottle! :realangry: the review was great until the price you listed,way over the top.

I agree. No matter how good the club, people don't like to feel they are being ripped off, and 180 baht per bottle is a complete rip off. I would rather go somewhere where people care about the music and their customers, not somewhere that just wants to rip you off.

If I had a 5k Baht bar bill it wouldn't bother me....nut 180 Baht for a Singha is disgusting. Value for money seems to be missing in the club scene of Bangkok.....shame cos the review otherwise was great.

How come beer is so expensive in BKK? 180 baht for singha? It's not even that expensive in London.

If your moniker alludes to an affinity - past or present - with the Notting Hill/Portobello area of W. London, I'd have thought you'd be used to £4 or £5 beers. God knows my wallet was when I lived there :(

There are loads of places that charge 200 baht for a beer and their businesses are still in rude health. Bed, Q Bar, Shock39, Spicy, Bossy, Swing and several others spring to mind.

When sterling was still a currency worth having, 200 baht was £2.80 but I guess things have changed a little since then

How come beer is so expensive in BKK? 180 baht for singha? It's not even that expensive in London.

If your moniker alludes to an affinity - past or present - with the Notting Hill/Portobello area of W. London, I'd have thought you'd be used to £4 or £5 beers. God knows my wallet was when I lived there :(

There are loads of places that charge 200 baht for a beer and their businesses are still in rude health. Bed, Q Bar, Shock39, Spicy, Bossy, Swing and several others spring to mind.

When sterling was still a currency worth having, 200 baht was £2.80 but I guess things have changed a little since then

Well spotted. Yes I'm from Portobello and used to expensive London prices. But even places like Ministry of Sound and other only charge £4.50. Many decent London clubs charge £3.50-£4. I just don't get how they can get away with those prices here, especially when they are for local beers. I can understand if it's imported, but 200 baht for Singha? I suppose the ones that get away with it are the ones offering a good service and clients who cn afford it. But many places in BKK seem to be half empty or closed. I'm surely this is partly due to the pricing. I would rather support good places where I don't feel like I'm being ripped off. Good luck to them if they can get away with it.