New Helmet Laws Introduced As Fatality Rate Soars In Thailand

webfact

3/ Why are motorcycles resticted to the most dangerous lane on the streets of Thailand?

(All motorcycle are supposed to ride only in the far left hand lane? This by far is THE most dangerous lane, every taxi and every bus will stop or has to stop in the right hand lane, but they don't have to stay in that lane. If you ride a motorcycle here (and I do), try going around buses, even if briefly,,as soon as a policemen sees you you are automatically pulled over for not staying in the right hand lane. I was told that MOTORCYCLE are the slower moving vehicles, thus must stay in the right hand lane. I think a bus is much slower than a motorcycle, maybe the buses should stay in the right hand lane?.)

One comment here. The law specify that motorcycles must drive in the left most lane if the road has 2 or less lanes, if a road has 3 or more lanes, then motorcycle can drive in lanes 1 and 2. The law also state that motorcycles must stick to the left so if there is a hard shoulder, then motorcycles must use it

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many problems that are not being addressed

1/ How many of those motorcycles have no working headlight or taillight?

(Have you ever noticed how many people's headlights and taillights are burned out?)

2/ Children most certainly should have a helmet. There are very small children helmets made, but  have never seen them in this country.

(There should at least be a mandatory helmet rule up to the age of 18 or 21.

3/ Why are motorcycles resticted to the most dangerous lane on the streets of Thailand?  

(All motorcycle are supposed to ride only in the far left hand lane? This by far is THE most dangerous lane, every taxi and every bus will stop or has to stop in the right hand lane, but they don't have to stay in that lane. If you ride a motorcycle here (and I do), try going around buses, even if briefly,,as soon as a policemen sees you you are automatically pulled over for not staying in the right hand lane. I was told that MOTORCYCLE are the slower moving vehicles, thus must stay in the right hand lane. I think a bus is much slower than a motorcycle, maybe the buses should stay in the right hand lane?.)

4/ Why are motorcycles not allowed on the motorway? Perhaps motorcycles that are 150cc and up should be allowed on teh motorway, helmets would be mandatory and motorcycles would have to purchase some special sticker that shows it's allowed on the motorway and pay some small fee each year to assist the motorways that are very under used right now. just these tings would reduce deaths of motorcycle riders and children drastically.

Just suggestions ,

spiderED

For God sake man the last thing we neede is bikes on the motor ways, and I assumed lights on bikes here was opptional ?

I was amazed when I came here and found motorcycles are not allowed on the motorway. Motorways are far safer than normal roads. In the UK, unless it's been changed, minimum size is 250cc to use the motorway, that makes sense, must be able to keep up with other traffic. But here no matter how large the motorcycle you can't use the motorway. And yes, you are expected to ride in the most dangerous lane on normal roads. 

First off, I totally and completely disagree with the figures given, and much more likely to believe this one: (Hope mods will allow it for educational and information)

http://www.thaiwebsites.com/healthcare%282%29.asp

Injuries and Accidents

Way to many young people still die unnecessarily in Thailand due to car and (mostly) motorcycle accidents. The actual number of deaths on the road is reportedly around 30,000. Many more of course get maimed for live, or require expensive medical care (if they can afford it). Reasons are discussed forever. High alcohol consumption is to blame and the government has started implementing various measures to reduce alcohol consumption. Thailand has one of the highest per capita consumption of alcohol in the world.

Motorcycle deaths of course are mostly among young males. Still too common (especially in the side streets) one sees youngsters driving around without helmet protection. Motorcycle taxis seem to be allowed to carry passengers without requiring them to wear an helmet.

Especially in view of the rapidly declining birth rates in Thailand, the thousands of people killed yearly in motorcycle accidents will be surely missed in the future.

motorcycletaxis.jpgMotorcycle taxis waiting for customers at the entrance to Sukhumvit soi 19. It is a fast but not safe way of transport down the sois. We recommend you walk at all times. Besides alcohol, driving carelessly and dangerously is mainly an educational problem. There seems to be serious difficulty in making young males realize that the time of the 'male-warrior' has passed, and that macho behaviour is not really that necessary anymore. The 'boys will be boys' attitude however is still well engrained in the culture. Behavioural change in this regard is highly warranted.

As far as we know, it is still allowed to use mobile phones while driving. We have been almost ran over by cars on intersection by drivers on the phone. In return, we have received a Thai smile on occasion. We remember reading a comment in one newspapers that Thai people are 'different' and are able to make phone conversations while driving without any problem.

While discussing this issue on another forum, one of my suggestions was that every day the police pick a school and check every kid coming out on a motorbike. No helmet? 500 baht fine, with receipt. No license? Same fine. Under aged? Park the bike, chain it, make the parents come get, 5,000 baht fine. Keep a record. Different school next day,but the same things. Month later come back to first school and do again. First offenders, same fine as before. Second offenders - 10,000 fine, lose the bike for 30 days.

And in Chiang Mai when I hear parents say the motorbike is the only way their kids can get to school, I tell them that is wrong, because there are plenty of songtows, and most of the schools around here also have mini buses that will pick up the kids.

Less than a year ago I made a somewhat sarcastic comment to one of my neighbors about how they didn't love their beautiful 14 yr old daughter very much. They were shocked by my comment and said they loved her more than anything. I told them: "No you don't, because you allow her to drive to school on a Fino, without a helmet, when she's not legally old enough to even be driving." They laughed and said I was farang and didn't understand this is Thaland.

About 2 weeks later they were no longer laughing when that beautiful girl was killed, her body mangled beyond recognition, when she was killed by a very large truck.

Couple of months ago I was heading into Chiang Mai on the Airport highway and got passed by 3 boys, none of whom could have been over the age of 13, none of them with a helmet, on a Scoopy doing about 90k, laughing and weaving in and out of traffic. At the exit to Hang Dong I saw them again. One was dead, his head split open like a ripe melon, the other two seriously injured.

In the 4 years I've been here I can't even count the number of deaths and serious injuries I've seen from motorbike accidents, and in 95% of them the drivers and passengers were not wearing helmets.

I grew up on bikes, getting my first minibike at 8, and later did some dirt and moto-cross racing, and I wouldn't dream of getting on a bike, without full face helmet and jacket. I now have a new CBR 150i, and had the old model CBR 150, and before the key went into the ignition, I put on my protective racing jacket and full helmet. They've saved me from serious injury many times.

One comment here. The law specify that motorcycles must drive in the left most lane if the road has 2 or less lanes, if a road has 3 or more lanes, then motorcycle can drive in lanes 1 and 2. The law also state that motorcycles must stick to the left so if there is a hard shoulder, then motorcycles must use it

Not correct. motorcycles, by law have to ride in the left most lane at all times, regardless of the number of lanes. Overtaking an operational bus that is collecting/alighting passengers is illegal. Overtaking a parked vehicle is not illegal but the motorcycle must stay as close to the left lane as possible. unfortunately i found this out after being stopped three times on the Sukhumvit Road in the space of about 3kms. My wife bought a book 'The Road Law in Thailand' and she explained it to me.

Anyway, this is totally off topic.

Where are the responsible parents? that's laughable. there is no reason for them to be responsible if they don't have to be, there are no responsible police. There is no consequence for one's actions in this country, the parents don't have to be bothered with enforcing laws that are supposed to protect the children because nothing will happen if they don't. Until action comes starting from the top, nothing at the bottom is going to change. The Thai have become like spoiled children, and at this stage of the game, change is not easy to do but does have to be done. Rather than imposing a fine on one's family, better to take the chance of them being maimed or killed, think of the now. <_<

Not correct. motorcycles, by law have to ride in the left most lane at all times, regardless of the number of lanes. Overtaking an operational bus that is collecting/alighting passengers is illegal. Overtaking a parked vehicle is not illegal but the motorcycle must stay as close to the left lane as possible. unfortunately i found this out after being stopped three times on the Sukhumvit Road in the space of about 3kms. My wife bought a book 'The Road Law in Thailand' and she explained it to me.

Anyway, this is totally off topic.

Not correct. Traffic laws as of 2522 I think it was specifically state that motorcycles are only allowed to drive in the left-most lane on roads with max 2 lanes and are allowed to drive in the 2 left-most lanes if the road has 3 or more lanes, if the road doesn't have a designated hard shoulder.

That's why you see police booking motorcyclists driving in lane 3 and 4 and letting the ones that drive in lane 1 and 2 go on Ratchada Rd every just-before month end

Edit: You are correct that the law state that you should chitt sai (keep to the left), the law does not state that you have to stay in the left most lane on a road with 3 or 4 lanes like Sukhumvit Rd that doesn't have a designated hard shoulder though. The police have perhaps tried to give you a paper where they tick that you didn't chit sai, they either chose to forget the other part of the law or you got stuck in the trick that only lanes not designated to turning are counted, The police don't count lanes turning

Edited by MikeyIdea

Current thinking is: Helmets don't work! Doesn't matter what quality. After years of research some American states are repealing helmet laws. Thinking is, if you stop hard against something your brain doesn't stop inside your cranium and smashes against it. Result pulp! The way to stop fatalities is to not drive like a moron and make sure the bike is fit for purpose.

Yes ... it's much better for your head to hit the ground directly and break open, rather than possibly get injured inside a helmet.

You can stop driving like a moron, but that doesn't stop everyone else stopping driving like that.

You miss the point entirely!

The meer idea of "zones" shows that the advocate simply does not know the existing laws.

But of course "zones" are good fodder for useless government employees, to keep them in 'work' .. they can dordle around arguing when a zone is not a zone, and of course be equipped with documents on the matter. Documents need authors, printers, distributors, 'enforcers' (well ... ) And of course all zones need exemptions. Now exemptions can add reems of fine print, ... which requires more of everything and everyone.

Geee! See how good it is to have zones?

Helmets vs. salad bowls:

I saw a solid, full-face helmet in a shop for THB 2,000 on an ex-home visit in Switzerland & bought it. That country won't allow any street gear that hasn't been tested to insanely high standards, and Switzerland also happens to be one of the more expensive places on this planet. It's Made in Vietnam, and you can't tell me that it wouldn't also be possible to sell those in Thailand, at 2% of the cost of a scooter.

Better yet: start a state-sponsored factory [in Isaan, creating jobs and local income], produce proper helmets to high quality/DOT standards, and sell them for THB 1,000 or less -- while outlawing cheap salad bowls! That of course wouldn't make anyone wear a helmet who doesn't today, but it might just save lives amongst those who do wear helmets today, but only have the choice between salad bowls and exorbitantly priced big-name helmets.

To all of those well-meaning farangs who want Thailand to be the same as your country...

If Thailand were to become as law-abiding as the country you've left, what would be the point of staying here? IMHO one of the more endearing facets of the Thais is that they choose which laws they obey and which ones they flout. We pathetic farangs are servants to every new law that the greedy politicians put in place to extract more money from us.

Indeed this is the very reason some of us "escape" to the LOS. I for one defend their right to wear a helmet or not, to live or to die by their own actions. That is what has made any country great, not robotic adherence to law, nor efforts to corral, bully and threaten individuals into compliance, however well-meaning those efforts might be.

We need fewer laws not more. Decent people don't need them, and bad people don't obey them.

Long live the defiant spirit of the wonderful Thai people, and shame on us for letting our own countries degenerate to the point where we wish to live elsewhere in order to be free.

I can assume from your post you're here because of the lax respect for the law, don't assume I am. <_<

This helmet laws has nothing to do with extracting money from servants to the tax system. :o

If you are of a certain age, then you should not have to wear a helmet. I totally agree, stupid is as stupid does. :blink:

Making a child where a helmet and eye protection is not bullying nor threatening, but protecting the rights of the child. Don't the children have a right to be protected even if their parents are not smart enough or too lazy to do it themselves? One of the first things i noticed when coming here years ago was the amount of eye damage among the Thai people, it must mostly come from motorbikes. B)

Fewer laws? then people wouldn't be breaking the law because their wouldn't be one, and therefore let the people be responsible for the maimed or parent-less children. :huh:

long live stupidity! it is one's right regardless of who it affects! This might be the dumbest post I've ever seen. <_<

First off, I totally and completely disagree with the figures given, and much more likely to believe this one: (Hope mods will allow it for educational and information)

http://www.thaiwebsi...care%282%29.asp

Way to many young people still die unnecessarily in Thailand due to car and (mostly) motorcycle accidents. The actual number of deaths on the road is reportedly around 30,000. Many more of course get maimed for live, or require expensive medical care (if they can afford it). Reasons are discussed forever. High alcohol consumption is to blame and the government has started implementing various measures to reduce alcohol consumption. Thailand has one of the highest per capita consumption of alcohol in the world.

I also agree that the reported 11,000 probably is too low, I don't know where the real figure is but I bet it's quite a lot higher than 11,000.

Important to point out though is that traffic in Thailand has really gotten much much safer over the years, even many taxi drivers are much better drivers now a days, I'm not joking, you should have seen the average skill 20 years ago :)

And when will the morons in government decide to have CAR DRIVER EDUCATION so they stop hitting the motorcyclists.

They are as much to blame for accidents as the reckless motorcyclists.

Illegal 500 baht licenses, little or no practical testing for real licenses, aggressive careless driving, no cellphone use but you can still watch a DVD while driving 555, hit and runs every single day in Bangkok, etc, etc....

"Designated compulsory helmet wearing zones"???? 5555555555 Just when you think that the government can't get any stupider, they show that they SURE CAN!:) 55555

I'd love to know what the average Thai person thinks of the government in Thailand and their incredible show of constant stupidity.

Edited by pogal

As long as it's legal for bikes to weave in and out between the cars they are going to get hit, don't blame the cars for that one. On the other hand, it seems the location of choice for so many of these drivers is to straddle the line in the road which must seem easier than deciding to choose either the left side or the right side of it. So as long as people are going to use the road, not drive responsibly on them, make them wear seat belts, and helmets, or at least make the children be buckled in and wearing a helmet if on a motorbike. If there is no helmet for an infant, then maybe they don't belong on a motorbike. :huh:

I was amazed when I came here and found motorcycles are not allowed on the motorway. Motorways are far safer than normal roads. In the UK, unless it's been changed, minimum size is 250cc to use the motorway, that makes sense, must be able to keep up with other traffic. But here no matter how large the motorcycle you can't use the motorway. And yes, you are expected to ride in the most dangerous lane on normal roads.

I'm surprised that motor bikes are not allowed over many of the (non-motorway) river bridges in Bangkok.

It never ceases to amaze me how so many of the people posting here do so for "Thai bashing" purposes. If you have nothing constructive or nice to say, keep your traps shut.

Sure helmets are a common sense thing to foreigners and educated peoples, but Thailand is not an industrial age leader in many ways.

The religion of Thais may play a big part in the "live in the now" approach to their view of the world.

@zakk9 Personally I think the Thai people are very hard working. I also think Thai people enjoy a lot of freedom from regulation up the yin yang, that binds the rest of the world in its so called freedoms.

What a joke, compulsory helmet zones!!!!! When a helmet is actually worn, it's one made of plastic. If the government is really serious about the issue, make it compulsory to wear helmets all the time by everyone on the bike. Setup a minimum standard for helmet quality, and educate Thai's that a motorbike was designed for a capacity of 2 max. Not an entire family of 5.

They are NOT serious about it because everyone knows that the bulk of motorcyclists are lo-so! Pretty simple if it doesn't affect the rich elite here then they couldn't give a rat's!mad.gif More rhetoric from fools to make it look good. Just like everything else here-just make it LOOK good!ph34r.gif

some foolish comments in here, don't you guys know the pavements and road ways are made of marshmallow outside government zones negating the need for a helmet. :whistling:

Actually i was in Krabi last week and went past a sign stating this particular area was a 'helmet zone'

They have these signs in Patong, it is not for the Thais, the police ignore them at the check points, just letting them drive by with no helmet. The police are too busy stopping farland, who have helmets on and fining these for not havoing their driving licence with them. having the wrong type of driving liceence, or because they do not like their shoes, whayever!

I can hardly stand to read anything in Thaivisa anymore because there are so many opinionated negative F'ing Nancy's. Go the F home if you don't like it here, or shut the F up once in a while. Sound like a bunch of old Bitches.

I'm NOT only referring to this post either.

That's my 2 cents....and a $3 helmets worth.

Next you'll all be experts regarding all those $3 construction hardhats, and saying they don't do any good in any of the western countries either.

Don't any of you actually have anything better to do than reading and blubbering about so many obvious issues?

Yeah, long day. So F it if you don't like my opinion.

From what I can see, many Thai parents dont have any capacity to say no to their children, about anything. If they want them to do something they have to tell them every time, every detail, otherwise it will not be done. Many times here around my home I see kids just take the motorbikes without asking and as they are driving out the gate someone says where are you going and some half intelligible response is shouted into the wind. There might be some idle threat of retribution but everything is forgotten in Thailand within 5 minutes and the next time the parents want the kids to go buy something, its completely allowed. I wont let any unlicensed unhelmeted person go buy anything for me, which means all the people within shouting distance.

I think there must be some unwritten convention via which the police dont hassle school students about licenses, registration, roadworthiness or helmets. I watch the cop outside my kids school and he pulls over and warns many of the vehicles that go past the school mostly (for overloading or top/front loading passengers mainly Cambodian farm labourers) but blithely ignores any vehicle with a school child in it or on it including some of the song thaews equally over/front/top loaded with children. I dont think he is as lazy as some so he must have been told not to worry about them. Something like, just get em to school first then later we'll worry about how, no that cant be right because that involves an element of thinking and planning, wouldn't happen

There have been 3 motorcycle fatalities within 4k of my home in the last 18 months all young, male, alone, head injuries 2 involving other vehicles at least one drunk and I'm well away from main roads and large population centres. Whats the point, I think Thailand started thinking about road safety about 50 years after many other countries and it will probably take many more years and clearly another generation before any action is effective, even in Australia only 30 years ago the police turned a blind eye to drunks on the road.

I can hardly stand to read anything in Thaivisa anymore because there are so many opinionated negative F'ing Nancy's.

Go the F home if you don't like it here, or shut the F up once in a while. Sound like a bunch of old Bitches.

I'm NOT only referring to just this post either.

That's my 2 cents....and a $3 helmets worth.

Next you'll all be experts regarding all those $3 construction hardhats, and saying they don't do any good in any of the western countries either.

Don't any of you actually have anything better to do than reading and blubbering about so many obvious issues?

Yeah, long day. So F it if you don't like my opinion.

End of rant.

;-)

Edited by johnefallis

SO many under aged riders with no training and no licences, so why do the police not clamp down that would go a long way to stopping this crazy death toll and of so many young souls with their whole lives ahead of them. Irresponsible parents letting their kids do this, in fact it YOU know of an under-age rider then report it to your local police station. I think the legal age is 15 or is it like the UK and 16 but cannot find a reliable source for this information to confirm it. and then my Thai wife and I will be sending her 14 year old boy to riding school classes when he is 15 and he wil have to have earned a licence before we allow him to ride a motorbike.

So many causes of motorbike accidents, but my pet hates are:- going down the wrong side of the road; no lights on the bike at night (lights should be on and working at all times!); 3 or more on a bike and with no helmets; turning right from the left hand lane at traffic lights right across the front of cars going straight on; going the wrong away around roundabouts; riding in the middle of the road or way too far out in the road etc etc. The police MUST take more action as that would be THE big positive action and would at a stroke reduce the death toll considerably as it would soon start to work with a big police crack down. Police should regularly make spot checks to see that riders have a licence to ride their bike and that they are always wearing a crash helmet, and that their bikes have all working lights and are in safe ridable condition and big 500 Baht fines if not.

We really do not need MORE road traffic laws as the ones we have here are perfectly good and sound and adequate, we just need to see those laws FULLY ENFORCING. Heck the police would even make more tea money from such a crackdown :o Maybe cynically the police know the kids have little or no available tea money on them but they could get the money off of their parents .. oh yes I see that would be no good as it would then not be available as tea money but official fine money then :whistling: Oh and NO I am not knocking Thailand as I love it here, but just stating what should be the the obvious and thus trying to knock some intelligent common sense into the authorities (and parents who cannot control their spoiled children) who spout on about saving lives from road accidents yet seem to do little to enforce the sensible laws that ARE in place and DO considerably help prevent many road accidents.

Edited by rayw

I think just getting the new generation to accept that wearing a helment (no matter how bad it is) is a step in the right direction. As soon as it becomes the norm, it will soon become a game of fashion and status.. the more expensive your helment, the higher on the pecking order... it would work.. wouldn't it? :blink:

I suggest NO fines. Then we have no "poverty" issues to deal with. Just impound the bike 1 day for the first offence, 3 days for the second and 1 week for the third. People despise walking, so they soon will all be wearing the best helmet that they can afford!

Problem solved! now if we only had a way to keep your hair pretty...the world would be perfect. :unsure:

Perhaps relevant, many people do not hold the handrail on escalators, not just lo so but hi-so. Holding the handrail is not about fashion or vanity as many people are injured or killed on escalators worldwide each year.

I have seen apparent hi-so women on a very long escalator going down either texting or reading a book. Escalators like the one at Silom mrt that goe 2-3 levels.

Thai = does it not mean "free" freedom to live and freedom to die or be maimed. This is not criticism, only observation.

I also don't understand about the zones, since the original zones were eliminated years ago and helmets were made compulsory on all roads. Why would you want to reduce injuries only around government offices?

Apart from enforcing the existing law which is not done effectively, they need to amend the law to specify minimum standards of helmets acceptable. As a first step the helmet should at least look like a motor cycle helmet. It would easy enough for police to fine people wearing thin plastic helmets made to look like WW2 German army helmets or London bobby's helmets. Standards for real motorcycle helmets should be addressed through regulating manufacturers, importers and retailers with huge fines for selling garbage. I remember reading in TV about a prominent retailer on Ratchadapisek that was selling a large batch of Shoei helmets imported from Mexico where they had passed their legal sell by dates. Glue and other materials deteriorate after a few years - quicker in tropical climates.

Even if the motor cyclists don't mind ending up dead or as vegetables, the cost of their stupidity to the state is excessive, not to mention the cost to other motorists who are aggressively extorted by police after a fatal collision with a motor cyclist. These deaths should be better categorised as suicides for legal purposes.

Edited by Arkady

Almost two years ago a law was introduced requiring people to wear helmets when riding motorcycles. I remember because I used to take a motorcycle taxi to work and that morning, I was handed a helmet for the first time in five years.

"Wow, this is new. What's the story?" I asked the driver.

"New law," he said.

That same day I took a motorcycle taxi again. Same driver, but this time, no helmet.

"Why no helmet? I thought it was the law."

"No police now," he said.

"Ah, I see ... No police, no law?"

"Correct. No police, no law."

I think this sums up the issue well. The law is not in the hearts of the people. It is externally enforced, and done so in a corrupt way, so there is no respect for the law. A year later, I bought a motorcycle and was stopped several times over the course of two months by police standing in a line, about a dozen, all in the left lane on Sukhumvit. By law, motorcycle drivers on that road must drive in the left lane. But you couldn't, because they were standing in it. Finally, after paying several thousand baht in "adjustment fees", I was furious.

"This is ridiculous! You all are standing in the lane, so how can I drive in it? Two blocks over, there are motorcyclists driving on sidewalks!" The policeman told my wife that I needed to learn how to speak to policemen in Thailand. I looked at his gun and handcuffs and realized it was a no-win situation.

Later, during the political protests, I just drove around the line of police. Swerved around them, actually, and hit the gas. I now know the law is meaningless and the people enforcing it are mobsters with guns. I have no respect for most policemen in Thailand. And I have learned to play the game.

Another time I was pulled over and I handed over a driver's license with a 100 baht bill tucked under it. The policeman looked at me and smiled.

"You, very good. How long you stay in Thailand?"

"Long time."

He patted me on the back and motioned me forward. That was the cheapest fine I've ever paid.

So many posters with so many wonderful ideas, all overlooking the 900lb gorilla in the corner; Thailand is a democracy where most of the voters ride motorcycles. If draconian laws are passed/enforced the govt initiating will be toast at the next election. In western countries the numbers of bike riders are far lower and the nanny state can run amok with impunity. In Viet Nam they don't give a dam_n what the people like or not. NOT HERE!

Quite a few years back, a proposed helmet law for Colorado was dropped when statistics showed that there were more brain injuries for ONE model of Jeep 4WD (a rag-top from memory) than all motorcycles. Riders successfully argued that if helmets were mandatory for bikes, it should also apply to other vehicles. The politicians did a quick total of the vote impact, and forgot the whole thing.

Car drivers and passengers would be much safer if they wore helmets. Do you? If you really love your children, why don't you strap them in safety capsules, and force them to wear helmets and inflatable suits in your rich man's 4wd which is more prone to roll-over than a sedan? You can afford beer and a phone, so why not?.

BTW bicycle helmet laws are being quietly dropped all round the world. Why? Many cities are promoting bicycle rental schemes as an alternative public transport; they are not a success if a helmet law is enforced, and stats show they have very little effect on injury totals.

Most head injuries are from a fall of 1m. It doesn't matter how fast you are going, forward motion has little effect on the force of the head hitting the road. Cases where the victim slides along the road and then into something (a gutter, pole, or stopped vehicle) are significantly less frequent.

* Despite all the protestations about the 'tupperware' helmets here, they are still MUCH better than nothing. They would probably help in 50% of cases where a head injury would be fatal. a 1M fall from the saddle to the road is not a huge amount of force to be overcome by a helmet. The biggest problem with them is not the material, but that the helmet can move easily on the head, and doesn't protect the back of the skull sufficiently. They also do not prevent over-rotation of the head, and resultant neck injury.

* For 600 Baht you can buy a pretty descent helmet, (DoT Thailand Approved). I feel, about equivalent to the helmets you can buy in Australia for $Au70, which are road legal. I think these would probably work in 95% of cases where no helmet would be fatal.

* Studies question the safety of higher spec (snell) helmets available in 'The West'. The theory is that, the higher spec helmets are too strong for 95% of real world accidents, they don't absorb enough of the impact. The helmets are designed to protect your head in the 5% of the highest impact accident where a lesser helmet may not, but you would most likely have suffered significant bodily injuries that would be fatal anyway.

* I have NEVER seen any responable research that would indicate that NO helmet is a good idea. I call bullshit and/or personal opinion on that one. I have heard people say they feel a helmet reduces their vision and other senses while riding, and that they feel this makes them more dangerous. Again, I call bullshit, and believe it is just a convienient arguement to support their decision.

* Sure there are plenty of other issues that contribute to Thailands ridiculously high road toll. I would hate to see Thailand's roads become the over-regulated, nanny state situation in Australia. But I don't think helmets greatly impact on individual freedoms, and would significantly reduce road deaths, and the resultant misery experienced by families.

* I sometimes ride without a helmet, and I sometimes ride when I have had too much to drink. I am no angel. But I don't think drunk, helmetless riding should be lawful just so I can do it. Do the crime, do the time.

Cheers,

Daewoo

Why not start teaching the youngster at schools and uni's the type of head injuries that you get from not wearing a helmet show slide/ photo's of accidents,and try to hit home to them about over loading the passengers / sitting side saddle. And let the police book more students for breaking the law, if they can't pay the fine make the parents pay or take the motocy off them.Let the police book them any day of the week not just certain days when they are short of money.

This is what SHOULD be done!!!

Making it 'illegal' not to wear a helmet is just somebody's 'Is it my turn to sound good?' speech as it IS illegal already, but we know the police only have a 'crack down' on the odd days and areas they can be bothered to!! Therefore, yup, get into the schools and actually TEACH the kids what will happen if they have a crash NOT wearing one.. also, try interjecting the Thai's bloody stupid soaps and daytme TV with some harsh realities and lessons, re: ANY road-users (soon to be shortened!!) life without awareness, for God sake!!!

Maybe my school, amongst so many others, would be at least a couple of students to the good, if this was and had ever been been a serious commitment to save lives. Myself and my fellow English teacher (ALWAYS wearing helmets on our bikes and ALWAYS trying to set some example!) tell the kids all the time.. also no-one, including my lady (another teacher) gets on my bike, even as passenger, without a helmet, fully strapped and secure!!

The Why's and Wherefore's of Wearing a Helmet.. maybe I'll make that next weeks English lesson!!! :redcard2:B):whistling:

:wai: