Amita

Deserted

Hi guys, I was reading this article http://www.smh.com.au/travel/24-hours-in-bangkok-20101210-18sa5.html and I got to the point 8.30 am where the author says ' ...your destination: Amita Thai Cooking Class.This cooking school (Amita is Thai for ''eternity'')...

I can't find 'Amita'/'Amitra' anywhere. Can someone confirm or refine the meaning please.

Thanks

I think part of the problem could be them spelling thai words with engrish letters :blink:

The closest word I could find which carries the connotation of 'eternity, forever, undying, is อมต and pronounced like aL maH dtaL.

Here's the Thai Language Dot Com Dictionary link to the word;

อมต Thai Language Dot Com

Hope it helps. ... :)

Then again it could possibly be the wrong word. ;) Although I did find an alternate spelling of it อมตะ too. ..

Edited by tod-daniels

Amita in Sanskrit means "boundless, infinite" (opposite of mita "to measure"). I guess the Thai equivalent would be "อมิตา", though that only seems to be used in names and isn't found in dictionaries.

Amitra, on the other hand, means "enemy" (opposite of mitra "friend"). The Thai for that is อมิตร.

Amita in Sanskrit means "boundless, infinite" (opposite of mita "to measure"). I guess the Thai equivalent would be "อมิตา", though that only seems to be used in names and isn't found in dictionaries.

It would seem to also be related to มาตร "measure", and to the English words "mete", "meter/metre", and "measure" itself.

One person I can think of with the word in their name is singer Tata Young: her full name is อมิตา มารี ยัง Amita Marie Young.