Tesolonline.com

pumper

after several 2 - 4 week vacations in Thailand over the past 8 years I am ready to try an extended stay in Thailand.

I am considering getting my TESOL certificate.

but the 4 weeks in Thailand for school is more than I want to do.

http://www.tesolonline.com offers an oline class with 1 or 2 week 'live' teaching on Phuket.

total cost US$700 - $1100... class & teaching.

opinions?

better options?

& what are 'real' employment options for a 60 YO farang that has never taught before?

thanks in advance.

pumper

You can always get a job teaching English if you are a native English speaker. The question is which job and how much pay. Hundreds of jobs paying 25000THB/month with 25 hour workloads. With a TEFL certificate you might get 35000.

I recommend taking the Text and Talk Course; but it is six weeks at an easier 4 day/week pace.

Just wait until you decide to move here and then take the course in your first few weeks.Then you are set to teach.

If you do not need the money at your age, forget it because teaching here in LOS is filled with problems along with the low pay.

Cheers

thanks for the reply.

what is the "Text and Talk Course"?

unfortunately all my 2, 3 & 4 week vacations have me in a situation where some income is required. ( lack of work ethic has obviously played into my financial situition ) ...

+

it seems meeting Thai & Farang away from the 'bar scene' would be of benefit.

100% of my contact with Thai have been Sukhumvet / Walking Street / Bangla Road ... & have never made any expat Farang contacts.

+

there is a junior college / community college here in the US that needs English teachers for Spanish speaking kids.. I called & they prefer a 4 year degree in education, but are in a bind with all the non English students in the US now.. said they'd consider a degreed person w/ a certificate.

I do have 2 college degrees ( I enjoy school ).

pretty much set to try one of the courses.

here's one in Hat Yi for 27,000 Tbt for 3 1/2 weeks including r&b!

http://www.stamfordcollege.org/page23.htm

obvious why a Hat Yi school is discounted.

Edited by pumper

here's one in Hat Yi for 27,000 Tbt for 3 1/2 weeks including r&b!

http://www.stamfordcollege.org/page23.htm

obvious why a Hat Yi school is discounted.

A friend of mine took this Course in Hat Yai and then began teaching at the AUA Language Center here in Bangkok. He said he like this school, especially since room and board are included. If you dont mind being in the South with the Muslim terro risk, go for it.

Text and Talk is another program that is offered in several places I believe. Google search for it and you should come up with all the info you need.

Hundreds of jobs paying 25000THB/month with 25 hour workloads.

That's contact hours, though. Many places, particularly the government schools, will expect you to hang around for a lot longer than that. Seven day weeks are by no means unheard of in Thailand. They will even extend you the privilege of having to sign-in or perhaps clock-in every day, like some blue-collar factory worker. If you're very lucky, they may even let you serve lunch to the kids.

If you do not need the money at your age, forget it because teaching here in LOS is filled with problems along with the low pay.

Amen.

Edited by Rumpole

i searched google for hat yi

my post on this forum .. in this thread turned up third..

obviously not much info about hat yi .. :-o))))))

from google page:

3. Thailand Forum -> Tesolonline.com

here's one in Hat Yi for 27000 Tbt for 3 1/2 weeks including r&b! http://www.stamfordcollege.org/page23.htm obvious why a Hat Yi school is discounted. ...

www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=42618 - 67k -

google search 'hat yi' page:

http://www.google.com/search?q=hat+yi&sour...:en-US:official

i searched google for hat yi

my post on this forum .. in this thread turned up third..

obviously not much info about hat yi .. :-o))))))

Or maybe you got so few hits because it is more commonly spelled "Hat Yai".

Try googling that.

You're not that famous.

Yet.

jb

dear senior member beet,

obviously the newbie pumpster is less than a house hold name.(thank goodness)

my point was (obviously) not about an anomious dummie poster that cannot spell, but was about this forum being searched by google..

I personally found that interesting.. suprising even ..

Why? ?? obviously it wasn't.

& I was no better at expressing a concise point than i am at spelling!

for my self imposed corrective action hat yai 100 times:

1. hat yai, 2. hat yai, 3. hat yai, 4. hat yai, 5. hat yai, 6. hat yai ... 99. hat yai, 100. hat yai.

now back to google to see if your post made the list!

or to find information on hat yai.

I obviously made a stupid mistake & was not contending that pummpy was more than a couble lose bytes, 0s & 1s, passing through this portal in cyber space.