Next Thailand Election Has Nothing To Do With The Public Interest

webfact

THAI TALK

Next election has nothing to do with the public interest

By Suthichai Yoon

The Nation

med_gallery_327_1086_14762.jpg

Is there really anything exciting about the fact that Premier Abhisit Vejjajiva told reporters last week that "it is possible" he could dissolve Parliament and call a general election in March or April next year?

The short answer is no. The longer answer is: So what? What has that got to do with people's real participation in a genuine democratic system?

It's not earth-shaking news that the emergency decree covering Bangkok and outlying areas will be lifted before the New Year (to be replaced by a tough security law). Neither can the Abhisit government claim any special credit for suggesting that the Centre for the Resolution of the Emergency Situation (CRES) be disbanded.

The government is apparently making virtue out of necessity. There can no longer be any valid reasons to keep the "special body to enforce special decrees under special circumstances", now that both the red and yellow shirts have shown themselves responsible enough to hold public rallies in a peaceful manner.

Abhisit himself admits that at least two of his original three pre-conditions for going to the polls have now been met: The country's economy has picked up significantly, and the constitutional amendments that can be accepted by most of the parties concerned are due to be voted on, when the House reconvenes soon.

The only moot point left is whether the red and yellow shirts will refrain from disrupting opposition election campaigning in their own areas of influence.

So far, the signs from both sides seem to indicate that they will abide by their pledges to stick to peaceful means of protest.

That should be positive news. We should all be celebrating the return to a "normal" life. But alas, it's exactly because we seem to be "back to the normal business of politics" that is so discouraging.

The opportunistic vote-getters are back. Political parties are fighting over the size of electoral zones, not how to improve the quality of politics or the standard of living of their constituents. The most hard-fought issues from now until the election is called won't be about how politicians can avoid offering excuses to ambitious military officers who might want to stage another coup. Rather, the political party leaders are searching every possible loophole in the law and administrative system to seek their own advantages in preparation for the election campaign.

The heated debate on whether to amend the charter to make it "more democratic" has gone nowhere. When Abhisit first raised the question of "brainstorming all parties concerned to arrive at a set of new rules that will benefit the country", he led most people to think that he was talking about rewriting the Constitution in such a comprehensive way that the people's wishes would finally be taken seriously.

As it turned out, the promise to hold a referendum on the issue has been conveniently jettisoned. The only issue left for the House to consider is whether to reduce the size of a constituency down to one MP, the main demand by small and medium-sized parties which still stand to benefit in the upcoming poll.

That's not an issue that concerns the public interest. Nor does it remotely address the crucial question of how the country can get back on track through national reconciliation and the raising of the standard of politics in the country.

This, when all is said and done, means that a new election won't resolve all the lingering problems plaguing the country: namely, rising corruption, declining competitiveness on the international stage, and the yawning gap between the urban rich and the rural poor.

All indications, on the other hand, point to more divisive election campaigns in which money politics holds sway because neither side can afford to lose this electoral game. And it will make further mockery of democracy.

Ironically, the question now is: What has an election got to do with the people anyway?

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-12-16

Election not for the public or in the public interest

An erection or rather useless election, is a democratic procedure, in which people choose soulless cash whoreswho they feel will bullshit them best. After the polls close, the people finally discover who they feel is the best corrupt bullshitter. This bullshitter assumes their erected position, representing the wealthy and corrupt until the next useless erection comes along.

“Democracy, for me, is a peaceful war of everyone against everyone”
~

Democracy is a form of government prevalent in the Western World where majority rules, baby, and 51 people can vote to take away things belonging to the other 49, such as money, ponies, and jet packs. That means for 49% of people in a Democracy, Democracy really, really sucks. After those poor saps have lost everything, the ones who gained everything find some other divisive issue to split themselves over. The entire country then forms a totally new majority over this issue. Lots of the new minority members got rich from being in the previous majority, so the process repeats itself.

Most things Thai especially government appendages have one goal: to amass money for personal gain. Thai people or their rights/well being are insignificant to the greedy bastards running this country. Just look at the 3g fiasco as one recent example. These power mongers could not care less a/b the average person and foreigners are even lower in consideration - except for the money they/we might bring/spend in the Land of Scams (LOS)

Nice piece. Elections in many countries are rarely about the people apart from convincing enough of them to vote for you while trying to keep others at home.

Chomsky has talked about manged elections which is a good way to describe how current representative democracy works world wide, and Thailand hasnt even achieved that level yet

Nice piece. Elections in many countries are rarely about the people apart from convincing enough of them to vote for you while trying to keep others at home.

Chomsky has talked about manged elections which is a good way to describe how current representative democracy works world wide, and Thailand hasnt even achieved that level yet

Certainly have to agree with you on the elections not being about people. The only hope we have is that the people who have a honest concern for the country can out think the opposition. Alas there might not be as many of them as we would like.

But as was pointed out on another thread the young people coming on the scene are getting western educations. I am 69 today and believe that I will see a real change for the betterment of Thailand before I cash in.

Part of the problem is the unwillingness to accept the reality that it will take time. Far to much time spend trying to fix it now not tomorrow a imposable goal. That just leaves the door open for more criticism and a endless circle of fix then criticize.:(

I love the way this is reported...

"... When Abhisit first raised the question of "brainstorming all parties concerned to arrive at a set of new rules that will benefit the country", he led most people to think that he was talking about rewriting the Constitution in such a comprehensive way that the people's wishes would finally be taken seriously.

<span class="Apple-style-span" style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); line-height: 19px; "><font class="Apple-style-span" face="Arial"><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-size: small;">And then the summary is the PM's fault the plan was jettisoned due to lack of support. Stupid really as he has the ideas but does not have the support. Thailand parliament needs to wake up that this guy is their best c

Most of us who have been in Thailand for some time are well aware that even if the election is held next year and all signs look good, if the those working behind the scenes do not like who was elected by the people of Thailand they will do what they wish to change the election results to a government that is more favorable to their liking, if too many rules come into play to stop the corruption, the political election process will be moved up sooner. This is life in LOS.

I may like to complain and write from time to time about the corruption, politics, and other issues that plague this beautiful country but like many of you, I'm staying, this is home for me, I cannot vote, I can't change the system directly, I can only do a little bit by raising the 5 thai children I have to be responsible citizens and do the right thing when they grow up......Avoid Policitcs..... :)

C