Ipod

markuk

i have an i pod its fine and works well

i think you should buy a sony psp they come with wi fi

you can store a load of music,pictures and you can watch movies on them AND play games

they are a good bit cheaper also

A Sony PSP might be cheaper, but it only comes with a 32Mb memory card. Add a 1Gb MS Pro Duo card, and it's around the same price as a 20Gb Ipod.

I'll admit - movies and games - the Sony wins hands down, but if you just want music (or lots of music and photos) - the Ipod wins, because it can store a lot more tracks.

As is normal for Apple products you pay a premium for superior design. The iPod has sold so well because it's so easy and intuitive to use. Combined with the Mac/PC software "iTunes" you have a wonderful music library organization system.

I never play a CD anymore. All of my music is ripped into iTunes and can be sent wirelessly to my stereo system. iTunes can create an infinite variety of playlists which can be downloaded to your iPod for your listening pleasure.

I have one of the original 5GB iPods. I replaced the battery once and the thing is still going strong.

I have an Ipod mini, it will sit it in your jeans pocket and u wouldnt even know its there.. Also if you get one of those wired tape things (car adapter) that sony used to give out with discmans, they will intergrate into yer car stereo no bother :o

I've got iPod 30GB. Had to be replaced soon after purchase - came with faulty HDD that rendered parts of the songs play like a broken record or not play at all.

Storing photos - the screen is about the size of what comes with a digital cam, don't know why would I ever need it for photos.

Wireless transmission to the radio: I wanted it for the car. It's nice to have back seat people play songs they like - it has 5m reach.

Good, but only if the car is not - moving.

Remote control: that piece CD players have to change and navigate through the tracks is separate item that you have to buy. When you connect it and have iPod in your back pocket, the wire hangs from there, down to the ground and up to your ear buds, almost 2m long. The physical connection is badly positioned so you can't really hide the wire, the most important part (the remote console) is right in the middle of it.

All in all - if the money did not come as an award at work, I would regret wasting it on iPod. Mostly because of iTunes. Since initial ordeal and music loading from my CDs, I am hesitant to even start the software and add more tracks, so it's more like fixed contents.

I'm interested in knowing why people don't like iTunes. I've used it for several years and find it both easy and handy. I've ripped my entire CD collection into it (not that many, I admit) so never play a CD anymore. I love the way iTunes lets you create dynamic playlists that are updated in real time.

However, I hate iPhoto; Apple's photo organizing program which has a similar interface to iTunes. I find it cumbersome, limiting and unintuitive. So, I use a shareware program (Graphic Converter) instead.

So, for those with an opinion: What is it that you don't like about iTunes?

Just downloaded iTunes 4.9 this morning.

4 times I had to Ctrl-Alt-Del and kill it. It even brought "Radio Bangkok" from this site into the play list.

To update iPod, it is asking me to insert disk into drve "F". Why the ###### does it want it? It stopped doing anything, had to kill it again.

Connected iPod is still showing (last 30 mins) on it's screen "Do not disconnect".

Why can't it be as simple as drag and drop files as in any other software in the world? Why does it not show the iPod as an extra disk? There are easier ways to manipulate songs on it than what iTunes forces you to use.

Looking forward for mobile phones with the same capabilities to come out and test iPod and iTunes existence in market. In Japan they should be ready soon.

I agree think_too_mut, sounds pretty awful. No such problems with the Mac version of iTunes.

I just bought an iPod mini for my daughter. She has a Sony Vaio with XP Home. She managed to install iTunes, rip a bunch of CD's and download some other music and transfer everything to the iPod with no problems and no help from me. She's 14.

Go figure.

Unfortunately, what makes the ipod interface so nice and fast is that it does not browse through all the files on the harddisk to show you the artist info, genre, etc. The program that loads the songs to the ipod not only copies the music files to the disk, but also prepares a database file on the disk that contains all the track info in one compact location for the Ipod to use when it is in play mode.

I had another harddisk MP3 player before, and I think the ipod interface is so much easier to use that I put up with this annoyance. Also, the ipod has very good sound quality compared to many of the players on the market (if played through good headphones or a good hifi). I've never used iTunes, but instead a program called "gtkpod" on Linux. It is still a bit annoying but I got familiar with how to wrangle it into shape... I prepare my MP3s with separate software and just point it at entire directories to "import" them. If I want, I can use gtkpod to edit/fixup typos in the MP3 file artist info, etc., but usually I am just importing everything in sight and then writing it all to the ipod at once.

I don't play around with adding/removing tracks but try to keep everything on the ipod. So, I only use gtkpod once in a while when I've ripped new CDs. Also, a few times I have had the ipod crashing or skipping on songs, and on a wild hunch I though it needed to be "defragmented". So, I reformatted the disk in USB2 disk mode, then reapplied all tracks at once with gtkpod. It took a little while, but seems to have solved the playback problems.

Now, I need a bigger disk because I filled my 10GB ipod. I don't like disposable electronics, so I am steeling myself up to order a new 1.8 inch disk online and install it myself. At least, if I break it I can justify that I need a new ipod. :o

ive got an ipod 20gb. Used to be a dj so its nearly full. I brought a device that plugs directly into the top it sends a radio frequency (any you chose) to the nearest radio (within 30 meters) and plays your music through the radio channel selcted. Great for when your in your car, tune your radio into the set station on your ipod and away you go. no leads required. About 25 pound over the internet.

I brought a device that plugs directly into the top it sends a radio frequency (any you chose) to the nearest radio (within 30 meters) and plays your music through the radio channel selcted. Great for when your in your car, tune your radio into the set station on your ipod and away you go. no leads required. About 25 pound over the internet.

We've got one of those (iTrip) but the problem we run into when driving cross country is that there are so many "community" radio stations along the way the we constantly run in to interference.

Have you settled on some frequency that is little used?

I'm ready to junk the iTrip and buy a cassette adapter instead.

We've got one of those (iTrip) but the problem we run into when driving cross country is that there are so many "community" radio stations along the way the we constantly run in to interference.

Have you settled on some frequency that is little used?

I'm ready to junk the iTrip and buy a cassette adapter instead.

The manual says the frequency should be 87.9 FM.

It does work but when driving it was impossible to listen to the iPod. When stationary or at home, it works well.

I have had the "wired cassette" since CD player days, works fine with the iPod.

only because the OP asked about price, I'm selling a new in box second generation ipod mini silver 6gb for 11,000 baht.

the second generation only recently came out in the states and has longer battery life and improved performance over past ipod mini's.

My sister got an ipod mini. I had to to do the initial setup for her. I really didn't like iTunes... the interface wasn't intuitive, at least not for me. On the other hand, I do like iPhoto. Really, people are individuals, so not everyone will like the same thing... otherwise Baskin Robbins wouldnd't have 31 flavors, right?

Tried buying the radio transmitter... doesn't work that great, if at all. You practically have to hold it next to the antenna to get halfway decent reception, and even then you get interference quite often. This is with the model that allows you to choose the frequency. If it only works while stationary, it certainly defeats most of the purpose of buying one for your car.

I'm interested in knowing why people don't like iTunes. I've used it for several years and find it both easy and handy. I've ripped my entire CD collection into it (not that many, I admit) so never play a CD anymore. I love the way iTunes lets you create dynamic playlists that are updated in real time.

So, for those with an opinion: What is it that you don't like about iTunes?

Unless I have missed something Itunes only lets you have the Party Shuffle. It cant do like Real Player and organise a random 1 hr, 2 hr playlist and then add in additional parameters like Rock only or no rock etc or random 1 artist only.

If I am wrong please tell me!! that is my biggest bug bear.

Not found a perfect media player yet, they all fall down in one area or another.

Media Player - its Microsoft. and it doesnt recognise my make of mp3 player

Real PLayer - looks a bit clunky, the latest version is a backward step design wise

Itunes - as above. Also the party shuffle continually picks songs that have been played before. ( I have about 10Gb of music and have only loaded it on in the last couple of months. but out of odds of maybe 5000 to 1 it finds favourites and brings them up intot he playlist again and again - even the 2 star ones )

Unless I have missed something Itunes only lets you have the Party Shuffle.  It cant do like Real Player and organise a random 1 hr, 2 hr playlist and then add in additional parameters like Rock only or no rock etc or random 1 artist only.

The Mac version has something called "Smart Playlists". These are pretty flexible. You can have iTunes create a play list based on various selection criteria.

Here's Apple's explanation:

Smart Playlists

Here's a web site devoted to smart playlists:

http://www.smartplaylists.com/