Arriving In Udon In Couple Of Days

smiling mantis

I booked a room for a couple of nights via Agoda, but I'm worried what with Christmas coming up and everybody saying that it's really busy this time of year.

Is a couple of days long enough to find a decent apartment for a few months? Or should I try to book through Jan. 1st now, take the hit to the wallet, but relax about being lost in the crush of people who'll be visiting?

Apartment doesn't have to be fancy, but aircon is a must, it shouldn't be too noisy, and close to food would be nice too.

definitely Udon will NOT be fully booked over the new year. it is not a major tourist destination for Farang, and it is not know to be a very desired destination for domestic travelers.

step one: check udonmap.com , they have plenty of information about short-term and long-term accomodation, and a busy forum, where you will find reviews of many places. there is another Expat-Forum in Udon which is udontalk.com and very friendly folks running the Forum.

then, when you arrive, try to get the printed version of said "udonmap", as quickly as possible. it's being published quarterly and is officially called " The Udon Thani Map".

the same people publish a almost 70-page "Udon Thani Guide", published quarterly as well. it is FULL with advertisements of hotels and long-stay-apartments and lotsa Information.

grab the latest issues from a Farang-owned Pub, Resto or guesthouse, or drop by their office in downtown UDON.

you should be fine then {~_~}

oh, I forgot to mention, if you go to the udonmap-website, you can even download the latest issues as a pdf-file, so you can make yourself familiar before you actually arrive.

Edited by siam2007

Actually it was the udonmap site that talked about how busy it is there during December, January and April, so that's one of the reasons I got concerned (there was some article about taking a train to Udon that warned of the same thing).

But you're right, the magazine is a tremendous help. Somehow I missed that the first time around.

Thanks for the good info.

edit: Holy crap! The website says it's 18 degrees C in Udon?!? That has to be a mistake, right?

Edited by smiling mantis

Actually it was the udonmap site that talked about how busy it is there during December, January and April, so that's one of the reasons I got concerned (there was some article about taking a train to Udon that warned of the same thing).

But you're right, the magazine is a tremendous help. Somehow I missed that the first time around.

Thanks for the good info.

edit: Holy crap! The website says it's 18 degrees C in Udon?!? That has to be a mistake, right?

at night ???

so hot ???? HUUUUUH ?

3 years ago or so, it was below 10 degrees at night at 3 consecutive nights. I never thought I would ever have to buy a long-sleeve shirt in Thailand..... but I just had to......

BTW, the Centara Hotel still has rooms over the new-years-eve-period, if that helps....

Ya definitely don't need agoda for udon.The closest places for where the action is,is Top Mansion ,give them A call A week before you come.Another place is City lodge.Go to udonmap,ya can find whatever ya want about udon.I'm pregedous ,I think it's A nice little town.I guess it's really not so little.

Ya definitely don't need agoda for udon.The closest places for where the action is,is Top Mansion ,give them A call A week before you come.Another place is City lodge.Go to udonmap,ya can find whatever ya want about udon.I'm pregedous ,I think it's A nice little town.I guess it's really not so little.