Translation Of My Nick Name

LT3

Hello!! im looking for how my nick name is written in thai script! I've asked my girlfriend and she has given me three versions but I want to know which is the most accurate!

My nick name is LEFTY. (When giving a translation please make the script large as I cant read Thai and would like to print it out) Many thanks for your help. :)

เลฟตี้

Which would probably get pronounced as "Lep-dtii" by a Thai speaker.

"Lefty" doesn't have any silent letters, so there's absolutely no reason to include above any of the letters.

Edited by LazyYogi

ohh well ok i just spell it as a Thai would spell.and obviously i am Thai, but again specific name like ppl name can spell many ways

no right no wrong ...depends on the skill of reader too i would explain u more why i spelled like that (with "ฟ" sound, the" ์" i use and not changing to "บ" sound) but i couldnt do it in words.

Edited by little_muppet

OK that brillient guys! thanks a lot! i was asking because im thinking of getting a tattoo and i wanted something that was pretty but didnt say 'dumb farang has face of chicken' or something else like that ha ha ha! phonetic spelling is great for my purposes so thanks a lot these are brillient!! :D

Thais can't say 'f' on the end of a word so Lef-ty is not do-able

Lep-Tee is the closest you can get

เลฟที or เลฟ์ที

I really wouldn't have an unpronounceable nickname as a tattoo

Why not have Left in Thai as your Thai nickname?

ด้านซ้าย (dan-sai)

I think that looks cool!

Edited by sarahsbloke

Hi, just want to add my two satang to all this. I'd also like to note that these are transcriptions (renderings of a word's sound in another script), not translations (renderings of meaning in another language) as the title says. Sorry to be a nazi about this stuff, but let's get some correct information out here, folks! (As always, I welcome any corrections to my suggestions.)

เลฟ์ที

เฬฟ์ที

The first choice here isn't too bad, but it has a couple problems. First is the character -์ above --this will make this character silent, so it reads "Lay-tee". Second is that most people pronounce the T in "Lefty" without a puff of air, but by using the letter it will be read with a small, explosive exhalation of air. This could be avoided by using instead. Finally, when most English words that end with an "ee" sound are written in Thai, the final syllable has a falling tone. (Some examples are happy, pretty, Pepsi, sexy and taxi.) To get the falling tone, the letter should have -้ above it.

The second choice uses the extremely rare letter , which is only used in a handful of common words and a smattering of obscure ones. There are no words in Thai which start with this letter, so it looks quite odd--there's really no reason to use this instead of .

เลฟส์ตี้ :jap:

Most people should read this as something approaching "Lefty". However, for some reason it has (s) in the middle with a -์ over it (making it silent)--some people, especially those with some knowledge of English sounds, will assume the "s" should be pronounced (since it's obviously a foreign word), and they'll try to say "Lefsty".

เลฟตี้

Which would probably get pronounced as "Lep-dtii" by a Thai speaker.

"Lefty" doesn't have any silent letters, so there's absolutely no reason to include above any of the letters.

This is as good as you're going to get. Go with this one.

Thais can't say 'f' on the end of a word so Lef-ty is not do-able

Lep-Tee is the closest you can get

เลฟที or เลฟ์ที

I really wouldn't have an unpronounceable nickname as a tattoo

Why not have Left in Thai as your Thai nickname?

ด้านซ้าย (dan-sai)

I think that looks cool!

See above regarding use of here. As for ด้านซ้าย, while it may look cool, it means "left side". Why would you want that?

There must be a corresponding slang word for "lefty" in Thai. I'll be damned if I can find it, though. Still, I haven't met a language yet that didn't have one.

wife says

ถนัดซ้าย (Tanat-Sai = left handed)

As you say, this simply means "left-handed". It isn't a nickname or slang term for left-handed people.

ambidextrous = ตีสองหน้า ( Tee-song-nah )

Sorry to come out all contrary again... but ตีสองหน้า dtee sawng nah actually means "hypocritical" or "double-dealing".

The Thai equivalent of "ambidextrous" is ถนัดสองมือ ta-nat sawng meu.

ok sorry, as u know 1 english word can have many thai meaning.. and i didnt know which one the op wants. i just answered the first one that came in my mind. ...or i shouldnt be Thai ... wish i could reborn again... this forum is too difficult for a thai like me :jap:

ok sorry, as u know 1 english word can have many thai meaning.. and i didnt know which one the op wants. i just answered the first one that came in my mind. ...or i shouldnt be Thai ... wish i could reborn again... this forum is too difficult for a thai like me :jap:

You're right that most words have more than one meaning... but "ambidextrous" isn't one of them. Please don't be discouraged, though--this board needs all the native Thai speakers it can get! If you're not sure about something, look it up in the dictionary first, or ask here... สู้ ๆ นะครับ smile.gif

As other more illustrious posters than I have mentioned; NO thai syllable can end with a "F" sound. In fact, I gave a coupla dictionaries a quick perusal and couldn't find a single 'real' thai word (one that isn't a foreign loan word) which ends with either of the thai "F" letters (ฟ, ฝ). If someone does know some, I'd like to hear about it.

Given that fact, you're gonna be hard pressed to have a thai make heads or tails out of what ever you go with in tryin' to represent the actual sound of your 'nickname' in thai.

I think you've got more than enough examples, especially for a tattoo (because once you go back to where ever you come from, no one will be able to read thai script anyway). You might as well tattoo "I Am A Retard" in thai..

It is my observation of the oh-so many thai script tattoos I've seen inked onto foreigners; very few, if any, carry a real meaning to your 'run-of-the-mill' thais.

In fact, most thais wonder why foreigners get tattoos with their name or other meaningless mumbo-jumbo written in thai script in the first place. I don't know a single thai person (except 4 whores who use ting-grish) who have their name tattooed on them. So it's not common at all except amongst foreign wanna-b-thais.

The foreigners who tattoo their name (or nickname) on their arm is useful only if your arm is severed and someone (who knows your name already and can read thai) wants to return your severed limb to you. Other than that, it's about as worthless as tits on a bull, but it looks cool!! Huh?

You wanna get something 'thai' inked on you, go to a temple and get one of the Khmer script buddhist tattoos on your shoulder, like SO many thais do. They're cheap as chips, thais respect them, (as it's their dealy), even if the script is cambodian. They also play far better than 'cutesy' engrish phrases written in thai.

That's my take on things, your mileage will in all likelihood vary, and I by no means have I meant to "piss on your parade". Good Luck. :P .

Edited by tod-daniels

The golfer Phil Mickelson has the nickname 'Lefty'. It's transcribed in Thai as

เลฟตี้

Let's also not forget that the English sounding final consonant 'f/v' has become commonly rendered by ฟ in the increasingly ubiquitous signs advertising ทรูมูฟ

Edited by SoftWater

• 2 weeks later...