Foreign Tourist Arrivals In Thailand Hit 15.7-15.8 Million This Year

webfact

TAT: Foreign tourist arrivals this year pass 15 million

BANGKOK: -- Tourist arrivals in Thailand hit 15.7-15.8 million this year despite internal political and flood disaster situations, according to Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) Governor Surapol Svetasreni.

The governor said there were 14.03 million tourists from January through November, and that about 1.68 million travellers are expected to enter Thailand this month, that would allow Thailand to end 2010 with roughly 15.7-15.8 million international visitor arrivals, with tourism revenue projected at Bt580 – 600 billion (US$19.29 billion– 9.95 billion).

The main reasons why Thailand is still on travellers' destination lists is their impression of Thai hospitality and services along with the country's landscapes and natural resources in different regions.

There were not many tourists in the first and second quarters, according to Mr Surapol, owing to internal political problems which lasted about 70 days. However, Thailand's tourism business returned to life in the third and fourth quarters.

Chinese travellers have maintained their position as the highest tourist figure entering the country. As a result, the TAT governor said his organisation will stimulate more mid-scale and high-end Chinese tourists to visit Thailand, followed by Scandinavian tourists to stay in Thailand longer due to their high purchasing power.

The figure of Thai tourists this year stands at about 91 million with Bt432 billion in circulation.

Around 15.5 million tourists are expected next year in the country with about Bt600 billion to be circulated. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2010-12-18

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting all the trouble we have had this year and we get 15.7 million tourists.

Forecast for next year 15.5 million.

Wonder where the 200,000 tourists they are predicting we will lose are going.

Wonder if they know something we don't know.:cheesy:

I really don't know about numbers but here in Chiang Mai the Night Bazaar is the busiest I have seen it in a long time. (Three years) B)

The main reasons why Thailand is still on travellers' destination lists is their impression of Thai hospitality and services along with the country's landscapes and natural resources in different regions.

Surely, they can do better than that?

I believe that the principal reason why tourists are still coming is that the large multinationals and some of the major Thai hotel investors have put together some attractive packages. This means reducing some of the tour package costs. I don't know if anyone subscribes to the Nok Air emails, but just this week, Nok was offering some attractive package deals for Chiang Mai and Phuket. Strategic marketing and business analysis.

Hospitality? Sorry, but the Thai resorts are not any better than other resorts. You get what you pay for. It's no better and no worse than elsewhere.

Services? Is that a polite term for entertainment zone companions?

Country's landscapes? Please. Deforestation, pollution & overdevelopment have made some of Thailand's gems no different than other tourist destinaions.

Natural resources? Ummm yea, ok.

Give credit where credit is due. Many of the tourist industry players scrambled to keep people coming and they sharpened their pencils, charmed some of the tour vendors and worked hard to get those numbers.

The TAT and the hotel/guest house spokesman should get together as the numbers put out by the two groups have a 3 million+ difference. Doubt that either groups news releases or projected numbers sway potential tourists in their decision. Tourism is kind of like the weather, man, with all his theories, can do little to change that which influences the final result.

<snip>

15.7-15.8 million international visitor arrivals, with tourism revenue projected at Bt580 – 600 billion (US$19.29 billion– 9.95 billion).

<snip>

The figure of Thai tourists this year stands at about 91 million with Bt432 billion in circulation.

<snip>

Foreigners: 37,500 baht each.

Thais: 4,750 baht each.

No wonder "we" are so popular.

And what of this projection from just earlier in December, saying potentially under 14 million for the year....

http://www.thaivisa....ourist+arrivals

BKK does seem busy now... But I think TAT is blowing smoke to suggest that they've suddenly made up for all the BS that occurred earlier in the year and the big black eye that tourism and the entire country took over it.

And then there was this early November item with the Thai Hotels Assn. president saying under 14 million for the year...

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/414906-hoteliers-urge-govt-to-speed-up-boosting-thai-tourism-industry/page__p__4009675__hl__%22tourism+authority%22__fromsearch__1#entry4009675

Edited by jfchandler

Interesting all the trouble we have had this year and we get 15.7 million tourists.

Forecast for next year 15.5 million.

Wonder where the 200,000 tourists they are predicting we will lose are going.

Wonder if they know something we don't know.:cheesy:

I really don't know about numbers but here in Chiang Mai the Night Bazaar is the busiest I have seen it in a long time. (Three years) B)

I would guess,...unless your an expert on Thai tourism and the economy, working for the Thai government, and with access to all the data they have....they probably know quite a lot we don't know.

I believe that the principal reason why tourists are still coming is that the large multinationals and some of the major Thai hotel investors have put together some attractive packages. This means reducing some of the tour package costs. I don't know if anyone subscribes to the Nok Air emails, but just this week, Nok was offering some attractive package deals for Chiang Mai and Phuket. Strategic marketing and business analysis.

Hospitality? Sorry, but the Thai resorts are not any better than other resorts. You get what you pay for. It's no better and no worse than elsewhere.

Country's landscapes? Please. Deforestation, pollution & overdevelopment have made some of Thailand's gems no different than other tourist destinaions.

Give credit where credit is due. Many of the tourist industry players scrambled to keep people coming and they sharpened their pencils, charmed some of the tour vendors and worked hard to get those numbers.

Yes, I was wondering about 'landscapes' too. I mean, the country is (mainly) as flat as the Canadian prairies or the Russian steppes. A few mountains in the north, but no Rockies or Alps or even Snowdon. Doi Inthanon is nice, but hardly breathtaking (well, the air is a bit thin there, but that 's all)

And rail services, clickety-clack, in the days of Alec Guinness and the Bridge over the River Kwai

I assume you'll both be leaving soon, considering how terrible it is here. Good luck and God speed

Yes, I was wondering about 'landscapes' too. I mean, the country is (mainly) as flat as the Canadian prairies or the Russian steppes. A few mountains in the north, but no Rockies or Alps or even Snowdon. Doi Inthanon is nice, but hardly breathtaking (well, the air is a bit thin there, but that 's all)

And rail services, clickety-clack, in the days of Alec Guinness and the Bridge over the River Kwai

Numbers are ridiculous... I'm in the travel industry and from April to November everywhere was deserted.

All hotels were running at 20-30% of occupancy, they were bagging me for customers. Every operator in the tourism business was complaining as the lowest low season ever.

Tourism from Europe completely stopped for 6 months, all travel agencies stopped selling Thaioand because the insurance policies didn't cover the 'civil war' clause, in force due the State of Emergency in many Thai cities. Overseas travellers are still asking me if the situation is safe or if it is still dangerous travelling to Thailand now.

Does it mean that Thailand had 10 millions travellers in the first 3 months of 2010 and 5 millions during november-december?

Come on, that's all marketing, in November airlines set up gret deals, you could fly from Europe for 350-400 euro, return tickets.

Thailand is a wonderful country, and it could really do great things in the tourism industry.

I don't agree on what other said about natural resourses, there are lot of beautiful natural and hystorical places, from Khao Yai to Chiang mai and Chiang Rai, Khao Sok and Phang Nga province, and the marine resources of course, Similan, Surin, Tarutao.

80% of tourists want comforts (hot water, sewage system, clean water, no insects, no rubbish, easy access...)

Nature is not comfortable itself, so ity must be adapted for the tourism industry.

The problem is that political management doesn't help to do things properly in respect with the nature.

They have the money to do that, every tourist destination should have a proper sewage system (well, all Thailand should) but if you look at places like Patong in Phuket, it stinks like hell! And they have lot of sun, why don't they build solar system resorts and hotel , instead to have all those dangerous hanging electricity cables along streets?

There is still a lot to improve here, if tey could fight corruption into political local institutions...

Whinge Whinge Whinge. Favourite topic for a few on Thai visa.

Lets look at what Thailand has compared to say UK.

5.2 Billion Barrels of Oil reserves, against 3.2 for UK

Manufacturing: Mercedes engines built here, Nissan built here, Toyota built here, Triumph built here. Big plastics producer, light aircraft produced here.... could go on..... The UK, well they make a good curry.

Tourism: In light of a massive recession that has hit the West 15mil is up there with the best.

Thailand reminds me of Singapore 30 years ago. If Thailand grasp that English as a 2nd language is a plus for Thailand who knows how far this country could go?

Right that's the kiss of death given, time to sell up and move on LOL

Cheers

Dr Plumb

I don't believe them, like I don't believe any numbers they give out. They are probably counting all farangs doing visa runs, after all, they are foreign and entering the country, and they are probably counting all tourists that are just transiting thru Bangkok going to other cities, neither of these spending any money. Probably could shave 1-2 million off their numbers.