Marrying In The Uk

Having read about Vulture's trials and tribulations with the visa for his wife - congratulations by the way - I have this by way of a follow up question.

I'm legally married to a Thai national. If, in the future, we want to go back to the UK for a holiday - not settlement - and we're intending to get married whilst back there, do we have to tell The Embassy about our intentions?

That also begs the question as to whether our legal marriage in Thailand is recognised in the UK? I didn't think it was and the registration at The Embassy seems to serve no other purpose than to give them money and a piece of paper is lodged at the relevent office in the UK.

Can anyone advise, please?

You are married. Here, there and everywhere.

Yes your marriage is indeed recognized in the UK.

The registration at the Embassy in not required but it may eliminate some paperwork later as the marriage certificate could be certified in the UK when required.

Having read about Vulture's trials and tribulations with the visa for his wife - congratulations by the way - I have this by way of a follow up question.

I'm legally married to a Thai national. If, in the future, we want to go back to the UK for a holiday - not settlement - and we're intending to get married whilst back there, do we have to tell The Embassy about our intentions?

That also begs the question as to whether our legal marriage in Thailand is recognised in the UK? I didn't think it was and the registration at The Embassy seems to serve no other purpose than to give them money and a piece of paper is lodged at the relevent office in the UK.

Can anyone advise, please?

Legally married ???? Does that mean a Buddhist "marriage" and/or correctly registered at an Amphur, or a Buddhist "Blessing"

A marriage registered at an Amphur with both of you having a marriage certificate (stamped 3 times (your wife's, yours and across both)) is the only one recognised throughout the world.We did not register our marriage at the embassy as we knew we were coming to England and there was no point. My wife has also changed her name to mine (as in England) but also retained her own family name).

If, in the future, we want to go back to the UK for a holiday - not settlement - and we're intending to get married whilst back there, do we have to tell The Embassy about our intentions?

I am in agreement with the above posters. If you are legally married in Thailand, I.E. Marriage registered at Amphur, then you are legally married for UK purposes.

If you were indending a holiday in the UK., then you would apply for a visit visa.

I think that you would be allowed to register your marriage in the UK (on a visit visa), but there is no benefit whatsoever in doing so.

So there is nothing to tell the Embassy, just apply for your visit visa.

good luck

Monkeypants

Indeed, under the Foreign Marriages Act any marriage legally valid in the country where it took place is also legally valid in the UK. You cannot marry in the UK again as you are already married. (Could always divorce each other first and then re-marry :o ) You may, of course, arrange a church blessing or similar.

You may record the marriage at the embassy (for a fee) but all this does is place a record of the marriage in the Public Records Office in London. Possibly useful if you live in the UK, lose your marriage certificate and want to get a replacement without having to go to Thailand, but otherwise a complete waste of time and money. A Thai marriage certificate with certified English (or Welsh or Scottish Gaelic) translation will be accepted on any occasion in the UK where a marriage certificate is required.

Church marrages whether Buddist,Islamic,Papes or Prods,7th day avengers,hells angels or Southern john the baptist aint legal as such...only a bit of ceremonial club rituals and hopefully fun.(and of course nothing wrong with that)

Bang your names in the Book however (sometimes known as the "civil ceremony")in whatever country ..or at least most of them and its internationally retro.as LEGAL. :o

Just to follow on from OP's original question, I'm presuming that the laws are the same if you get married in Thailand as to the UK, then break up and get divorced. Is it the same as a UK marrige where everything split between the two parties?

Rj

If you get a pre nup attached and registered at Thai registry office this will safeguard your assets acquired BEFORE marriage in Thailand (indeed even without a pre nup this is the case a pre nup is additional protection and clarification of the facts). Only NEW assets are thereafter split 50/50. A sensible Thai law you may be comforted by but beware..........if you retain your domicile as the UK and not Thailand (as most expats do) you are at risk of a determind and smart Thai ex aided by a UK lawyer using the UK as the legal base to divorce you and bypass Thai law courts. The pre-nup might be thrown out in the UK and u may indeed be taken to the cleaners if she succeeds. The UK courts would have to some decent history of UK visits and connections for the divorce application to be approved. The smart move is to officially change your domicile and sever all connections with your UK homeland (other than occasional family visits). No UK homes, businesses, bank accounts, investments, burial plots etc. Drastic but an effective barrier - unless the 50/50 split is acceptable to you in which case no worries.

Just to follow on from OP's original question, I'm presuming that the laws are the same if you get married in Thailand as to the UK, then break up and get divorced. Is it the same as a UK marrige where everything split between the two parties?

Rj

No UK homes, businesses, bank accounts, investments, burial plots etc. Drastic but an effective barrier - unless the 50/50 split is acceptable to you in which case no worries. :o

Just hope you dont have that day in court when the old "beak" utters those immortal words "I award your wife....£..........."

I sat there like an idiot thinking....thats very good of him...while my brief whispered ......dont think you understand .old chap ....You gotta pay :D:D:D

Gotta laugh about it now... :D:D