Pheu Thai 'To Expose' Govt Corruption

webfact

Pheu Thai 'to expose' govt corruption

By THE NATION ON SUNDAY

The government has come under attack by the Opposition Pheu Thai Party, which plans to release thousands of pocket books accusing the government of corruption in 120 projects.

Pheu Thai Bangkok MP Anudit Nakhontap, who has been tasked with checking corruption, said his team had completed their work and would initially distribute 10,000 copies of the books entitled "Privileged corruption - how the Abhisit government is corrupt but not at fault" next week.

During a press conference Anudit put up a big sign that said "A menu of 120 special dishes the Abhisit government has been cooking up, its corruption.''

He said the party would give details about one or two corrupt projects each week before launching a no-confidence debate against the government.

Among the projects that he claimed involved corruption were one in which solar energy was used to make drinking water, garbage incinerators, ready-to-use fertiliser, and a project to provide NGV buses. Others included Army purchases of armoured vehicles from Ukraine and an airship.

Pheu Thai Party deputy speaker Jirayu Huangsap criticised the government's populist Pracha Wiwat (Improvement for the People) policy, saying it was an election campaign policy that wasted taxpayers' money.

"The government needs huge funds to finance this policy and it may have to seek loans that create a financial burden on the government, so this policy, in fact, should be called 'Disaster for the People','' he said.

Meanwhile, Surachart Bamrungsuk, a lecturer at Chulalongkorn University's Faculty of Political Sciences, also criticised the Pracha Wiwat policy, saying it would not help solve economic and social problems, but put the country deeper in debt.

Democrat spokesman Dr Buranaj Smutharaks defended the policy, saying the party believed the it would benefit society as it was based on public feedback that stemmed from the 'Six days and 63 million ideas' project.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-12-19

Of course PTP are squeaky clean and its mentor Thaksin can do no wrong after stealing billions from Thailand and his own red shirt supporters who are too thick to understand. So let's go muck raking and publish a book. To do the same for the Thai Rak party or even this present PTP and the present leadership of reds, you would need to create a fully blown library on corrupt practices to house the number of books they would fill. rolleyes.gif

Edited by asiawatcher

Does PTP think that this is going to shock Thai people or tell people something they don't already know. Thai people ain't daft, they know corruption is part of politics and daily life. As for PTP issuing the booklet, well it's a classical example of the pot calling the kettle black. I admire them for trying to expose it, but maybe they should expose the truths behind their own past sins first before they try to claim the moral high ground.

Does PTP think that this is going to shock Thai people or tell people something they don't already know. Thai people ain't daft, they know corruption is part of politics and daily life. As for PTP issuing the booklet, well it's a classical example of the pot calling the kettle black. I admire them for trying to expose it, but maybe they should expose the truths behind their own past sins first before they try to claim the moral high ground.

"Thai people ain't daft, they know corruption is part of politics and daily life." That's why many will say they know Thaksin is corrupt, but they voted for him anyway because they're all corrupt. What relevance do their past sins (which are already in the public sphere) have to do with corruption under the current government, which is surely the issue at hand? They're supposed to be holding the current government to account, so this booklet is at least an attempt to do that. Transparency International statistics show that Thailand is more corrupt than it was under Thaksin and a recent ABAC poll shows 90.1% believe there's been an increase in corruption under the current government. Just because Abhisit isn't personally corrupt doesn't mean his administration as a whole is less corrupt than Thaksin's. Thaksin's cabinet didn't entirely consist of corrupt gangsters y'know, there were many as clean as Abhisit, whilst the current government contains some of the most notable offenders of recent times, including Suthep & all the friends of Newin people. But in the end people should stop continually comparing them, because two wrongs don't make a right.

"Thai people ain't daft, they know corruption is part of politics and daily life." That's why many will say they know Thaksin is corrupt, but they voted for him anyway because they're all corrupt. What relevance do their past sins (which are already in the public sphere) have to do with corruption under the current government, which is surely the issue at hand? They're supposed to be holding the current government to account, so this booklet is at least an attempt to do that. Transparency International statistics show that Thailand is more corrupt than it was under Thaksin and a recent ABAC poll shows 90.1% believe there's been an increase in corruption under the current government. Just because Abhisit isn't personally corrupt doesn't mean his administration as a whole is less corrupt than Thaksin's. Thaksin's cabinet didn't entirely consist of corrupt gangsters y'know, there were many as clean as Abhisit, whilst the current government contains some of the most notable offenders of recent times, including Suthep & all the friends of Newin people. But in the end people should stop continually comparing them, because two wrongs don't make a right.

Are the PTP suggesting that they won't be corrupt if they get into government?

I'm 110% for rooting out corruption, but I think it's funny that this is coming from the PTP.

I'm 110% for rooting out corruption, but I think it's funny that this is coming from the PTP.

I think your moniker says it all. Many years ago I remember an ex health minister sent to jail for corruption but since then I do not recall seeing any other high profile people going to jail.

PTP takes some of its own documents, crosses out the PTP in the corruption line, and writes in DEMOCRAT - then EXPOSES them lol. :whistling:

PTP---short for --- permanently telling porky-pies :D :D :D .. this is a howler----what pratts---god help us all if this mafia mob returned to government. They have so short memories--we speak--theyre as thick as pig muck :bah: :bah: :bah:

No doubt they will be corrupt, because which government isn't? But I'm pretty sure that the Dems or PTP would be less corrupt than either one of them in coalition with CT & BJT. Obviously I think the Dems would be less corrupt because there's less factions to keep happy than there are in PTP and Abhisit is willing to lead from the front against corruption. Right now he doesn't want to upset BJT too much as it's vital to keep the coalition together, but I'm sure he'd be more willing to tackle it within his own party.

Good to see PTP doing something positive, and fulfilling their proper role as an Opposition, rather than cheering the rioting terrorists. The more corruption is likely to be exposed, to the cleansing glare of publicity, the less it will be seen as totally-acceptable & normal.

Of course PTP may well regret this action, as/when they're part of a coalition-government again, but so what ? B)

I think your moniker says it all. Many years ago I remember an ex health minister sent to jail for corruption but since then I do not recall seeing any other high profile people going to jail.

That's because they all do a runner from the country and refuse to return when convicted.

I agree that both sides of the political divide are equally corrupt. My point is that only when one side renounces and admits it's own corruptness and publicly punishes and denounces those within their party, or affiliated to the party, through the legal system does it have any moral grounding to accuse other political parties of being corrupt and of not serving the national interest.

Otherwise the voting public is choosing between sh* t and cr*p .

If PTP is serious about tacking corruption it needs to get its own house in order - as outlined above - whilst at the same time producing little booklets that try to keep the government in check, like any good opposition should.

I see a different statistic of Transparency International.

http://www.transparency.org/policy_research/surveys_indices/gcb/2010/results

The last 3 years corruption decreased between 7 to 10 %.

I see a different statistic of Transparency International.

http://www.transpare...cb/2010/results

The last 3 years corruption decreased between 7 to 10 %.

Interesting. So some think it's getting slightly better then? That's what I thought but didn't want to write in my original post, because I didn't recall the numbers exactly. I was actually going on these TI statistics: http://asiancorrespondent.com/bangkok-pundit-blog/now-thaksin-gone-is-thailand-becoming-less-corrupt-part-ii - which show that there's been a slight improvement in the last year, but it's still perceived to be slightly more corrupt than it was under Thaksin. But this doesn't just assess government corruption, it's possible that Thaksin cut corruption in other areas whilst he personally and his government was more corrupt (than the current govt at least, not sure about the junta). I think there's some truth to that.

The highest corruption index was 2002 (who was PM at this time?) and 2007 (the other side of the coin)

Yeah, that was before he'd launched his big crackdown on corruption and "dark influence", though, wasn't it? But looks like things have improved since the 90s, whichever way you look at it.

The above is very true but sad to say most members in this forum suffer from "selective blindness" and can see only one side of the coin.. :unsure:

Certainly government corruption should be exposed wherever one finds it, but somehow I cannot help but thinking that this is yet another case of the kettle calling the pot black. Pheua Thai seems to be spending their entire time as opposition party with hunting down every small irregularity within the government party ranks while blissfully overlooking that their own phalanx is through and through rotting with corruption/nepotism/cronyism.

What is Corruption?

1. Corruption by all kind of money. Tax officers can follow it.

2. Hidden corruption by nepotism. Tax officers can't follow.

to 1: 10% is normal lubricant to give the necessary power that the engine works, 90% is gasoline to move the car. Check it out for your car. (example from a high ranked German Special Investigation tax officer)

20% is normal corruption in capitalistic organized societies. Normal tax officers persecute it.

over 20% is criminal corruption with serious perils for local and/or national economics. Special Investigation is needed by Officers with more rights than police. (in Germany)

to 2: You can be stupid or normally qualified, with the background of a rich and important family you can become number 1 of an office (Specially education, health and police). Number 2 has to do the job.

Not impeach Thailand, other countries have the same problem.

Actually .... this is one of the few things that PTP is doing right. It is the job of the opposition to bring the light of truth into the public arena. The question becomes is that what they are doing?

The Dems are now getting some recognition in the hinterland for doing things to help rural Thailand, and that means it may take an even deeper bite out of the few folks that actually vote their conscience instead of sticking with the regional political machines. PTP has to do something to counter that (and it is their duty to do so.) The second question is .... how many of their supporters (or past supporters) will this shine a light on?

Corruption is endemic in many (all?) levels of Thai society and the only way to change that is to expose it. If PTP can do this in an honest way then my hat is off to them.

Actually .... this is one of the few things that PTP is doing right. It is the job of the opposition to bring the light of truth into the public arena. The question becomes is that what they are doing?

The Dems are now getting some recognition in the hinterland for doing things to help rural Thailand, and that means it may take an even deeper bite out of the few folks that actually vote their conscience instead of sticking with the regional political machines. PTP has to do something to counter that (and it is their duty to do so.) The second question is .... how many of their supporters (or past supporters) will this shine a light on?

Corruption is endemic in many (all?) levels of Thai society and the only way to change that is to expose it. If PTP can do this in an honest way then my hat is off to them.

Agreed.

Hopefully Jatuporn, with his iffy record on exposing/proving extravagant-claims, was not involved in putting together this new dossier from the PTP.

That si the job of an opposition. Hopefully they will do it well with clear cut evidence. The coutnry has seen enough of lies and inuendo. Hopefully they will also find someone other than Jatuporn to present the evidence, so it doesnt start as tainted.

Corruption is any everyday affair. Is there anybody here that hasn't bolstered an expense claim? When I started to become more mobile in attending to company business I was taken aside by my manger and asked why it was that claimed so little. I said that I was truthfully claiming for monies that I had spent and wished to reimbursed for. I was told to be 'more creative' as the meagre amounts I was requesting highlighted just how inflated his, and his manager's claims were. This created an anomaly which a sharp eyed accountant might pick up with unfortunate consequences. I was told to think that a few extra pounds was one of the perks of climbing the company ladder.

What should concern the good guys is not so much the level of corruption but what the value is. Any successful fraudster knows that the secret of success is 'a little but often' which makes the irregularity harder to detect. 5% is almost acceptable but a whopping 20% is not and the tumbrils should be wheeled out of the stable.

Later in my career a senior manager was brought to book and suddenly the outgoings on expense claims company wide went down by 15%. Would a few phu yais being brought to book encourager les autres?

Of course PTP are squeaky clean and its mentor Thaksin can do no wrong after stealing billions from Thailand and his own red shirt supporters who are too thick to understand. So let's go muck raking and publish a book. To do the same for the Thai Rak party or even this present PTP and the present leadership of reds, you would need to create a fully blown library on corrupt practices to house the number of books they would fill. rolleyes.gif

Your point is well taken, but someone has to expose corruption before it can be reigned in.

The beauty of it is, if enough people become aware of corruption, then the group that exposed it will be held to a little higher standard.

Baby steps...

That si the job of an opposition. Hopefully they will do it well with clear cut evidence. The coutnry has seen enough of lies and inuendo. Hopefully they will also find someone other than Jatuporn to present the evidence, so it doesnt start as tainted.

Agreed. If they show where PTP has been corrupt as well they may actually gain some votes. Abhisit making people step-aside when accused certainly has made him look better t many people.

Hammered

If clear cut and indisputable evidence is presented then surely it doesn't much matter where it comes from - Jatuporn,Robert Amsterdam, Wikikleaks or Rupert the Bear.

I think it's too easy to write of information because the source is seen to be "tainted" in some way.

After all what's source for the goose is source for the gander.(Sorry, couldn't resist it..Happy Christmas)

They are not trying to claim a moral high ground, they don't have the skills or the track record to, they are just trying to bring down their enemies by any tactic they can think of. The moment a group with this mindset exposes their own failings, they think they have lost their power. Party loses face and all know it, face is more important than honesty in this case. And getting back control of the trough is more important than face, since they seem to they think making up stuff and then pretending it's real, S.O.P. for them, is worth it to reach the end goal. Taking power and the perks that comes with it is seen as gaining more face than could be lost by being caught in their lies yet again.

Round #... wait are there enough numbers left to label this 'X' round with?

Edited by animatic