Living In Thailand 4-6 Months - Options?

Also applying from the US you will be required to get more documentation I.e. police report etc. In laos it is not required and less hassle as far as that goes. Also the medical paper is required applying from the us. I never had to do either in Laos. It's just what the Thai embassy in San francisco told me. You can do it that way and don't need to show a RT ticket if you get the visa in your home country though...soooo. If you go to your police station and ask for this they will give you a funny look of "what is that"...a big explanation then the buck will be passed until you have explained it 20 times what it is for....

You are talking about two different visas, an O-A-visa and a non-O visa. In the US some consulates will only provide an O-A-visa, which requires a police and medical check. But some do isue a non-O, which doesn't require a police and medical check, just like in Laos.

In Laos one would not get an O-A visa, as one has to apply for it in the country of residence.

As said obtain non immigrant O-A visa from home country and if multi entry can provide almost two years of stay before funds are required to be shown in Thailand.

IRA has no extra requirements (other than reporting any interest income) but there is a Form TD F 90-22.1 you have to file with Treasury each year which takes 10 minutes or so. Just lists your account and max amount in it during the year. Not a big thing.

As pointed out the funds only have to be in account for three months a year if using that option and can be used at other times.