Best And Worst Values In Thailand

HC82

Thailand is always said to be a very cheap place to live or travel - in many cases that is true, but for some things it can actually be much more expensive than in the "West". So what do you think are the best and worst value for your money products or services in Thailand?

imo:

*Best value: Red Bull, 10 Baht (80-90% discount).

*Worst value: New Mercedes C Class, 3 Million Baht+ (200-300% more expensive).

*Worst value: New Mercedes C Class, 3 Million Baht+ (200-300% more expensive).

No no no, be careful now, otherwise the forums self-appointed finance wiz-kid will jump in and hand out a "certificate for having no clue".

I reckon you dont emply a biling....triling....multilingual gardener, huh..!?

best values- dentistry, haircuts, tradesmen (plumbers, builders,sparkies, mechanics etc)***

worst- as per what Ian said, anything imported

*** they can turn out to be the worst values if they dont know what the hell theyre doing

How could I forget wine!!

Tesco UK have 55 wines under 3.99 a bottle on their shelves and on their website.

Those same quality of wines start here at 7 quid and for anything less than 7 quid here you might as well drink antifreeze!

Graham's fine tawny port 1311B that's 28.50 sterling. In Thailand

Graham's late bottled vintage port, 8.88 sterling in the UK at Tesco

But what the hell, christmas comes but once a year.

Edited by Loz

bad value,,, paying 5 bht for a piss . :jap:

I think 5 baht for the bathroom is a good value, if there is a cleaning lady stationed inside. Really like how some places they're constantly cleaning the toilets after people use them

three quid for a litre of grapefruit juice. 600% over priced. piss poor value. one hour massage 2 quid. ninety percent saving.

Gazooks!

Where are you getting massage for 2 quid?! Sounds like you're getting bargain basement there!

Best values - Lifestyle for expats in general.

Value for money on local food and fruit, touring the country is cheap. Liberated night-life and women.

Worst values - Imports.

Edited by JimsKnight

I read the OP's question carefully and felt it's quite loaded;

what do you think are the best and worst value for your money products or services in Thailand?

I reckon products are worst value and services offer better value in Thailand. I've lived in Bangkok for four years and I've never seen any product for sale which I couldn't have bought for less back home. Services are often higher quality for less. Edited by aussiebebe

Best Value: hrmm. tough call between cigarettes and redbull here in NZ smokes are $10 - $15 for 20

thats 224 to 335 baht or 4.7 to 7.4 sterling.

but then krating daeng is 10baht in LOS and its about $4.50 for the same stuff here or $4 for carbonated.

Bad Value: definitely wine.

here in NZ we have a glut of fantastic wine, wines that sell here for $6NZD sell elsewhere for $50 usd.

but still i saw crazy prices for NZ wines in thailand. but i guess they gotta go a long way to get there.

Edited by johnnyj

I read the OP's question carefully and felt it's quite loaded;

what do you think are the best and worst value for your money products or services in Thailand?

I reckon products are worst value and services offer better value in Thailand. I've lived in Bangkok for four years and I've never seen any product for sale which I couldn't have bought for less back home. Services are often higher quality for less.

I did not intend to word it as a loaded question - there are plenty of products that are cheap in Thailand. Just go to Tesco and compare prices for basically anything. Clothing is also quite cheap in Thailand.