Manual Egg Beater

CMX

I do not like electrical appliances when I can do the job by hand - more tactile. On the other hand, I am no hand with a whisk.

So I searched the usual suspects - Robinson and Central. Several whisks in sizes, and electrical gadgets, some with whisk attachments. Tried Makro north.

Ideas, please?

Gennisis,

Thanks for the notion, but no human has ever forked an egg into the light-as-air froth that a true omelet must be, aside from its other ingredients. My low-yolk omelets win prizes in Asia, Europe, and N. America (in my mind). I do not even flip them, using v. little oil, but bake the tops instead. Forkers inevitably cook eggs tough. Don't know the difference, sad souls.

just_Elaine,

Thank you for your response. That is not a place I thought to look, but I may beat you to looking. I should have crossed off (because I checked) one Rimping and one Topps as well.

A fork works just fine, come on ! The manual beater does an ok job, but if you understand the technique it's easy. The idea is 1) you're beating the eggs into a homogenous mixture, and 2) you're incorporating good amounts of air adding a delicate, fluffy character to your eggs. So when I beat my eggs, using a fork (!) I always use a large enough bowl for the job ahead - it takes some vigor to do properly, and then I TILT the bowl(like 30-4o degrees)as I whip. This slinging thru the air allows more air to be trapped. Even with your beater, mixing in a 2-D manner can incorporate only so much air.

If a whip does you no good, then it's likely the fork won't either. For those up to it, use a whip and tilt the bowl, and you get the fluffiest eggs known to man.

"it takes some vigor to do properly"

Sure does. And I'm saving mine for what is important.:rolleyes:

You know, this is exactly like most threads. Someone asks a question and most answers question the question while everyone else piles on with ideas why the question is not relevant at all. I have forked many an egg. I have tilted big (copper) bowls. I have briskly whisked.

I want a manual egg beater. That's what I want and that's what I hope, with help, to find.

Which is not to say that those suggesting alternatives are not well meaning and doing their best, given that they've given up on having the best tools at hand in order to always do a premier job. Forgive me if I have difficulty in supposing that their omelets cannot float in the air, exclusive of shallots or scallions etc. You must understand that you are dealing with one whose aunt made "fooey eggs" - she "scrambled" them in the pan into striations of two colors before plunking the result loudly down on the plate, almost breaking them (the plates, I mean - egg was broken beyond repair). Such eggs would have been good as tires, I felt. Fork that!:whistling:

Egg_Beater.jpg

if this is what you looking for

in my view is the BEST tool you need in a kitchen

the rest is just fancy TOYS

any bake supply shop in chiangmai would carry it .

there is a bake supply store which i go offen to get flour for making bread and egg tart .

i got a extra large beater cos sometime i make about 100 - 150 egg for fun :)

Get the steel one is easier to clean

Edited by Ta22

See what I mean?

Ta22. Thanks for the suggestion. Those are wonderful devices. I have used a number of them over the years. Alas, I cannot agree that MY wrists are as limber as yours. With stiff wrists, I can turn an egg beater fast enough to create what I like. With a whisk I cannot.

See, the way I see it, the OP kind of knows better, having ALL the facts in hand that pertain to the OP, what is needed. Sometimes I have been tempted to wonder. But in this case, I believe I can say that I am asking to find a manual egg beater - not a whisk and not a fork. And not something else electric. What I had hoped to find was a manual egg beater. Frail hope, I gather.:(

"it takes some vigor to do properly"

Sure does. And I'm saving mine for what is important.:rolleyes:

You know, this is exactly like most threads. Someone asks a question and most answers question the question while everyone else piles on with ideas why the question is not relevant at all. I have forked many an egg. I have tilted big (copper) bowls. I have briskly whisked.

I want a manual egg beater. That's what I want and that's what I hope, with help, to find.

Which is not to say that those suggesting alternatives are not well meaning and doing their best, given that they've given up on having the best tools at hand in order to always do a premier job. Forgive me if I have difficulty in supposing that their omelets cannot float in the air, exclusive of shallots or scallions etc. You must understand that you are dealing with one whose aunt made "fooey eggs" - she "scrambled" them in the pan into striations of two colors before plunking the result loudly down on the plate, almost breaking them (the plates, I mean - egg was broken beyond repair). Such eggs would have been good as tires, I felt. Fork that!:whistling:

OK...my next suggestion would have been to use 2 forks...but I guess you will still want your manual device. You would appear to be something of a guy who likes his cooking...at least his omelets ....so I am surprised you dont have a food mixer....Ah..forgot...you aint an electric gaget guy....just a weirdo who just loves whisking up eggs.

To understand your prediciment properly I must say I have no idea of what a manual egg beaker looks like....is it the thingy with a handle fixed to a wheel that turns two blades??,,,,if so would have thought that would put some strain on your wrists..........me...always whisk up with a fork after separating yolk from white.....doesnt float to the ceiling,but OK..

"just a weirdo who just loves whisking up eggs."

I am not confident that my knowing exactly what I want and why - for me - should develop in you such a judgment. However, if you run across the device you describe accurately (the movements of which do not require a limber wrist), I'd be grateful to hear where it is offered.

Asking folks to stick to the subject does not strike me as weird, whereas introducing acrimony with regard to such a simple request seems unhelpful.

Edited by CMX

See what I mean?

Ta22. Thanks for the suggestion. Those are wonderful devices. I have used a number of them over the years. Alas, I cannot agree that MY wrists are as limber as yours. With stiff wrists, I can turn an egg beater fast enough to create what I like. With a whisk I cannot.

See, the way I see it, the OP kind of knows better, having ALL the facts in hand that pertain to the OP, what is needed. Sometimes I have been tempted to wonder. But in this case, I believe I can say that I am asking to find a manual egg beater - not a whisk and not a fork. And not something else electric. What I had hoped to find was a manual egg beater. Frail hope, I gather.:(

Looking for a manual egg beater try your gf or wife ?

Last summer I went home and raided my 79 year old mother's kitchen. I grabbed a few things I know she doesn't use anymore and this hand beater was one of them.

Part of the reason I took it was not only is it a handy tool, but it was a staple of my childhood kitchen experiences and it makes me a bit nostalgic - weekend mornings with my dad, he used it for the pancake mix.

When mom agreed to give it to me, she told me she received it as a wedding present, about 58 years ago. I've seen the common hand held electric kind everywhere, not even sure they make these anymore.

post-45611-0-14158400-1292881560_thumb.j

I recall a similar device from childhood. It had a vertical handle, however.

My most recent one (which on a hunch I nearly fetched a year ago) is stainless and smooth operating. But it is true that most of the hundreds offered on e-bay seem to be labeled "vintage." On the other hand, Amazon lists several new types.

Apparently many folks do not accept mechanical advantage in the creation of omelettes.

Pondlife!!!

I don't know them. Where, please, on the Superhighway????

Thank you very much for a specific response!!

Edited by CMX

slowly stir the eggs to homogenous and then put a plastic straw in the blow bubbles to add air (if I knew how to add one of those silly faces I would here)

Agree w/you why can't ppl. just answer the question (and if they don't know, don't answer) I've been looking all over for one too, incl. Yok to no avail. There is a technique to proper use of a whisk which can be a bit difficult and I would not recommend w/o proper training (I'm a professional). If you find one pls. inform as my GF is turning into a great baker with sore wrists.

Thanks for encouragement, junglechef. Will list if I find. You had me worried at first, but the missing fork gave it away.

Apologize for foolish question, Pond Life - I've the location of the superhighway Yok and will give it a try.

"just a weirdo who just loves whisking up eggs."

I am not confident that my knowing exactly what I want and why - for me - should develop in you such a judgment. However, if you run across the device you describe accurately (the movements of which do not require a limber wrist), I'd be grateful to hear where it is offered.

Asking folks to stick to the subject does not strike me as weird, whereas introducing acrimony with regard to such a simple request seems unhelpful.

Sorry that you have taken my comment as acrimonious,it certainly wasnt meant to be...simply a comment on someone with a certain fixation....in which case the word 'weirdo' isnt too unapropiate...certainly not to people who dont share such a fixation....such as little me !!....I still use a fork !!

Anyhow,,,you have had a few helpful tips and here is another one...... a beater/stirrer as used in cocktail bars....used to beat up egg whites.You would however have to overcome your abhorence of anything electrical....well partialy..because these little helpers are battery powered.

gennisis

fixation abhorrence weirdo

Your continued characterization of my person in the complete absence of facts, particularly as you select more extreme terms, is unworthy. Have you not considered (none of your business, but have you at least considered) that OP's wrists don't work without pain? Alternatively, why in the world should I do a task I prefer to do my way - your way? Is not my experience of eggs to be honored too?

Unless you reported a lack of success with your methods and asked for fresh ideas, it would never occur to me to advise you to change your ways, and if I did and you indicated that the solution would not work for you, I certainly would not use the terms above to describe you. For that matter, I'd just keep my peace.

Truth is, you need to be more like me than the other way around.:whistling:

But by all means return to the thread, please, if you have found one of those essential tools of the kitchen, a manual eggbeater for sale in CM.

There are whisks, which the OP doesn't care for, and then there are egg whisks:

post-25601-0-26638100-1292905790_thumb.j

Anyhow, I hope the OP finds the egg beater he's looking for. I never had much luck with them as the turning of the crank makes it hard to hold the gizmo straight. Precession through torque at a guess.

offen we are so deep into what is best we forget what is logical , even with the best Egg beater i would consider first . how many EGGs i want to Beat up .

is it 1 , 2 , 3 or 4 , just for a frying or breakfast , seriously . just use a FORK . or go dril some Big Hole on your Spoon .

just like you DO not need An AXE to KILL a Chicken .

after saying and seeing so many .MAY i ask . the OP

how many EGGs you intent to Beat up

and also

what you thinking to get or cook or Bake ?

cooking is the art of making use what you find .

playing is going about finding what you may not need

As mentioned Yok Intertrade, google them for location. They are opposite Carrefours on the Superhighway.

As for whisks, though the one that in pictured is pretty and useful for caking mixing and maybe egg mixing but in my opinion it is missing 2/3 the "whisks." I think the one shown has six loops, my favorite which probably dates from the '60's has 18 loops. I have not seen a whisk that I would be happy to use to make whipped cream here in CM, not in Yok, Tesco or elsewhere. I can turn 2 pints of whipping cream into whipped cream with an 18 loop whisk in about 4 minutes. A six loop whisk is fine for eggs, but not very good to make whipped cream and definitely not enough to make meringue. I have not seen a ten or twelve loop whisk here in Thailand. Old restaurant grade ones are worth searching for. Often the loops are stainless steel, but the handles are not, and are often rusted. But some time with sandpaper and steel wool, and if you can find someone to re-tin it, afterwards they look like new.

To re-tin something you need pure tin, and some tin flux (or dissolve some pure food tin in Hydrochloric acid (Muriatic acid) until no more will dissolve. With the cleaned steel perfectly clean (use ajax or some abrasive cleaning agent after the sandpaper/steel wool so water will not bead up on it) you warm the handle with a torch, paint the flux on--it instantly turns silverish then add more pure tin. But one must be absolutely sure that it is pure food grade tin, not lead/tin solder.

OP, I do hope you find what you need, though that odd gadget the egg beater may actually be only be found in Farangland. I do wish you had expressed your reasons f or it a bit in the first post as that would have saved us advising you improperly. I get that your egg beater wish should be honored. However many of us try to be helpful and often somebody posts on here with out much of a clue as to what's going on and so we try to find whatever is the most easy or practical solution for them. I don't think any of us were intentionally talking down to you or slighting your wrists.

Btw.... I had the good fortune of having a friend in my youth whose father was the #2 authority worldwide on egg beaters. His collection went back to the 1700's, and his book was recognized as the #2 on the subject. Why #2, not #1 ?! There was a schism, you see. The man who is seen as the world's foremost authority is much more of a self-promoter and also holds a larger collection - he wins by quantity. My friend's father is recognized as having the more historically significant collection of egg-beaters, and as having the more persuasive book, though less glossy. Bet you never thought of the contentious world of egg beater authorities before did you ?

Good luck in your quest !

gennisis

fixation abhorrence weirdo

Your continued characterization of my person in the complete absence of facts, particularly as you select more extreme terms, is unworthy. Have you not considered (none of your business, but have you at least considered) that OP's wrists don't work without pain? Alternatively, why in the world should I do a task I prefer to do my way - your way? Is not my experience of eggs to be honored too?

Unless you reported a lack of success with your methods and asked for fresh ideas, it would never occur to me to advise you to change your ways, and if I did and you indicated that the solution would not work for you, I certainly would not use the terms above to describe you. For that matter, I'd just keep my peace.

Truth is, you need to be more like me than the other way around.:whistling:

But by all means return to the thread, please, if you have found one of those essential tools of the kitchen, a manual eggbeater for sale in CM.

At this rate it will be 'egg beaters at dawn'......so I am sorry that my humble suggestions have caused you ire.

I wish you every success in obtaining your manual egg beater of choice and hope your resultant omelet gives you every satisfaction.

Incidentaly....since your 'manual egg beater produced' omelet is so light,can I assume you need a stepladder to eat it as it hovers up near the ceiling??

Have a happy omelet christmas and new year.

Alas, while Yok has many whisks, and Lotus Tesco Superhighway has some, neither carries a manual egg beater. It stands to reason, being so desirable, that they have flown off the shelves. Meanwhile, Thais, being so capable of physical movement and gyrations (94.6% of Thais of all ages can stoop down with heels flat on the ground, according to The Nation or some other sensationalist rag) certainly are able to whisk up an omelet that is almost light as air. Bless them.

Edited by CMX

Further researches negative. Tried Hang Dong Tesco/Lotus and Big C. No eggbeaters. Then had a brainwave. Index Living Mall. They use the Ikea "business model" it is said, and Ikea's kitchen selections are enormous. Not Index Living, however. But knives galore + they offer two kinds of plastic covered whisks?

Makes me sad for CM. I figure to be in BKK sometime, and asked their forum. Place is lousy with real manual eggbeaters, including Lotus/Tesco and Big C. Sad.

However, it does answer the question, "Why would anyone ever want to go to Bangkok?"

Edited by CMX