Kindle And Amazon

gennisis

Had a surprise this morning,...had bought a Kindle a few weeks ago from Amazon.

Opened my emails this morning...a mesage from Amazon...a refund of 14.43 GBP from the purchase due to a reduction in export tax.!!

Happy Christmas has started.

Now if only the baht rate would go back to 70.....

You order online from amazon.com in the USA.

Here's what I paid. I opted for the fast courier delivery which took 4 days. You pay the import tax to Amazon and they pass it on to Thai Customs. I would recommend you get the leather cover which makes the kindle much easier to hold when you are reading.

1 Kindle Leather Cover, Black... $34.99

1 Kindle 3 Wireless Reading Device $139.00

Shipped via DHL International

Item Subtotal: $173.99

Shipping and handling: $26.97

Import Fees Deposit: $57.63

Total: $258.59

• 3 months later...

You order online from amazon.com in the USA.

Here's what I paid. I opted for the fast courier delivery which took 4 days. You pay the import tax to Amazon and they pass it on to Thai Customs. I would recommend you get the leather cover which makes the kindle much easier to hold when you are reading.

1 Kindle Leather Cover, Black... $34.99

1 Kindle 3 Wireless Reading Device $139.00

Shipped via DHL International

Item Subtotal: $173.99

Shipping and handling: $26.97

Import Fees Deposit: $57.63

Total: $258.59

Did you, or anyone else, get anything back from the amazon deposit?

i was a bit tempted by the latest kindle...

but i don't know whether i should stop wasting money and settling with reading from ibook from iphone.

hehe..

would you really recommend to buy a kindle?

I'm not a big fan of Amazon but I have to admit that the Kindle is a great gadget. I read in bed at night until I am ready to fall asleep. Books are awkward and you need both hands to turn pages. The kindle text can be made bigger (no glasses) and pages can be turned one handed. The text is much clearer and easier to read than a regular book. Maybe the best part for me is when you want to sleep, flick the power switch and the Kindle remembers the page and goes to sleep.

A friend of mine bought it in the US and hand carried it to me so it cost me $139 US. Free shipping within the US.

but i don't know whether i should stop wasting money and settling with reading from ibook from iphone.

hehe..

It's been discussed many times before, try searching this forum for "kindle". But the short answer is, yes, there is nothing like a Kindle (or other eInk device) to read books. It doesn't do much else, but this it does extremely well.

Did you, or anyone else, get anything back from the amazon deposit?

I didn't.

hehe..

Reading via ibook on iphone or ipad strains your eyes since they are backlit- reading from kindle does not.

If buying a kindle dont forget to buy a leather case WITH light- i find this very useful reading in taxis at night, or in bed with the wife who is tying to sleep.