Tot Hi-Speed Internet “Jet Pack”

falkan

So am signing up for 9mbit TOT hi-speed internet “Jet Pack” for 890tbh a month and รับสิทธิ์แลกซื้อ Dual Port Modem ราคา 390 บาท หรือ Wireless Modem ราคา 890 บาท Redeem Dual Port Modem Wireless Modem Price: 390 baht price 890 Bath.

TOT told me i can only have 4 people/computers that can use the wireless at the same time? i never heard about a router that has a limit of 4 users?

i got some friends in the house they all want to use the internet, around 5-6 people so we can share on the bill :whistling:

i will use cable/tp for my computer do i play game on it and then the rest of the guys connecting wireless.

do i need to buy myself a new router/modem? or TOT just talking bull?

http://www.tot.co.th/index.php?option=com_linkcontent&Itemid=88&categoryid=42&task=detail&detail_id=1068〈=th

http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=sv&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=th&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tot.co.th%2Findex.php%3Foption%3Dcom_linkcontent%26categoryid%3D95%26Itemid%3D133%26lang%3Dth

I'm not sure about the 4-user limit, I guess it depends on the (wireless) router. Also consider the implications of going 'wireless' -- which is much less secure than a traditional wired network. Unless you have some knowledge about WLAN security, setting up a wired network might be a better option. You will need an ethernet switch to connect all users.

Edited by Supernova

Hi

I recently signed up with TOT JetPack.

I too was a bit confused by the four user limit until I received my wireless modem.

Beside wireless the modem has a 4 port Ethernet switch for manually connecting 4 users by cable thru their PC Ethernet (LAN) connections.

I can only assume that this is the meaning of the 4 user limit without actually trying to connect more than 4 users by wireless

Cheers

Sanuk

Hi

I too was a bit confused by the four user limit until I received my wireless modem.

Beside wireless the modem has a 4 port Ethernet switch for manually connecting 4 users by cable thru their PC Ethernet (LAN) connections.

I can only assume that this is the meaning of the 4 user limit without actually trying to connect more than 4 users by wireless

Cheers

Sanuk

Are you otherwise satisfied with the election over your broadband? good speed, stable and so on?

Thanks for the tip about the router, then there will be no problem!

Hi

Cheers

Sanuk

Are you otherwise satisfied with the election over your broadband? good speed, stable and so on?

Thanks for the tip about the router, then there will be no problem!

Yes quiet happy I get good speeds local and US daytime but night time the US connections are really throttled back . But remember TIT!

Very stable!

TOT has a big footprint in Thailand so one would expect servce to be ok.

Supernova's comments about wireless security are very valid. Now I generally use a LAN connection and reserve wireless for walkabout only.

I don't think TOT is associated with 3BB/Maxnet. I have a TOT line with TOT as the ISP. I think TTT uses 3BB as the ISP.

Sanuk

I guess TOT could limit the DHCP properties (via custom firmware) of the modem/router they supply, such that it can only hand out 4 specific or concurrent IP addresses? We'd have to find someone with the same model to verify the DHCP capabilities/settings. However I doubt that's the case, maybe just some caveat in the contract to keep you from re-selling access, or, as others have conjectured, a reference to the four (4) wired 100 Mbps ethernet ports? Generally it is advisable to get your own modem/router, which I think could pass out up to 255 IP addresses.

Edited by lomatopo

I guess TOT could limit the DHCP properties (via custom firmware) of the modem/router they supply, such that it can only hand out 4 specific or concurrent IP addresses? We'd have to find someone with the same model to verify the DHCP capabilities/settings. However I doubt that's the case, maybe just some caveat in the contract to keep you from re-selling access, or, as others have conjectured, a reference to the four (4) wired 100 Mbps ethernet ports? Generally it is advisable to get your own modem/router, which I think could pass out up to 255 IP addresses.

I have a Billion BiPac 5200 RC/RD Router supplied from TOT. I just checked the DHCP properties and the IP Pool is 100. So my theory of the "limit of 4" is due to the "4 wired 100 Mbps ports" is more feasible now.

Sanuk

I have a Billion BiPac 5200 RC/RD Router supplied from TOT. I just checked the DHCP properties and the IP Pool is 100. So my theory of the "limit of 4" is due to the "4 wired 100 Mbps ports" is more feasible now.

Sanuk

I expect there was just a problem in communications and the TOT rep meant only 4 hard wires/RJ45 cables could be hooked up the 4 port router. But if one of those ports goes to a wireless router then you can have numerous folks tapping into the wireless router signal, or if the TOT router you are referencing if it can also do wireless by itself.

I have the TOT 6Mb Jetpack here in western Bangkok and it provides very, very reliable service and good "in-country/Thailand" speed of around 5.2Mbs( keep in mind you have DSL overhead control bits of around 10-15% which substracts from the adverised package speed of 6Mb or 9Mb, etc). Speedtesting/browsing to international web sites range is in the 1 to 2Mb range, usually faster in the morning hours. Using a download manager I pull around 3 to 4Mb for file downlaods from international sites.

Good internet in Thailand is largely driven by "location, location, location" regardless of the various ISPs that may serve a location. TOT (or 3BB or True or???) can be providing good/fast service in one location and not too far away the service can suck due to quality of lines/junction boxes/DSLAMs/capability of the internet circuits in that local area/location. So, even though TOT works good for me, for you it may not. Location, location, location. It's somewhat of a crap shoot.

Also, keep in mind that the more people that tap into your line/wireless signal the more it's going to slow down for each person. Kinda like hooking one water hose up to a spigot--you get strong water pressure from that "one" hose. But hookup 4 water hoses to that one spigot, then only one-quarter of the water flow is going to come out each of those 4 hoses when compared to the flow from the one hose hookup only.

Edited by Pib

Sanuk

Also, keep in mind that the more people that tap into your line/wireless signal the more it's going to slow down for each person. Kinda like hooking one water hose up to a spigot--you get strong water pressure from that "one" hose. But hookup 4 water hoses to that one spigot, then only one-quarter of the water flow is going to come out each of those 4 hoses when compared to the flow from the one hose hookup only.

I can regulate the speed of the router/internet? I set 5mbit for me and give the rest 4mbit? flexible ways to solve this?

heard that you can adjust the speed in the router somehow?