Swimming Pool Filter Timing.

monsieurhappy

My pool is about 10 x 5 metres, kidney shaped, 0.85 mts. shallow end down to 1.80 deep end. It's been fine for over 2 1/2 yrs. Now this new pool-man as increased running time for filter. Before it ran 2 sessions of about 4 hrs. each, now it's 2 sessions totalling about 11 hrs. What time do others run their filters and is there any need for this increase? :o:D

Normally filters are calculated to filter the complete contents of your pool in 8 hours or less. (for domestic use, for public use 4 hours or less is recommended)

Hence two times 4 hour filter sessions seems ok when your pool is at max. size for the filter.

Any more filtering would only be neccesary after initially filling your pool, or if bad maintenance resulted in the pool turning green from algae.

Then a heavy dose of a flocculant would be needed combined with nonstop filtering to get the floating algea out, followed by vacuming out the algea which have settled on the bottom....

Since you write it was OK for over 2 years, we can assume the filter is sized correctly, so there would be no need to increase filtering times.This would only increase electricity consumption ...

I must start by warning you that I have little to know knowledge of pool maintenance. I'm usually of the opinion if its not broke don't fix it. On the other hand perhap your pool person changed some other parameter along with the pumping time...possibly reduced chlorine rate...or if your pump is oversized for the filter and it has a bypass then the bypass rate was changed to reduce pump pressure...or longer interval between servicing....or???? You might try asking the poolperson why they changed the pump timing....unless your pump person is sort of intimidating or something.

Thanks for the replys guys. My wife asked the pool man today why he changed the timings, all she got in reply was a stupid shrug of the shoulders and a silly grin. He as sinced changed the settings back. As Monty said, if you 've had no problems for more than 2 yrs. why change the settings? Actually, I think this pool man is new to the job and knows less about it than me! and I know sod all! The amount of different pool men we've had in the last couple of months, I wouldn't be surprised if it's a different one again next week. :o:D

I run the pump automatically for 3 hrs a day in two 1.5 hr sessions( one i the late morning and in the late afternoon), in a 4m X 8m pool. You might want to manually turn the pump on if you are using the pool in between those sessions. The pool maintenance "crew" tends to over do it....if the pool is used for only private use, the time frame is accurate....For a larger pool such as yours, 4 hrs a day seems reasonable....If there is no green discoloration, and a lot of leaves, bugs and residue in your pool....Things are fine as they are. :o

• 1 year later...

The standard recomendation for filtering is to filter the volume of the pool 1.5 times a day. In most matched filter/pump systems it is about 8 hours. This is for standard usage in the swimming season. You should have the pump running when the pool is in use, this is specially important if you are using a salt water system.Most people use the typical swimming times as part of their filtering cycle.

In places that have a cool non swimming season, the pump running period can be reduced. Typically this is reduced to 2 hours/day, if you have a timer, or 8 hours once or twice a week if you are manually turning the system on and off. The main purpose of this is to get the pump hot enough to dry it out and prevent it seizing. During the cool season there is less activity in the things that grow.

If you do not filter the water enough the first symptom is cloudyness, it is cheaper and easier to run the filter for 24 or so hours than adding chemicals. It is also worth checking that the filter is in the recomended pressure range. If the back pressure is high, the filter will be less efficient and may need backwashing or cleaning.