Electrical Voltage In Thailand

abbeyman

Hi people

Please help me out here. I'm moving to Thailand next month. I have a load of LP's & 45's that I want to bring with me as it would be a shame to leave them behind. I also have a stereo unit to play them on which I also want to bring over. I realise these are now considered "dinosaurs" in this age of CD's and other technological advancement in music. Can anybody confirm for me that the voltage in Thailand is 212 v and would I be able to use my stereo system via any sort of adaptor. Any help would be much appreciated.

According to link below the voltage in Thailand is 220V and 50Hz.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mains_power_around_the_world

You did not mention which country you are leaving.

The frequency Hz (Hertz) can be important ------- it is easy enough to change the voltage with a transformer, which would not be expensive for your appliance. However, changing the frequency, is not so easy ---- nor cheap.

As mentioned, it is 220V 50Hz here and a step down 220-110 transformer will deal with the voltage issue if the units have no input voltage selector on the back or universal voltage, that is 105-240 VAC. Depending on the turntable, the 50 Hz may not be an issue if it has an interchangeable belt & pulley which I had on mine.

Also just realized, you didn't mention which country you are coming from - the above applies for the US, if Britain or other 220/50 country then you will be ok. Just may have to buy an AC plug adapter which are readily available here.

Thanks for the info. Coming from England.

Note, too, that it's kind of rare to plug an appliance into a grounded/earthed outlet. When you're shopping for an apartment, condo, or whatever, ask about this, then test.

http://www.acmehowto.com/howto/homemaintenance/electrical/grounding.php

http://everything2.com/title/How+to+test+the+electrical+ground+for+a+house

Wiring a piece of equipment up to a water pipe often doesn't work. Had a friend here who did that in his condo. We suggested he check out the material of the pipes, turned out they were the blue PVC types. Back to the drawing board!

Mac

Note, too, that it's kind of rare to plug an appliance into a grounded/earthed outlet. When you're shopping for an apartment, condo, or whatever, ask about this, then test.

http://www.acmehowto...l/grounding.php

http://everything2.c...und+for+a+house

Wiring a piece of equipment up to a water pipe often doesn't work. Had a friend here who did that in his condo. We suggested he check out the material of the pipes, turned out they were the blue PVC types. Back to the drawing board!

Mac

Ah, just remembered another item, electrical polarity.

I've had some U.S. source equipment that had different width plug prongs that do not fit in Thai based electrical outlets. Solution? Get a file out and shave down the wide prong on your cord.

Didn't seem to make any difference in operation, but then, I'm not a techie.

Mac

Bear in mind that the electricity system in Thailand is very unstable and voltage particularly in rural areas varies considerably and damages a lot of equipment. Depending on location you may need a voltage stabilizer to avoid damage to your equipment.

I think it would be a better solution to locate a company in the UK that will convert all the LPs and 45 to CDs for you. In the end you will be better off and no hassles playing the music anywhere you go. No worries or costs to bring that old stuff over here and hassle with the plugs and voltages.

Time to move in to the 21st century my man

Edited by longball53098

Then throw all your plugs away. 13 amp fused plugs are far too safe for this country . Not too many places have an earthed system so you'll have to use 2 pin plugs and make your own earthing arrangements. Most houses have a copper rod stuck in the ground someplace and you'll have to look for it. Not a condo type so I can't say how they get on.

Tesco's here do an extension lead that takes UK plugs and others, also a voltage trip for overload (forgot what it's proper name is) but is supposed to protect from voltage surge. The lead has a three pin Thai plug for an earthed three pin socket. :)

Tesco's here do an extension lead that takes UK plugs and others, also a voltage trip for overload (forgot what it's proper name is) but is supposed to protect from voltage surge. The lead has a three pin Thai plug for an earthed three pin socket. :)

... whilst the wall socket has buggerall connected to the ground pin!

However, if the OP does happen to move into the 'one in ten thousand' place where the earth pin is actually earthed, make sure you purchase Belkin outlet strips... at Carrefour.

Most of the other locally hawked power strips normally only have the live and neutral wired up. I have bought some more expensive, locally made and sexily packaged 3-pin power strips that had only 2 conductor wire! <deleted>?

Best bet is follow crossy's suggestion and bring half a dozen from the UK and get the input plug changed here. That way your are assured that there's 3 wires connected to 3 pins. However, what's behind the wall is anyone's guess!

Edited by NanLaew