Electrical And Plumbing For Washing Machine

dbrisinda

Hello,

We just picked up a washing machine from a friend. However, now the more difficult problem of connecting the thing. We don't have any hookups in place. After inspection, it looks like what we will need is:

1. T-off the water line, lay some piping, and drill a hole into the outer wall with water spicket.

2. Tap into a nearby electrical outlet and lay a wire over the ceiling and install an electric outlet close to where the washing machine will be.

3. Adapt the washer drain hose to fit into existing drainage system

Any information on cost of labour for a good plumber/electrician? What are fair-market hourly rates anyway?

Thanks for any help.

P.S. I'm re-posting to this forum as it seems more appropriate (I'm living in Mae Rim/Mae Ann outside Chiang Mai)

Make sure that there is an earth to the washing machine, most Thai electricians will say you don't need it. Don't accept that answer unless you feel suicidal.

Very good point garyh !!!!!!!!!! Especially if you have a washer and dryer next to each other where you can touch both at the same time. Be safe and ground them both. When I moved here originally that was one of the things I corrected right away with ours along with adding grounds to all the hot water wall packs in the showers.

edit: Almost forgot, don't let the installer convince you that a wire tied to a nail in the cement is adequate for a ground. Seen that around quite a bit.

Edited by ThaiWx

Hourly rates are uncommon. A job like yours, will most likely be quoted giving total prices, one for the plumb and one for the elect. There are probably a couple of guys in your village who can do it but do be sure it is grounded, not hard to do, a bit of wire and a grounding rod. Alternatively check with nearby building sites for tradesmen who could do your job after work or on a day off. Price will depend on how long the pipe and elect lines are but probably not more than 1,000 Baht total and likely closer to 600 for the labor if you find tradesmen nearby. Another 3-500 Baht for materials.

• 2 weeks later...