Why Painting House Cost High?

tangcoral

Hi,

I just found your post and wonder how much if cost finally ?

My understanding is that good quality job is expensive here, as good furniture, and for example its easy to reach 500k to renovate a 30 sqm room with very good quality job and furniture.

Did you manage to find 5 reliable guys and pay them 250 thb a day ? It seems difficult, as it's not as in Europe or US where workers are educated enough to understand what kind of good job you want, and where they will do it for sure, and care about it ! Here they need a boss (who should also speak ESAN :-) ) to tell them what to do and manage them, something especially difficult to do for foreigners, even with Thai wife...

Also, as there is no unemployment no woker will care if you are happy or not (will you go to the court?), so it's one more reason to pay someone a bit expensive to control the workers.

I might be wrong but this is my experience, and i never managed to find reliable cheap workers to do easy job as painting, at least nobody i could have trusted enough to let him decorate my condos...

I am interested to know what you all are thinking about this ?

• 2 weeks later...

Hiring five guys off the street for minimum wage to paint your house.

Disaster.

Exactly!

My company is currently painting 100 villas in Koh Samui and let me tell you from first hand experience that painting is a trade skill. Just the same as back home, if you pay peanuts then you will get monkeys! If you want a professional job done then you will need to pay the going rate.

Good luck to the OP. I think he will need plenty of it.

Hiring five guys off the street for minimum wage to paint your house.

Disaster.

Exactly!

My company is currently painting 100 villas in Koh Samui and let me tell you from first hand experience that painting is a trade skill. Just the same as back home, if you pay peanuts then you will get monkeys! If you want a professional job done then you will need to pay the going rate.

Good luck to the OP. I think he will need plenty of it.

What is the going rate for scrapers and for skilled painters?

I have been quoted by 3 painting companies to paint my house at a cost of 40-50K baht.

I have even asked around what others have paid and this figure seems about typical?

Is it?

Job Includes patching, sanding, priming and 2 coats of paint of interior, exterior wall and walled in concrete fence.

House is your typical 3bdrm 3 bath house of roughly 200sqm.

Did that include sanding and painting any exterior wood trim, wooden windows and window frames, under the eaves?

after doing a LOT of painting i Thailand I have found that Jotun seems to be the best.

Nippon suxs in my book, this is why, the red pigment is to light, and the paint does not flow and relax to remove brush strokes ect.

4 coats of nippon red and it still needed another 2 coats and looked BAD

2 coats of Jotun and job done !!!

the problem is the base they use, nippon use a base with less white so does not cover as well.

ICI is good but I still like to stick with Jotun and after about 300 liters of paint in Thailand I am happy with this brand!

as for the cost of the job, wait untill you employ the staff and see how many days it takes and the quality of the 250 baht a day labor, you do get what you pay for in many ways in Thailand.

add to that the tools needed ladders brushes, rollers, scrapers, float, wire brushes ect.

If you have the time do it yourself, if not find some people who care about there work, and at 250 baht a day dont expect them to care to much!

It takes time and patience to paint a house whether inside or out: tape, tarpaulins, ladders, scaffolding, ropes, sandpaper and sanders, thinners, proper(costly)brushes which don't leave strands throughout the paint surface,and meticulously careful laborers who do not leave the floor or grounds spattered with paint. Slow, steady and conscientious are the bywords; and these take time. One has to scrape, possibly sandblast, and smooth the surface. If it's covered with black grey weathered scum then this takes more time to remove and dry before priming. Many want to save a few thousand baht by not priming, but hey. Two coats of prime, each coat sanded. Then two coats of quality 'washable' paint is best. Non-washable means the jingjok tracings, cats' paw marks, and children's artwork must remain a nuisance. I go with the advice of Bankruatsteve #30, TOA's washable 'Supershield Duraclean' for the interior, and various TOA exterior paints depending on your budget. Can't go wrong especially with 'Supershield Duraclean'. Albeit there are probably equally good brands, too: like ICI but not having used them, I can not recommend.

^ You will do well to avoid 'Nippon' and the famously cheap 'Junior' brands.

• 4 weeks later...

What would it cost to paint a plain one floor villa 2 bathrooms, 1 toilet and living room inside and out with good paint?

Would save a lot of money to buy paint, brushes, scrapers etc myself for the workers?

and how often do you repaint ? Every year? three years?

Good paint , decent job , 5 years minimum . Inside longer since no elements it is exposed to .

1 primer , 2 topcoats are the necessary actions to be taken .

Good quality primer around 2000 to 3000 baht for 5 gallon bucket .

Good quality paint , around 3000 to 4000 baht for 5 gallon . Inside paint is a bit cheaper but not that great amount .

In general , most companies / paints give around 10m2 / l or 33 to 38 m2 / gallon per coat .

Now you can go counting how many sqm you have and how many buckets you need . Extra costs are the rollers etc , which are cheap , and the labour ( or not if you do it yourself ) .

Possible extra cost , mouldwash if needed ( black traces on the wall , caused by frequent exposure to water ) .