NATO soldier killed in Afghan bomb blast

News_Editor

NATO soldier killed in Afghan bomb blast

2010-12-22 07:48:46 GMT+7 (ICT)

KABUL (BNO NEWS) -- A coalition service member was killed in an explosion in southern Afghanistan on Tuesday, the NATO-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) said.

ISAF said the service member was killed as a result of an improvised explosive device (IED) attack in the country's south, but provided no other information about the attack.

The nationality of the service member was also not immediately disclosed. "It is ISAF policy to defer casualty identification procedures to the relevant national authorities," an ISAF statement said.

Coalition casualties in Afghanistan have been rising sharply this year, with around 90 fatalities in July alone, making it the deadliest month for U.S. forces since the war began on October 7, 2001 in response to the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks on the United States.

The council of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) eventually declared that the attacks of 9/11, which killed nearly 3,000 people from scores of countries, was considered an attack on all NATO nations. The NATO-backed war in Afghanistan aims to defeat the Taliban and other insurgent groups in the country.

So far this year, more than 700 coalition service members have been killed in Afghanistan. Most of them were American and died in Afghanistan's war-torn southern region. In 2009, the total death toll stood at 521.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2010-12-22

I deeply resent that the names and nationalities of ISAF soldiers murdered in Afghanistan are not mentioned in the press releases. I guess its to make the European Nato members feel better about their reticent contribution to the UN mandated peacekeeping action. Kandahar is one of the most volatile of Afghanistan's regions and Canada has carried the brunt of the fighting which is why it has sustained one of the highest casualty rates compared to the number of troops deployed. The French, Germans and Italians have made sure to take the low risk regions leaving the most dangerous areas to Canada, the USA and the UK.

Corporal Steve Martin was 1 day shy of his 25th birthday. He was helping protect road construction workers in Kanadahar. The road he was helping secure is used to bring food to the locals, to facilitate commerce and to ease the burden of a nation that had its infrastructure neglected during the Taliban dictatorship.

He was on foot when a coward detonated an IED. He served with the Royal 22e Regiment, les Van Doos (from the mangled english pronounciation of vingt deux -22). It's the most famous francophone regiment in Canada, and one that has drawn some of the largest number of casualties along with the 2nd combat engineers. His body was stuck on a plane in Frankfurt due to the snowstorms. It's going to be one crappy Christmas for his family and friends.

RIP Cpl. Martin.

Edited by geriatrickid

I deeply resent that the names and nationalities of ISAF soldiers murdered in Afghanistan are not mentioned in the press releases.

He was on foot when a coward detonated  an IED.

Yes RIP & condolences to his family.

I agree and think they should show all names of all dead of either side.

But I do not understand your coward remark at all.

Does not the invading forces kill from greater distances via drones and gunships that are so far off they cannot be heard?

Do you suggest that the invaded side all challenge the invading forces to 20 pace duels? Or kill them only when they can see the whites of their eyes?

I do not want to debate your statement that one side is cowardly for killing invaders while the invaders freely kill from greater distances. I just thought it was odd and out of place in an otherwise nice sentiment to a fallen soldier.