Metropolitan Electricity Authority, Bangkok

samtam

Our condo received a letter yesterday from the Metropolitan Electricity Authority, Bangkok informing us that electricity would be cut to our premises on Sunday 26th December between 08.30-15.30.

Apart from the fact that it's Christmas, which understandably is of no consequence to the majority of Thais, why would this work be carried out on a Sunday, when people want to be at home with their families, in airconditioned comfort, watching TV, looking at the internet, or cooking. Apparently several of the major hotels in the area - Banyan Tree, Sukhothai, Marriott etc are also affected, no doubt cutting into their lucrative (overpriced) brunch revenues, in a year that has seen their revenues drop sharply anyway.

Personally I'm cancelling Christmas this year, as my condo management have also decided that they will hold a fire drill exercise on Christmas Day between 9.00-12.00 with alarm bells ringing etc. I suppose it's a different take on the normal Christmas bells.

And whilst I'm on this rant, if Thais don't celebrate Christmas, why are there all these hideous Christmas decorations littering the city? And food halls more challenging with overpriced gift hampers of dubious content blocking ailses.

Bah humbug.

If you look carefully at those Christmas decorations and Christmas hampers you will probably find 'Happy New Year' on them. Thai's don't do Christmas.

Just like back home i do see Merry X-mas and happy new year. so it is not just for the new year.

face it its all about commercialization