Mangosteen Extract

bittencourt

they sell it at Rimping and Tops supermarkets here in Chiang Mai. Kind of hard to find but is on shelf of fruit juices.

In Pattaya then I would look in comparable Falangified supermarkets.

It's a mixture of juices. The mangosteen skin extract is very bitter and needs to be balanced with some sweetness.

The bottle's are about 350 baht.

:whistling:

Sorry to "hijack" this topic...but I see there was a good answer above. I wonder if someone can answer mine also.

What I wonder is if Tops, Carrefour, or a similiar store also has Pomegranate Juice...either with no sugar or low sugar in it. Yes, I know that Pomegranate juice can be found "sweetened up" for a better taste with sugar...but I'm trying to avoid as much sugar as I can. If I can find unsweetened or low sugar Pomegranate juice locally, it would be great. I can always dilute it with water if I need to.

I read an article in a medical journal on a five year trial of the results of a study of high blood pressure patients who drank Pomegranate juice in their diet. It seems to have shown a good effect in lowering blood pressure when taken on a regular basis over that five year period. I know that Pomegranate juice is produced in Thailand...but most of the producers I've seen on the internet want a minimum of 100 350 ML. boxes per order. That's a little more than I can consume and store in my small house easily.

:lol:

Edited by IMA_FARANG

yeah its a good question about Pomegranate juice... I would stay away from the packaged stuff because they pasteurize it so it lasts longer and also cut it with other sugary juices to increase the profits. The heating process damages the properties of the juice.

If you go to markets you can get the fruits yourself. There is a trick to peel it where you cut into sections and soak and fairly easy separate the seeds. Can find video's on youtube... it simple once you learn how.

From there could do a few things

--Just eat them. nice addition to a salad etc.

-- put them in a blender and drink them in a smoothie etc

-- put them in a blender and then squeeze the juice out thru a cheese cloth... You basically wrap it up in a ball and strangle it and collect the juice..

-- if you have a juicer can juice it also

Any of those methods will get the full antioxidant value.. Very good for anti inflammation.

Check Makro because they often have really good prices on them. They are in season now also.

they sell it at Rimping and Tops supermarkets here in Chiang Mai. Kind of hard to find but is on shelf of fruit juices.

In Pattaya then I would look in comparable Falangified supermarkets.

It's a mixture of juices. The mangosteen skin extract is very bitter and needs to be balanced with some sweetness.

The bottle's are about 350 baht.

Thanks. I found one mangosteen juice (blended as you said) from one brand called "OM" at supermaket ground floor Central Shopping (pattaya beach road). The price is exactly THB 350. The composition mention 9% mangosteen.

I guess is mangosteen extract because the cost and the really dark color red/purple.

Tipco brand juices are available at Tesco and probably a lot of other places.

I'm not positive, but I seem to recall they have mangosteen juice. Maybe as part of a 'mixed' juice.

The Apple Cider they sell has no sugar added, and contains 30% pomegranate juice.

They also sell just pomegranate juice, but I don't recall if any sugar is added.

The apple cider is supposed to help lower blood sugar.

Terry

Mangosteen being a super fruit is by thai standards expensive,why dont you just buy the fruit and extract your own juice/smoothie.

No blending then and hopefully you will see some positive results regarding your brother's Lupus.

I understand it is a seasonal fruit but it can be stored in the frezzer and used in small quantities if beneficial.

Mangosteen being a super fruit is by thai standards expensive,why dont you just buy the fruit and extract your own juice/smoothie.

No blending then and hopefully you will see some positive results regarding your brother's Lupus.

I understand it is a seasonal fruit but it can be stored in the frezzer and used in small quantities if beneficial.

Not quite... The mangosteen inner white pulp which tastes good is not the superfood part. The fruit itself is just another overbred high sugar fruit.

It's the bitter dark red skin that has the noteworthy medicinal qualities and is extracted by chemical process.

"The Mangosteen Pericarp - which is the rind or peel and contains the highest level of xanthones"

Xanthones are natural plant defenses that have prevailed in keeping the fruit from being eaten by insects etc. Basically a natural pesticide.

Having said that I have experimented with the extracts and can't really tell any great benefits or boost. It may very well help people with specific conditions but I am not so sold on it being a superfood when delivered like the OM product.

It would probably have more value taking the rind when fresh and making a paste at home and then diluting with something more pleasant tasting. Have you warn you I have tasted the red rind and it's not for the timid. I have heard but can't really confirm but the chemical process is required to remove other caustic alkaloids which a person should not be ingesting.

Can anyone clarify that?

post-27132-0-60715500-1293257148_thumb.p

Edited by CobraSnakeNecktie

In Bangkok, you will occasionally run into street vendors who are squeezing fresh pomegranate juice. Usually 50 baht per small bottle I think.

yeah its a good question about Pomegranate juice... I would stay away from the packaged stuff because they pasteurize it so it lasts longer and also cut it with other sugary juices to increase the profits. The heating process damages the properties of the juice.

If you go to markets you can get the fruits yourself. There is a trick to peel it where you cut into sections and soak and fairly easy separate the seeds. Can find video's on youtube... it simple once you learn how.

From there could do a few things

--Just eat them. nice addition to a salad etc.

-- put them in a blender and drink them in a smoothie etc

-- put them in a blender and then squeeze the juice out thru a cheese cloth... You basically wrap it up in a ball and strangle it and collect the juice..

-- if you have a juicer can juice it also

Any of those methods will get the full antioxidant value.. Very good for anti inflammation.

Check Makro because they often have really good prices on them. They are in season now also.