President Obama signs 'Don't ask, Don't tell' repeal into law

News_Editor

President Obama signs 'Don't ask, Don't tell' repeal into law

2010-12-23 09:11:06 GMT+7 (ICT)

WASHINGTON D.C. (BNO NEWS) -- U.S. President Barack Obama on Wednesday signed the 'Don't ask, Don't tell' repeal into law to end the discriminatory practice which banned gay and lesbian people from openly serving in the U.S. armed forces.

"I am proud to sign a law that will bring an end to 'Don't ask, Don't tell'," President Obama said, followed by applause from the audience. "This law I'm about to sign will strengthen our national security and uphold the ideals that our fighting men and women risk their lives to defend."

The repeal signing represents a major victory to advocates of gay rights, and also for Obama as he had pledged to end the law during his presidential campaign. However, it does not immediately implement the repeal but initiates the process of eradicating the ban on gay people serving openly in the military.

"That is why I say to all Americans, gay or straight, who want nothing more than to defend this country in uniform: Your country needs you, your country wants you, and we will be honored to welcome you into the ranks of the finest military the world has ever known."

The signing ceremony was celebrated in the auditorium of the Interior Department headquarters in Washington, D.C. Several soldiers who were discharged from military service because they were gay were in attendance too.

"As the first generation to serve openly in our Armed Forces, you will stand for all those who came before you, and you will serve as role models to all who come after. And I know that you will fulfill this responsibility with integrity and honor, just as you have every other mission with which you've been charged," Obama said.

The repeal was passed by both the U.S. House and the U.S. Senate last week, sending it to President Obama for his signature. It will bring to an end a controversial policy which bans openly gay, lesbian, and bisexuals from serving in the U.S. military.

"We are a nation that welcomes the service of every patriot. We are a nation that believes that all men and women are created equal," the U.S. president added.

DADT became official policy in December 1993, restricting the U.S. military from efforts to discover or repeal closeted gay, lesbian, and bisexual service members or applicants. Openly gay, lesbian, or bisexuals are barred from the military under the policy.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2010-12-23