What Would You Do If You Were Me?

sidjameson

some helpful stuff here, thanks.

Just to clarify something. I am by no means on my last legs. My back is a funny thing. I go jogging and I feel great. The only thing I can't do it stand still. I actually expect it to not bother my life much other than I really prefer not to have to work. The prostate is just something I may have to live with, but by no means the catalyst to "burn the candle at both ends"

The point about women not being the same as they were 10 years ago. Thats a worry. :)

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi sidjameson

Firstly, sorry no words of wisdom. but as your asking just my opinion;You say you've been living in Japan for the last 13 years, was that as a teacher, you also say you live cheap and able to still work a few hours a day.........Is that right? As it's been pointed out, you won't get a retirement visa in Thailand till your 50. As far as visas go, well that can all be navigated, this visa, that visa, no real problems. Would I be right in thinking your looking at more countries than Thailand, Philippines perhaps?

I may be off the mark here but you haven't said anything about having to leave Japan, I would say 13 years means you have adapted fine and like it there, Is the appeal of Thailand mainly about finding a wife? Nothing wrong with that, nothing at all, but if it is, then you've opened up a whole new ball game! There are as many honest and trustworthy women in Thailand as there are one's who will steel the air out your lungs, if they can sell it! Problem is without some experience and a bit of a tail wind your just not going to spot them, and that bank roll of your will fast become there's. Enough said on this, keep reading the topics on TV.

Making money from your cash in hand? Well, I like most TV's who reply to this topic have hairy balls not crystal ones! So you'll have to take any advice with a pinch of salt. Personally, (looking into my orbs) I would not buy any property in the UK just now. Personally, I would stay where I am, working and building up my cash and taking a few holidays in Thailand and any other locations I think I might like to retire. Looking and learning with open eyes and heart.

Oh, one last thing, taking a Thai wife back to the UK, (to live the simple life) just remember you can take the girl out of Thailand but never Thailand out the girl, and have you seen the cost of Som Tum in Bristol?

Good luck in what ever you decide.

Put 90% of your capital into a 2/3 year bond in the UK .

Move out here.

Live modestly close to a border run location. Enjoy the sun and fun. Monitor the health. Look for possible work. Look for possible love.

Use the remaining 10% to fund luxuries, visa runs, visits to the UK, etc.

After a couple of years, if it isn't working out, go back home. With 90% of your capital intact, it wouldn't make a huge diference in todays property market.

Why live to regret something 10 years down the road, when in 10 years time anything could have happened. The light at the end of the tunnel might have been switched off.

Good luck.:jap:

I'd suggest a Thai woman >age 35. With your issues the only young and pretty one you'll likely get will bleed you dry. An older woman who never worked in the trade will value "you" much, much more for what little (great amount--choose your POV) of security you bring with you.

He never said anywhere that he wanted a prostitute!

How do you know pension will exist at 66?

Carpe Diem

INDEED. It seems your government has already spent your pension.

You could invest that 290k pound & get enough income to increase your wealth & live quite well in Thailand - visa issues seem to be your biggest drama on that front. The big HOWEVER & its a big however,

You happened to mention the GREATEST MONEY REDUCING AGENT, KNOWN TO MAN IN THAILAND, so you future looks very bleek indeed.

Good advice here. Makes sense to me.

£290000 sterling is not a lot these days. For example that’s about the price of an average 2 bedroom house in a working class area within the UK.

In Thailand the OP would be fair game for female predators hungry for his cash, plus having to be fully financially responsible for his medical expenses that wont be cheap, plus I doubt if his health will improve with age.

My advice to the OP is; stay based in the UK where he will be secure. He could purchase a small studio apartment for around £100000 and bank the rest as savings. He would have the back up of the Social Security system if he were unable to work due to health reasons and perhaps a State pension if he makes it to old age.

The OP could spend a few weeks per year in Thailand. Plenty of short timers here if he wants women.

Now, would I lie to you?

Carpe Diem

You could invest that 290k pound & get enough income to increase your wealth & live quite well in Thailand - visa issues seem to be your biggest drama on that front. The big HOWEVER & its a big however,

You happened to mention the GREATEST MONEY REDUCING AGENT, KNOWN TO MAN IN THAILAND, so you future looks very bleek indeed.

£290000 sterling is not a lot these days. For example that's about the price of an average 2 bedroom house in a working class area within the UK.

In Thailand the OP would be fair game for female predators hungry for his cash, plus having to be fully financially responsible for his medical expenses that wont be cheap, plus I doubt if his health will improve with age.

My advice to the OP is; stay based in the UK where he will be secure. He could purchase a small studio apartment for around £100000 and bank the rest as savings. He would have the back up of the Social Security system if he were unable to work due to health reasons and perhaps a State pension if he makes it to old age.

The OP could spend a few weeks per year in Thailand. Plenty of short timers here if he wants women.

Now, would I lie to you?

Sorry but you obviously have not read the full thread or the Ops answers which cover all this...and he stated he wants awife ..not short times..

If I had put this forward in any other country specific forum in the world I am sure I wouldn't get so many posters refering to the use of prostitutes.

Beetlejuice, even in my city; Exeter which has high house prices, the average cost of a 2 bedroom place is 173,000 according to findyourproperty.com

290k not a lot of money! I think you will find that globally that puts me in the richest 10% in the world.

If I was you, I would invest the money in Singapore (via a bank), keep the money out of Thailand and only bring in what you need, as they are difficult to take out of the country again. There is also some horror stories in TV where money have mysteriously disappeared from expat bank accounts in LOS.

Yes it is possible to find a very nice woman in Thailand but as many posters warn: be careful, many of the girls are worthy for an Oscar nomination :lol: , so don't take one that is extremely beautiful unless you look like Brad Pitt and have the money to match. Try Thailovelinks as a starting point and you will get an idea what you can expect.

Chose between UK or Thailand , well you don't sound like you like long dark miserable winters so take your pick.B)

Good luck.

My 2 pals and I all have extremely good looking wives ages, 30-36 (my wife is the oldest female, and I am the youngest male)

None of us are spending more than 50kbht a month ..........

I'm the newby at 10 months, the guys have been married 6 and 8 years and are well into their 60s

Plenty of good looking girls around happy to make do with decent but older guys.

Edited by sarahsbloke

If I had put this forward in any other country specific forum in the world I am sure I wouldn't get so many posters refering to the use of prostitutes.

Beetlejuice, even in my city; Exeter which has high house prices, the average cost of a 2 bedroom place is 173,000 according to findyourproperty.com

290k not a lot of money! I think you will find that globally that puts me in the richest 10% in the world.

yes precisely.

Thats why, as an ex Singapore banker, i suggested what i did in my earlier post.

Any of the banks mentioned will happily welcome you as a private client with GBP 250k or more.

If they cant get you an 8-10% pa return on your money i would be very surprised and you can live comfortably on that in Thailand..

I would completely ignore any of the posts which mention prostitutes, the are not in yuor league..

all the best

My 2 pals and I all have extremely good looking wives ages, 30-36 (my wife is the oldest female, and I am the youngest male)

None of us are spending more than 50kbht a month ..........

I'm the newby at 10 months, the guys have been married 6 and 8 years and are well into their 60s

Plenty of good looking girls around happy to make do with decent but older guys.

I don't consider mid 30's young. If the OP is looking for an older girl, then yes those are available and many will settle for what they can get before their looks run out. He may have a chance there.

The OP said young and attractive though. That is a completely different category from what you are talking about. Keep in mind the OP is only in his early 40's. 30+ might be young to a 60 year old, but at 43 young means something entirely different.

The OP said young and attractive though. That is a completely different category from what you are talking about. Keep in mind the OP is only in his early 40's. 30+ might be young to a 60 year old, but at 43 young means something entirely different.

The other guys have been with their wives for a while ...... met the girls when the ladies were mid-twenties.

I'm pretty sure a 25 year old slim Thai girl looks good to many 40 year old Englishman.

Edited by sarahsbloke

Carpe Diem

£290000 sterling is not a lot these days. For example that's about the price of an average 2 bedroom house in a working class area within the UK.

Now, would I lie to you?

Sorry but you obviously have not read the full thread or the Ops answers which cover all this...and he stated he wants awife ..not short times..

I fully understand the OPs intentions.

The point I am making is that someone like the OP living in Thailand is going to be a prime target for gold digging females. He could be placing himself in a very vulnerable and dangerous situation. There are hoards of lying unscrupulous women over here queuing up to meet a vulnerable gullible guy like the OP.

What I said still stands.

If the OP does not heed the common sense advice from people of experience such as neverdie and myself, then it`s his funeral and the best of British luck.

Now, would I lie to you?

I fully understand the OPs intentions.

The point I am making is that someone like the OP living in Thailand is going to be a prime target for gold digging females. He could be placing himself in a very vulnerable and dangerous situation. There are hoards of lying unscrupulous women over here queuing up to meet a vulnerable gullible guy like the OP.

What I said still stands.

If the OP does not heed the common sense advice from people of experience such as neverdie and myself, then it`s his funeral and the best of British luck.

+1,

OP, read lots from way back on the forum. Many guys who will not admit stuff but post have been there. I know of many that have lost bundles thinking they are making a difference but in reality have been taken for a ride. Internet dating here is a no no. Just come and spend a lot of time talking to farangs and sussing thing out. If we met l could tell you a lot of stories how a farang came unstuck. This is not farangland. :)

OP,

I would invest at least 250k GBP of your money outside of Thailand (the Singapore option sounds perfect), move to Thailand, but away from the expensive expat zones (where a lot of the predatory women tend to be too), for example, move to any number of the provincial capitals where you could rent a nice place for about 5-10 thousand THB per month.

There are expat scenes in most towns and with your experience, should you wish to, you could do some P/T teaching if you fancied it (this could ultimately help you with your visa or just some cash in hand stuff for 300 THB an hour at any number of the language centres that would be in the town you chose).

With 40,000 GBP in 'liquid' funds (pardon the pun), that's over 1.5 million THB! This can be invested in Thailand too of course. You can have a lovely life on anything from 25-50k per month (everyone has different standards of course) outside of the tourist traps/bangkok. With a little extra dosh from some 'on the side' teaching (up to you, but it's great fun and very stress free compared to Japan) you could easily have 7-10 years on that cash... in that time, you would have integrated into some sort of expat community and more than likely have found a woman. Then, you would still have a 1/4 of a million (that would have earned that interest) to 'play with'... and by that time, you'll be 50 ish... OK, you won't be abl to live out your days like a king, but you can have a very comfortable existence on that!

On the female front, I would tell myself that the first year here is celibacy time - one year of platonic relationships and language/cultural learning. really try hard not to get into a sexual relationship. After that one year (possibly very tough), you will be in a great position to know what to do about finding a life partner and where to maybe find such a lady (expat community, friends, neighbours etc.) In that year, you could have learned a decent portion of the language, made some good friends, and picked up some nice hobbies such as meditation and started doing other sports too.

As for the visa issue, there are ways around that, but living in a place near the border would be ideal.

IMO, provincial capitals to consider - Tak (near Mae sot border - Burma), Mae Hong Son, Chiang Rai, Nan (easy for Mae Sai - Burma), Surat Thani (not the islands), Prachuap Khiri Khan, Ranong (Ranon - Burma)... personally speaking, I would count out anywhere in Isaan (the north east part of the country) - I have found the place to be poor that foreigners can get leached pretty quickly... life is very harsh there, but as I say, that is purely my opinion and I mean no disrespect to anybody happily living there. People can be super friendly there, but... as I said, life is tough out there.

About your health, honestly, I have no clue about insurance etc. but I know a bit about the Hospitals here. Like the NHS, they are OK for minor things. There are good private places too, but that can be pricey. something to think about - Massages are dirt cheap, and maybe a thai massage a day will sort your back out? Hired help is also very cheap.

I would say it's all looking good for you... but maybe that's just me speaking. I am married to a local lady, we have a 5 month old boy, live in a house (no mortgage/rent)that cost no more than 30k GBP to build on 1/2 acre of land and I earn 30k THB per month teaching in the north of Thailand. For a perfect life, I would earn double that and so be able to save more etc, but the lack of stress and working hours are great for a new dad:-) I would love to have 250k GBP in the bank as a safety net!

All the best, feel free to PM if you want any more of my diatribe!

Cheers

Why is internet dating a no-no?? I did that before and I meet quite a lot of nice PROPER working girls from all over the country. Okay I got shafted once and meet up with this lady boy in Pattaya, LOL :D . I reported him, as you have to put in the right gender in your profile, but it was actually quite funny when I think back. Say what you want about internet dating but I had a jolly good time doing it when I was single.

If your prostate gets to the stage that you need an operation, would that not eliminate your desire for a wife?

If your answer is "yes," you have just saved a bundle.

A good wife provides much much more than sex. In any event read this:-i

http://www.pcf.org/site/c.leJRIROrEpH/b.5836625/k.75D7/Erectile_Dysfunction.htm

It is probably cheaper and safer in the long run to hire a live in lady. There are plenty of marketable 30 somethings about. You pay her a salary and her family is none of your business.

I've never consorted with anyone who needed a wife and very few that wanted one but they just seem to happen. I had a live in lady and after one year we got hitched. Since then I've enjoyed the best 9 years of my life - and so has she.

The first big hurdle is getting to stay in Thailand. Unless you can get over that, all else is wasted effort. You might give some thought to a return to the UK for a while. My ex has had a slight stroke leaving her left arm part functional. She gets a disability allowance on top of her State pension and a new car every two or three years (she lives in a village with little public transport).She cannot be means tested as her husband left her a fortune. Maybe worth investigating to see if your disabilities enable you to collect big time.

sidjameson,

I don't know about your prostate but there is a good chance that your "bad back" will be history while living in Thailand.

Why do you think you have to buy a house for you in GB ?

Buy a few flats and rent them all out to pensioners ( reliable tenants ), and allow yourself to stay in Thailand :) .

With your TEFL qualification, you could teach here as well.

Are your parents/other family still living in GB? Why not stay with them while there, doing your business ?

14 000 000 ฿ ? You do not sound like you made this serious wad of cash by yourself in the last 20 years, your inheritance ?

If you get yourself a Thai wife there is a good chance that those funds will depreciate quicker than u think

If you get the right Thai wife,she will understand that this is all you've got,and make sure that money dosen't get spent erratically,she may also offer to go to work to help.

PST.

If you get yourself a Thai wife there is a good chance that those funds will depreciate quicker than u think

If you get the right Thai wife,she will understand that this is all you've got,and make sure that money dosen't get spent erratically,she may also offer to go to work to help.

PST.

whoa, that is a big call :ermm:

Personally, i would be happy to pay a bit for someone like you describe, but as the others have already mentioned this is as rare as.....(insert choice of words)

Anyway, ive never met such a person and dont think i ever will, however one thing i will say is NEVER tell a thai girl how much you are really worth.

take the real figure, halve it and then divide whats left by four..and then halve that again,

you can tell them you have to live on this capital and have a small monthly income stream that gets sent to you periodically, if they stick around then ok

Edited by ozzieovaseas

PST.

This advice of NEVER letting them know your true worth. This will cause you problems for sure. I made the mistake of doing just that and has been used agains't me and been called stinky haha...because they just won't understand why you won't spend it all. Just do as the last OP said and cut in half and then half again depending on what your real worth is and even half again if it will let you live confortable!!.......always keep whatever you will need for YOUR future to make sure you are "ok" if something happens to not work out. This is the best advice to any falang marrying into a thai family. A little secret is worth your security later....good luck!!

Personally, i would be happy to pay a bit for someone like you describe, but as the others have already mentioned this is as rare as.....(insert choice of words)

Anyway, ive never met such a person and dont think i ever will, however one thing i will say is NEVER tell a thai girl how much you are really worth.

take the real figure, halve it and then divide whats left by four..and then halve that again,

you can tell them you have to live on this capital and have a small monthly income stream that gets sent to you periodically, if they stick around then ok

I'd become a monk at a nice temple here for a year or so and think about things and learn about emptiness.

Very cheap and I might learn that women in Thailand are generally bad, it's only an illusion that they're otherwise.

I'd buy a little condo somewhere on the coast and get a housekeeper. If the urges for sex have not been removed by my new life of meditation, I'd hire prostitutes on a daily basis.

It's amazing how many "stupid" ot "ignorant" people fool themselves into thinking they need a wife, or even worse kids to drain their funds.

Best answer so far, IMHO.

Buy a couple of flats in the UK and rent them out long term. Live on the proceeds somewhere warm and sunny with your new lady.

Hang on to them until the housing market and exchange rate are favourable then make yourself a mint.

Smile as your investment has not only paid for your easy life but grown substantially (and safely).

Least risk involved imo.

Well apart from the lady of course!! :D

Hmm, already the usual assertions that the foreign guy will be fleeced have been sprung.

It is interesting that some of the same posters who relentlessly imply that Thais are intellectually disadvantaged , whether politicians, bar girls, teachers, police, government spokespersons, whoever ... certainly when compared to themselves ... turn around and admit that any bar girl recently arrived from Isaan with a few years of primary school education can separate any farang from all his money like a dull-witted sheep is separated from its fleece.

I guess being innately omniscient has practical limitations.

I find this to be a very ignorant and offensive comment.

What, you think that all Thai women are thieves ?

My wife is a very honest, hard working and good with money person.

You have a very slanted and minuscule view.

PST.

This advice of NEVER letting them know your true worth. This will cause you problems for sure. I made the mistake of doing just that and has been used agains't me and been called stinky haha...because they just won't understand why you won't spend it all. Just do as the last OP said and cut in half and then half again depending on what your real worth is and even half again if it will let you live confortable!!.......always keep whatever you will need for YOUR future to make sure you are "ok" if something happens to not work out. This is the best advice to any falang marrying into a thai family. A little secret is worth your security later....good luck!!

So, you believe that living a lie is the correct path to walk ?

4) On the finding a wife, you obviously have experience but still take care. Nonetheless if your money is fixed in Singapore it is less likely to get sucked out of you, becasue you have to think before being able remove it from the bank.

You've pretty much nailed it with your entire post, however you raise a very good point above.

Get a professional wife with a good job and she can support you. :lol:

Of course, if you are 3 foot tall, 220kg's, no teeth and poor personal hygiene, then theres probably little chance of that happening.

4) On the finding a wife, you obviously have experience but still take care. Nonetheless if your money is fixed in Singapore it is less likely to get sucked out of you, becasue you have to think before being able remove it from the bank.

You've pretty much nailed it with your entire post, however you raise a very good point above.

Get a professional wife with a good job and she can support you. :lol:

Of course, if you are 3 foot tall, 220kg's, no teeth and poor personal hygiene, then theres probably little chance of that happening.

You seem to have done ok B)

Lots of good advice, and some funny stuff, from guys already living here.

I think you have to consider what is really the most important thing to you. Personally, I should say it's your health and trying to find some way to improve your condition - particularly your back - because, and lets be honest about this, if you feel like crap, it won't matter how much money you have or where you live.

If I can add my two cents worth:

You can get good health insurance here in Thailand through one of the local health Insurers or, as I have, through a bank such as the Siam Commercial Bank. I believe this to be a top priority for you as soon as you enter the country. As one of the other posters has already mentioned, you won't qualify for a retirement visa (at a minimum you'll need a one year visa to open a bank account and apply for a local driving license) so you'll need to go down the education route. If you make your main priority improving your health and medical condition then it stands to reason that you'll get more out of life. I've also got a back problem but through a combination of regular swimming sessions and yoga it's improved dramatically.

As far as the investment side of things go I'm a big fan of Robert Kiyosaki - investment should mainly be about creating cash flow. Your 290K GBP equates to a bit more than 13 million Thai Baht. You should use half of that to buy three medium priced condo's (2.5 million Baht) somewhere along the new BTS extension from On Nut. Everyone has their own theories but this is one that is a fact; rent is dead money, you aint getting it back. Own the condo you live in and you're saving money straight away. Buy one to live in and collect rent from the other two. You create cash flow to live off and even if you're only picking up 30 - 40K baht a month in rental income it's still good because you won't be paying any rent on the one you're living in. If you want more rental income then buy more condo's.

Be warned; do not piss about setting something up with your money because, as many of the other posters have alluded to, the greatest mechanism known to mankind, for reducing your wealth (Thai women), is waiting here for you.

Good luck