Micro-Breweries

Hi,

there was a post in the CM forum that was closed by admin as the OP was talking about his crop of home brew - it was closed because home brewing without a license is illegal here, so under the rules it was closed (discussing illegal activities etc).

The post was here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/427780-who-wants-to-brew/

However, one interesting point was brought up - Micro-Breweries. This page liss some Thai Micro-Breweries (some out of business I might add): http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/breweries/brewers-directory-0-196.htm

It got me wondering if it was possible to gain a small scale MB license as a farang (or even how difficult it would be in the Thai wife's name etc). Malt may not be easy to come by, but there are many other things that may be more viable - mead (honey beer), fruit/leaf wines, cider, perry, etc. All can be fairly easily made and alcohol levels controlled. There may be a small trade to European pubs here.

I certainly haven't decided on this as any kind of business model, I just thought of it as a kind of thought experiment into viability really - and possibly may be of intrest to anyone else that has brewed their own in countries where it is unlicensed/legal or looking for an alternative business idea for the Mrs (now the fish spa fad has passed).

Anyway, please keep this on the legal side - cheers.

I tried to go down this lane as well. It is very hard to get "clear" answers legally. I found out for instance, that for "spirits", the Singh Beer corporation, holds the major license in TL and is part owned by the GVT! They sub lease to CERTAIN people and companies. Take most major brands and if you dig deep enough, it will lead to Singh. The bottom line here is that for spirits - anything over 25% volume i think it is - it is impossible to get a license legally. Wines and beers though, are fairly simple to get - hence the rapid growth of wineries and vineyards owned by actors and other such public people - and one can do all of the paperwork themselves(if you can write in Thai)to get the license approved. It is not legal as such to brew your own(read distill) whiskey here, however a senior policeman I happen to know, told me that in practice, a spirit brewed by ourselves for self consumption, would generally recieve "a caution" unless there has been made a specific complaint, against which the BIB must - or at least should - act against. Like most of us here, I sure don't wont to get thrown out of TL for some minor thing like this. Having said that however, my main reason for wanting to "brew my own" is that I know I can still off a far superior brew, without the "methanol hang over" that is available in the shops. It was something we just did back home, kind of like growing your own spuds, but a lot more fun and satisfaction. Many people do it here in TL though, despite all the dangers, with imported(postal order packages) ingredients and equipment from back home. Seems the Thai customs don't have a problem with importing the means, just with the "stilling" part of it and consumption seems to be a bit naughty. Lets face it. How hard can it be, to make a superior product to "lao cow"!!!! With the new turbo yeast that is sold now, produced by a company called 'Alcotec' it takes just 3 to 4 days, to finish a 25 liter brew made from simply 25 liters water and 6 KGs of sugar. That's right. No other ingredients necessary. Still it off and flavour afterwards with any taste you wish. Packages of flavoring are sold from the "brew shops" back home too. Gin, Scotch, Vodka, the list is endless. Of course you could soon make up your own mix - and wouldn't it be fun trying? I worked it out, drawing on my previous experience back home and using local prices here, that I could produce 1 quality liter of 80% proof( the same as 'Sang Som" sold every where)for example, for 80 to 100 baht a bottle, depending on what taste you wanted. At my 23 year old step daughters birthday party 2 weeks ago, a certain person - who I won't name....simply added the common, sold everywhere but delicious fruit juice "Unif" using 3 different flavours to the 100% Macoy base, put it into old whiskey bottles to which had been attached self designed labels using my daughters name and some 'catchy' pictures'.It was an instant hit. Some of her "hi so" friends wanted to know where they could buy it! The juice cost more than the spirit for goodness sake! That is basically all that these "wine coolers" on sale are anyway. These figures don't include the cost of making a still of course. Apart from having a delicious low cost tipple, the hobby aspect of it all, really appeals to me too. If anyone does find a way to partake in this terrific hobby legally, please do PM me :rolleyes:

Edited by newtronbom

Great thread...not a lot of info on this topic anywhere. The rules here sound about the same as back in Canada...beer and wine ok, spirits not ok. I have brought over some Cooper's kits and agree that the home made stuff is much tastier and cleaner than the generic brands here. At first the guys in my village thought it was too bitter, but they came around and found a way to get it down. Federbrau from Tesco is a new discovery for me that tastes pretty good and contains only malt if we are to believe the reference to the Bavarian Purity Law on the back label. Also have been experimenting with sprinkling some sherry yeast into various Malee etc fruit juices that are preservative free. Not to bad so far with pomegranate juice.

I too have been thinking of the microbrew idea that is so popular in Canada and NW USA. If the previous poster has a link or place where an application can be obtained, this would be very helpful and appreciated. A falang started a cidery in Hua Hin and has it up and running. I can't think of the website but I'll have a look again for it.

The Hopf brewhouse in Pattaya has some decent, although a little too yeasty for my tastes, lagers and wheat beers. They go well with their pizza which has got to be some of the best pizza in Pattaya. Last time I was there, about 2 weeks ago, packed full with standing patrons waiting at the bar. This is not a small place, probably seats 150 patrons.

In general, it seems like the Thai market is moving up into gourmet coffees and wine, so if higher end beers were available you'd think there would be buyers.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Checked out the link but didn't see a lot of info on brewing in Thailand.

Oh well...is it too early to open a Cooper's Pilsner primed with nam peung?

Better than cold squid for breakfast.

Hey Sudyod, try the forum on there, that is where the info is...