Reliable Internet Connection In Aonang

simon43

I rent a house that is on Soi NaThai, about 4km from AoNang beachfront. We has ADSL installed by ToT about 1 year ago, (they installed a new cable since none existed to the house).

The internet connectivity totally sucks. I am not talking about bandwidth/speed of connection. The connection to 'the world' goes off and on every 5 minutes, usually dropping the connection for much longer than when connected. (I'm using my tethered iPhone to post this).

We have contacted ToT on numerous occasions, and they will sometimes even make the effort to get off their lazy backsides to come and visit us to do a test or two. Alas - it seems that the company is staffed by morons who are unable to resolve the problem. (I suspect that they already know that their infrastructure sucks, but do not want to tell us this).

I guess their sale of the service to us last year was based on false data/promises by them that they would actually provide an internet service to me...

So about 3 months ago, we visited the CAT office in Krabi and asked about installation of an internet service by them. The office manager arranged a site visit.... and no-one ever showed up!! We called them numerous times and my wife visited their office several times to request a new site visit. Every time, many apologies from the manager, and every time no-one could ever be bothered to visit our house to perform the site test.

I have to rely on using my iPhone to get an internet connection, but the speed is too low for more complex web-surfing.

Is there any internet service that is available in the AoNang area that will actually provide me with a decent internet service, both in terms of access speed and connectivity reliability?

I do not have a problem to pay a premium for provision of eg - fibre-optic connection. All I want is for these useless companies to actually provide the service that they claim to offer.

Rant over - any advice eagerly sought

Simon

No advice, but simply saying that the problem is not restricted to your area, but seems to occur all over the country.

I've phoned TOT and had their technicians out to my house so many times I've almost begun thinking of providing them accommodation.

Connection keeps dropping, I keep phoning and being told "It's in the process." If my payments were in the same process, they'd never see a single baht!

I doubt anything will be resolved until Thailand puts its money where its mouth is and actually opens itself up to international competition, and opens the closed shop. Of course, Thai companies would go bankrupt as people would discover just what decent service is, but then that's why despite calling Thailand an "IT Hub" (for what is Thailand not a hub, now?), the shop doors will remain closed to competition.

Hi Simon,

I also cannot provide you with the info you need, but do have a suggestion.

When I am in Ao Nang for work, I use the high speed internet shop that is on the beach road, well, not right on but their blue sign is and it's next door to O'Malleys.

Why don't you ask the proprietor there who he is using? Typically i never have drops there and the speed is good.

Best of luck, GOM