Coffee Heist Farangs Beware

Merlan

Well we Farangs do like good coffee.

BUT -- My friends and I first followed the lonely planets advice to go to

Lebernard Cafe. So keep in mind we wrent yet familiar w currency in Thailand.

We were charged 175 B per cup of coffee . One day 2nd day - actually our bill was over 900B for 2 pancakes 3 coffee.

No wonder we were the only dumb asses there!! It only takes us to make the whole day.

Ah live & learn as we do/ did. Needless to say went up by TaenPae gate to Sailomjoy and were charged honest price and food, coffee service was fab!

Just something to pass on that's er.

Newbies ! I smell something feeshy btw.... You know of thaivisa.com and then use LP as your dining guide ? Not here, or Yelp, or Trip Advisor ? Why's that ? And then you actually paid 900B on your pancakes and coffees or went n sorted it all out ? Me not khao jai !

QUOTE MERIAN :"Lebernard Cafe. So keep in mind we wrent yet familiar w currency in Thailand.

We were charged 175 B per cup of coffee . One day 2nd day - actually our bill was over 900B for 2 pancakes 3 coffee."

ASMEROM :

One day you were fleeced so you go back again to get completely shorn. Strange..... Something odd here though. I find it difficult to believe a charge of 175 baht. Lebernard is a long established coffee house. Sure it wasn't 75 baht? As you say, you are unfamiliar with the currency. Maybe the mistake is yours in some way.

The good news is, life here in Chiang Mai will only get better and better for you from here on out. A good cup of coffee here costs from 30-55 Baht depending on the district you find yourself in. Learn the currency conversions and read many of the posts here at ThaiVisa and you'll be a local in no time. Welcome to Chiang Mai.

Whatever the price at Lebernard Cafe (I went there once, years ago and thought it over rated) the OP is spot on with Sailomjoy which manages the almost impossible task of keeping a regular clientèle of both locals and farangs plus attracting many of the tourists brave enough to try something beyond the Starbucks wannabe next door. The coffee really is good, although if you buy beans to take out you'll find it's not much of a bargain - better go to Hillkoff.

Both on my Map of Useful Places.

I wouldn't ever trust the Lonely Planet after going to a good value for money guesthouse in Chiang Saen that the LP wrote up as 'go there only if everywhere else is full' - the owner was surprised to see me walking in there carrying the book. (more than 5 years ago though)

I have been there 100s of times over many years and have never been overcharged. Could the original owner have sold it or is there some kind of mistake? :blink:

well it all sounds kinda strange to me.

Care to share with us the price you pay.

We have one poster claiming 175 baht is overcharging.

And another saying he has never been overcharged. Did he pay 175 baht?

Overcharged means different things to different folks to me over charging would be 10 baht.:D

Newbies ! I smell something feeshy btw.... You know of thaivisa.com and then use LP as your dining guide ? Not here, or Yelp, or Trip Advisor ? Why's that ? And then you actually paid 900B on your pancakes and coffees or went n sorted it all out ? Me not khao jai !

You know I really appreciate that some of the users in this forum reply and have a bit of humility and oneness with others pitfalls.

The reason I didn't post before was because some wise guy has to have some conspiracy theory --- Please ? Somepeople have lives !!!!

--- or holier than thou attitude and questions you in a less than respectful way. Creepy .

Thanks for showing us who you are .

Will keep that in mind before ( if )... I post again.

Hey Merlan, if you're legitimate, fine, I apologize. But your original post sounds very suspicious and we see all kinds of crazy things here quite often Honestly I am a reasonable and helpful poster if you check out my other posts. In fact, if you read around what might have offended you I have listed 3 better places to find eating and drinking recommendations. Ones that locals or those in the know would use. I too used LP when I was new here, and back then TV was a fledgling and the internet had scant information on where to eat. LP was the bible still in 2003. Since then it's been replaced by many things better.

So anyway,... I've never been to this place, and confused or not.... you didn't save a receipt to go back and talk to a manager later ? I really can't imagine 900 B, the price of 30 street-food meals spent on some light pancakes and a few coffees ? How did you not take action ? Are you overly polite ? Many owners here will take care of mistakes after the fact if you go back to reconcile with them privately. Maybe you ought to try that.

(For those that might dislike my street-food comparison, ok, dinner for 2 at Chez Marco or Old Bell plus a drink.)

love the topic coffee HEIST . can't help laughing as i read , pardon me for being Rude or Blunt .

Guys ,

Overcharge is When you Pay 60 - 90 baht for a Small bottle of Beer when a Large Bottle is only 35- 39b

If you look at the Ratio i just give you . Paying 175b for cup of Coffee which cost 30- 50baht , you really just got Pick pockted only .

and to only get Picked Twice like you said . you are still in the Sanity radius .

--

Let rewind a little here , and look at Coffee . a Great cup of Coffee i would said . would be something that your store the Bean for like 5- 10 years .

but the idea of fresh coffee come into play . and marketing spin . , personally i seldom drink coffee cos the coffee i had so far is not really that good around .

the best Cup of fresh coffee i ever got in chiangmai . is when i ride up beyond Doi Pui . up to Chang keng depe inside the suthep mountian , there hide a small coffee Farm .

i still recall waking up in the morning having the great smeel off roasted coffee bean , and then a cup of hot coffee from the farm owner wife .

there growing something call the white coffee with a different process of removing the Husk from the bean . that cost me 10b .

anyway .

THEN AGAIN . look at it this way . there is a sucker in everyone of us . is how we balance or check if we our sanity is still intact

You know I really appreciate that some of the users in this forum reply and have a bit of humility and oneness with others pitfalls.

The reason I didn't post before was because some wise guy has to have some conspiracy theory --- Please ? Somepeople have lives !!!!

--- or holier than thou attitude and questions you in a less than respectful way. Creepy .

Thanks for showing us who you are .

Will keep that in mind before ( if )... I post again.

Sadly this is the usual response from many TV members to "newbies" and many do not even bother to come back.

Still some good guys and good info here, the rest take with a pinch of salt or use the ignore button.

Me, for my sins I like the Cappuccino at McCoffee Airport Plaza, 70฿ for a large cup-I think?

Sorry, but the OP is full of it; no need for anyone to apologize. Prices are clearly marked. If there is a mistake (getting someone elses bill, etc) then speak the fuc_k up, don't whine on an online forum about your inability to communicate.

[/quote

I can communicate very well actually. We were new here and as stated new to this currency. Wasnt until days later we realized this

I heat swearing is a word used when you don't know HOW to express yourself.

Again another happy farang, thanks for your happiness:)

Why have a forum if you can't have some expression and fun without the forum police writing you up?

Enough said.

love the topic coffee HEIST . can't help laughing as i read , pardon me for being Rude or Blunt .

Guys ,

Overcharge is When you Pay 60 - 90 baht for a Small bottle of Beer when a Large Bottle is only 35- 39b

If you look at the Ratio i just give you . Paying 175b for cup of Coffee which cost 30- 50baht , you really just got Pick pockted only .

and to only get Picked Twice like you said . you are still in the Sanity radius .

--

Let rewind a little here , and look at Coffee . a Great cup of Coffee i would said . would be something that your store the Bean for like 5- 10 years .

but the idea of fresh coffee come into play . and marketing spin . , personally i seldom drink coffee cos the coffee i had so far is not really that good around .

the best Cup of fresh coffee i ever got in chiangmai . is when i ride up beyond Doi Pui . up to Chang keng depe inside the suthep mountian , there hide a small coffee Farm .

i still recall waking up in the morning having the great smeel off roasted coffee bean , and then a cup of hot coffee from the farm owner wife .

there growing something call the white coffee with a different process of removing the Husk from the bean . that cost me 10b .

anyway .

THEN AGAIN . look at it this way . there is a sucker in everyone of us . is how we balance or check if we our sanity is still intact

Thank you for having some fun and being someone who gets that it was just an experience, not a personal insult.

Why are their sooo many negative folks on this forum?

I really enjoyed you sharing about the coffee you experienced w the farmers wife. That's awesome and the reason why I love traveling...that's what the good stuff is all about.

And at the end of the day, I experience many different things as I travel for a living. Tx again!!

Thank you for having some fun and being someone who gets that it was just an experience, not a personal insult.

Why are their sooo many negative folks on this forum?

I really enjoyed you sharing about the coffee you experienced w the farmers wife. That's awesome and the reason why I love traveling...that's what the good stuff is all about.

And at the end of the day, I experience many different things as I travel for a living. Tx again!!

That is a complex question and the answers are perhaps many.

The good news is that if you can develop thick skin then TV CM is a great resource for learning about and implementing life here. I know more about a lot of things in CM than some of my Thai friends. No joke.

The main reasons people are cranky here on this forum?

Older retired expats == In many or most causes as the body becomes stiff and old then so does the mind and spirit.

Ego - Someone decides to live here longterm and if someone else has something unflattering to say then it's an attack on their decision and ego. Must protect ego at all costs!!!

Compliance - Thai culture is about saving face and preserving appearances and like the other indigenous folks they have learned to suck up to the establishment. "Love it or leave it"

Internet anonymity --- people like to jump on other people and win little battles because ..... just because I suppose.

Those are my observations. Learn to live with the sometimes passive aggressive elements and TV CM is great. Hopefully you can volunteer and receive info in a constructive fashion and tune out the rest ;-)

You were charged 175 Baht for coffee and didn't know the exchange rate.

Presumably after you left you found a way to do the math and realised that 175 Baht is almost $6 US.

So based on that knowledge you happily trundled back in the next day for more coffee? huh.gif

Edited by uptheos

Presumably after you left you found a way to do the math and realised that 175 Baht is almost $6 US.

So based on that knowledge you happily trundled back in the next day for more coffee? huh.gif

Maybe he thought here was like New York prices and just went along with it.:ermm:

Edited by ThaiWx

Not only that, he probably had dinner and spent the night in a hotel or guest house before he went back for the second 175 baht cup of coffee the next day.

The OP doesn't have a clue about the exchange rate, but he knows "farang".

I agree with those who think something is fishy.

There is more going on here than the OP has told us.

Maybe he thought here was like New York prices and just went along with it.:ermm:

I don't know anyone who travels to the other side of the world without having some idea of the prices.

I hope no one who is critical has ever lost 900 baht or more to hindsight-visible financial misfortunes in Thailand, because I have yet to meet many people who have avoided that.

If anyone has lost 900 baht I think you are fortunate because you will probably use the experience to avoid a greater loss later on. Life isn't as straightforward here as where we came from, but it's worth it, and then you can become a knowitall like us.