Will My Jailbroken Ipad / Iphone4 4.2.1 Work In Thailand?

DudeNo1

You will have no problems using your iPad or iPhone 4 in Thailand. Just buy a SIM and have it cut to micro-size. Keep in mind though, currently only True offers 3G in certain areas. I think ToT offers 3G as well but I'm ignorant on this.

Good luck.

You will have no problems using your iPad or iPhone 4 in Thailand. Just buy a SIM and have it cut to micro-size. Keep in mind though, currently only True offers 3G in certain areas. I think ToT offers 3G as well but I'm ignorant on this.

Good luck.

Thanks, which areas does True offer 3G in and where do you get their sim card and have it cut?

Also, are you sure it works with 4.2.1 - I heard that specifically this latest iOS version has issues with "unofficial carriers" - is True an official carrier? Can someone here confirm that they're using 4.2.1 ok (and if it's jailbroken)?

Good luck.

Thanks, which areas does True offer 3G in and where do you get their sim card and have it cut?

Also, are you sure it works with 4.2.1 - I heard that specifically this latest iOS version has issues with "unofficial carriers" - is True an official carrier? Can someone here confirm that they're using 4.2.1 ok (and if it's jailbroken)?

True officially offers 3g in Bangkok, Phuket, Chiangmai and Pattaya. Here you have a map of the coverage http://www.truemove....-3-phu-ket.html

There is no need to cut the sim, All carriers now offer the micro sim.

The issues with "unofficial carriers" on 4.2.1 you are referring to are related to the unlocking not the jailbreaking.

If we are talking about an Ipad you will be certainly able to use it here in Thailand with any carrier as it is sold "factory unlocked" worldwide.

Instead If we are talking about an Iphone you will be able to use it here only if is factory or software unlocked.

In some countries the Iphones are sold factory unlocked (ie. Thailand) in other are locked to a carrier (ie USA)

If your Iphone is locked to a specific carrier and is running the 4.2.1 FW then you will not be able to use it in Thailand at the moment.

I'm using AIS EDGE on my factory unlocked iPhone 3GS with only a billing issue (going to start a new thread on that).

Basically, I popped in the sim when I got here and it said TH GSM at the top. The phone worked, I could place and receive calls and SMS and use the Internet. Then I hooked it up to iTunes and it updated the carrier settings, now it says AIS at the top. And it now lets me tether the phone to my laptop (it didn't let me before).

Frankly, I don't see the need for 3G, unless of course if I'm tethering. EDGE is more than enough for Google Maps and the limited browsing I do on the phone. I seem to always get a consistent 200-240Kbps, which really isn't bad.

Good luck.

True officially offers 3g in Bangkok, Phuket, Chiangmai and Pattaya. Here you have a map of the coverage http://www.truemove....-3-phu-ket.html

The issues with "unofficial carriers" on 4.2.1 you are referring to are related to the unlocking not the jailbreaking.

If we are talking about an Ipad you will be certainly able to use it here in Thailand with any carrier as it is sold "factory unlocked" worldwide.

Instead If we are talking about an Iphone you will be able to use it here only if is factory or software unlocked.

In some countries the Iphones are sold factory unlocked (ie. Thailand) in other are locked to a carrier (ie USA)

If your Iphone is locked to a specific carrier and is running the 4.2.1 FW then you will not be able to use it in Thailand at the moment.

My iPhone is jailbroken, so does that automatically make it unlocked - I thought it does? If not, what do I do to unlock it? Thanks.

Good luck.

My iPhone is jailbroken, so does that automatically make it unlocked - I thought it does? If not, what do I do to unlock it? Thanks.

No the jailbreak and the unlock are two different things. At the moment is possible to jailbreak an Iphone 4 running the 4.2.1 FW but is impossible to unlock it if you didn't follow specific procedures before to update it.

Where did you buy your Iphone? Is it actually working with all the carriers?

You say that your Iphone 4 is jailbroken and running the 4.2.1 firmware, do you need to plug the usb cable in a computer to boot it up in case your battery runs out?

Jailbreaking and unlocking are two very different things. A jailbroken phone allows unauthorised applications to be used on the phone, it does not allow unauthorised carriers to work. You should be able to unlock 4.2.1 if you have an Iphone 3g or 3gs. Please do a google search for " unlock 4.2.1" and you will find step by step instructions. At this stage an Iphone 4 running 4.2.1 can not be unlocked as it uses a different baseband. An unlock should be available in the next month or so.

OP, you can unlock by flashing the 06.15.00 baseband (assuming you have a 3G or 3GS as mentioned above - you haven't mentioned what the phone model is or even where you're from - your phone may already be unlocked). Do your homework before you attempt this. There are potential complications and an immediate downside.

Edit: Sorry, totally missed the hint in the title of the thread. You have an iPhone 4. You can't unlock (as I said, you may be unlocked already, where did you buy the phone?).

Edited by MKAsok

Dammit, I always thought I unlocked it by jailbreaking. It's an iPhone 4 and was purchased in Canada and it's currently running iOS 4.1. Is there anything at all I can do to unlock it at this point?

Worst case I could get a replacement from the store (I'm still within 30 days), but will I be able to unlock it? Thanks guys.

Edited by DudeNo1

What's the Model number and baseband of the phone? (look in settings/general/about, to find the baseband look at 'modem firmware.')

Model: MC603C

Modem Firmware: 02.10.04

Thanks again, I'm really looking forward to your reply because I can't leave until this is sorted out - I literally check this thread every few hours! :D

Edited by DudeNo1

That IS great news, but are you sure mate, cuz if you're wrong (not saying you are) I'm gonna be royally screwed when I land. Cuz I did buy it from the cell phone provider - why would they sell an unlocked phone? Thanks, pls let me know if there's some way to confirm 200% cuz I need this for work, and if something goes wrong my colleagues will lynch me. :D

Edited by DudeNo1

I'm as sure as I can be dude. Many networks sell factory unlocked phones. Your model number was taken off a list on the Apple site. It's a 16GB black right, bought in Canada? If I'm wrong, you're screwed anyway because you can't unlock that baseband, so you don't have much to lose by trying it. By the way, if you're on 4.1, stay on 4.1.There's absolutely no reason to update the firmware to 4.2.1 and if you do, your jailbreak (should you chose to jailbreak) will be tethered. You don't want this. I assume you haven't saved your 4.1 SHSH either, so there's no way back for you to 4.1

Edited by MKAsok

That IS great news, but are you sure mate, cuz if you're wrong (not saying you are) I'm gonna be royally screwed when I land. Cuz I did buy it from the cell phone provider - why would they sell an unlocked phone? Thanks, pls let me know if there's some way to confirm 200% cuz I need this for work, and if something goes wrong my colleagues will lynch me. :D

Well, why you do not simply call you carrier and ask them?

Edited by GmB

I'm as sure as I can be dude. Many networks sell factory unlocked phones. Your model number was taken off a list on the Apple site. It's a 16GB black right, bought in Canada? If I'm wrong, you're screwed anyway because you can't unlock that baseband, so you don't have much to lose by trying it. By the way, if you're on 4.1, stay on 4.1.There's absolutely no reason to update the firmware to 4.2.1 and if you do, your jailbreak (should you chose to jailbreak) will be tethered. You don't want this. I assume you haven't saved your 4.1 SHSH either, so there's no way back for you to 4.1

Yep, you're correct. Can I see the list though? If I find out ahead of time that it won't work, I'll give this phone to my little brother as a gift (it's basically new and I'm about to buy him an exact same one) and get another one before going. :) Thanks again for your advice with this, as well as (not) upgrading.

Well, why you do not simply call you carrier and ask them?

Think they'll tell me? Guess I'll have to try, but I have a feeling they're gonna say they don't know and for me to pay them $200/mo for a roaming package. :D

Edited by DudeNo1

Yep, you're correct. Can I see the list though? If I find out ahead of time that it won't work, I'll give this phone to my little brother as a gift (it's basically new and I'm about to buy him an exact same one) and get another one before going. :) Thanks again for your advice with this, as well as (not) upgrading.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2566454&tstart=199

http://discussions.a...6454&tstart=199

Looks good, thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...

So did your iPhone wind up working okay? If you have a factory-unlocked phone as mentioned, then you're doing fine, right?

I have the iPhone4, running the same software version 4.1 as you, and the same firmware, 02.10.04. I don't have a factory unlock, though. My phone is locked to a carrier in Japan (SoftBank).

Sadly, my iPhone can't be unlocked from its provider, because as of right now, there is no unlock for firmware 02.10.04. Just gotta wait around for another month or so until someone figures out how to unlock it.

Anyway, please post news of your success using the phone after you arrived.

Unfortunately neither mine nor my gf's iPhone4's seem to work: we tried sim cards from TRUE to no avail, and were told at a mall booth that unlocks cell phones that it'll be another week until they're able to unlock ours.

Can someone please confirm whether either of these can be unlocked now, and if so how, or if not then when? Thanks!

Mine:

4.1 (8B117)

Hers:

4.2.1 (8C148)

It's weird your phone doesn't work if it is that model. Everything on the net suggests that model is definitely factory unlocked. See here for example (as well as the list you've already seen on the Apple website).

Anyway, assuming it's somehow locked, the latest news from the Dev Team is that there will be no unlock until after 4.2.5 or official 4.3 is released. So you're probably looking at March realistically.

You've got the firmware that can't be unlocked. I've got the same. You can jailbreak 02.10.04, but not unlock it. There is someone claiming the software limesn0w will unlock the phone, but it's a scam.

As of now, 02.10.04 can't be unlocked. Just as you mentioned, the legendary Dev Team says that they're waiting for the next software release before they release the unlock. Since November 2010, people have been saying "any day now." Hopefully soon, it sucks that I have this fancy iPhone but I can't use it.

To Dude: It sounds like your phone isn't unlocked. You might have the same firmware version problem we do. Check your firmware. There are directions on how to do this all over the net.

I think you're a bit confused:

You've got the firmware that can't be unlocked.

There's no problem with my phone. It is factory unlocked. The problem is with the OP's phone.

I've got the same. You can jailbreak 02.10.04, but not unlock it. There is someone claiming the software limesn0w will unlock the phone, but it's a scam.

You're confusing firmware with baseband. Jailbreak applies to firmware. Unlock applies to baseband.