Looking For Vinyl Records In Chiang Mai

stift

Hi, I will be visiting Thailand once again for the 4th time from 31-12-11 till

28-01-11 .

i am an avid fan and collector of records,

i hope, next to the regular backpackdeluxe-tour, to do

some searchin'and hopefully finding. I know lots of mainly 7'singles/e.p.'s have been produced way back,

Who can help me out??

Who knows where I might have a chance to find/ come across them in Chiang Mai, which I'll be visiting for the first time.

Maybe there are some real flea/ 2nd hand market, not the regular sat./sunday-ones ?

Thanxalot in advance

and sincere regards

Sjaak / Jack

If you are serious about buying vinyl records (classical, jazz, pop, rock, etc.) then you need access to a large inventory. For this you need to go to Bangkok. There are some very good stores there with huge inventories, all tested and cataloged. You won't find that in Chiang Mai.

hey everyone,

thanksalot for all fast replies

will be helpful in the quest, I bet.

and yes BK might be the place but I tend to think I know my way around there recordwise by now a little.

Shops are a dyin' breed and since i am a collector / fan of mainly thai-produced vinyl of western artists (way back)

these days i also have to take into account the omnious presence of hustlers for the internetwise dealers all over town.

Hence the challenge !

Anyway it takes youto funny places and people from time to time.

regards

Jack

the biggest flea market i know of in chiang mai is the one cm das it talking about in the other link

its on saturday and sundays about 9 am to about 3 or 4 when people seem to start packing up

ive seen boxes of old records there now and again

turn left at prince royals college and your there

good luck ... dave2

ps .. two sois are sealed off to traffic ..... park before it and walk there

Edited by dave2

the biggest flea market i know of in chiang mai is the one cm das it talking about in the other link

its on saturday and sundays about 9 am to about 3 or 4 when people seem to start packing up

ive seen boxes of old records there now and again

turn left at prince royals college and your there

good luck ... dave2

ps .. two sois are sealed off to traffic ..... park before it and walk there

Sorry Dave2, I think it's one more soi north if I'm not mistaken. You're right, a great place to check. Forgot about that place.

post-114070-0-24533200-1293543215_thumb.

thai wx.

re ... Sorry Dave2, I think it's one more soi north if I'm not mistaken.

you are mistaken ... on my map the sat / sun flea market starts in the soi opposite the soi where the british consulate is .. fact ... 100 % guarranteed !

prove me wrong and ill buy you a beer : ) ...dave2

thai wx.

re ... Sorry Dave2, I think it's one more soi north if I'm not mistaken.

you are mistaken ... on my map the sat / sun flea market starts in the soi opposite the soi where the british consulate is .. fact ... 100 % guarranteed !

prove me wrong and ill buy you a beer : ) ...dave2

my sincerest apologies!! I see now that we're talking about opposite sides of the same market! It's so big that it covers that much area, from the soi you describe out to the other end I described were it "t's" out onto Ratana Kosin Rd.

(does this mean you'll still buy me a beer?):rolleyes:

post-114070-0-14948100-1293582189_thumb.

Edited by ThaiWx

thaiwx

re ... (does this mean you'll still buy me a beer?):rolleyes:

as we were both right yeah why not ... but i never drink before 9 pm

if your allowed out after that ? : ) .... pm me with a bar name around loi kroh road the day and the time

dave2

ps .. please dont say butterfly bar ... the second question the girls ask you in there is ... you buy me drink ? :(

There is a small shopping center opposite the Tamarind Village Hotel on the walking street. On the outside of the center you can see Girasole Restaurant and Wawee Coffee. On the inside there is a small shop that sells old vinyl records......good luck!

thank you Sansai Sam,

will check this one definitely !

regards

Sjaak

@Sansai Sam

If you talk about my friends "D´Minor" shop, which also sold antiques, coffee and wine,

this place is sadly closed earlier this year. They had mainly Lp´s and about 200 to 300 7 inches.

They think about to re-open somewhere else, but this will for sure not happen in the next few month :(

@Sansai Sam

If you talk about my friends "D´Minor" shop, which also sold antiques, coffee and wine,

this place is sadly closed earlier this year. They had mainly Lp´s and about 200 to 300 7 inches.

They think about to re-open somewhere else, but this will for sure not happen in the next few month :(

Well, thank you Siamod for possible update;

see if i can track them (as the '' they '' in your sentence) then

in some lucky manor.

regards

Jack

• 2 weeks later...

hi everyone,

Thanxalot for all leads,

I am now in CM and have found records at all places mentioned,

the one more fruitful than the other of course.

Thanx again,

and if ever new information on records and their location will show up, well ... don't hesitate...

Grateful :rolleyes: Jack