Bangkok Bank Internet Banking And Credit Card

I have been a account holder of Bangkok Bank for the past 12 months and have been happy mostly with their service. I tried about 6 months ago to get access to internet banking and was told to wait and they would send me the password etc so I can use it. I already met their qualifying criteria in having a non - imm O visa.

Now 6 months have passed and I decided while in Bangkok to ask at a branch where the customer service people have better understanding of english than at my local branch. I was told in no uncertain terms that I cannot have internet banking facilities unless I have a work permit. I went blue in the face explaining that this was not necessary when I first applied but to no avail.

So I gave up on that one and asked to apply for a credit card to do a few transaction over the internet by credit card. Same story. Need a work permit. By this stage I was a bit agro and do keep the peace I walked out of the branch muttering things under my breath.

Got home today and checked the Bangkok bank website and lo and behold you do need a work permit OR a certificate of residence.

My question, finally, is what constitutes a certificate of residence. Is it the same stat dec that I made at the embassy and got translated prior to my wedding or is it something completely different.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Maybe George misunderstood the question..... :D

The certificate you need to get is a the one from the local imigration office...stating exactly where you live in Thailand ie: your home address..

Getting permanent residence is a bit more difficult. :D

Or so I'm told, as I haven't tried to get either document myself :o

I believe all he needs is a certificate of residence as can be issued by immigration after you have lived here 90 days rather than PR.  But have never tried so not sure.

Thanks Lopburi,

I will try that one. I will be in Ubon on friday and get it checked out.

Thanks to all the other posters for their input. Muchly appreciated

Sezzo

I had to get a certificate of residence a month or so ago. The form is obtained from immigration but that' s about it! You get your landlord/landlady to fill in the form confirming that you live/have lived at the address for x months/years. Immigration don't even stamp the form much to my surprise!

I have been a account holder of Bangkok Bank for the past 12 months and have been happy mostly with their service.  I tried about 6 months ago to get access to internet banking and was told to wait and they would send me the password etc so I can use it.  I already met their qualifying criteria in having a non - imm O visa.

Now 6 months have passed and I decided while in Bangkok to ask at a branch where the customer service people have better understanding of english than at my local branch.  I was told in no uncertain terms that I cannot have internet banking facilities unless I have a work permit.  I went blue in the face explaining that this was not necessary when I first applied but to no avail.

So I gave up on that one and asked to apply for a credit card to do a few transaction over the internet by credit card.  Same story.  Need a work permit.  By this stage I was a bit agro and do keep the peace I walked out of the branch muttering things under my breath.

Got home today and checked the Bangkok bank website and lo and behold you do need a work permit OR a certificate of residence.

My question, finally, is what constitutes a certificate of residence.  Is it the same stat dec that I made at the embassy and got translated prior to my wedding or is it something completely different.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

:o

I have a Bangkok Bank account. i have never tried this trick but here is something to try. I have a JOINT account with my Thai girlfriend. The internet does say to get internet privaleges for a FARANG (i.e password) you must be a resident in Thailand. However, that is not required of a THAI. In short a Thai can get internet access and a password to access their account.

So here's the deal. I do not actually know if this will work. However, if you have a JOINT account have your Thai partner apply for the internet access and get a password. Then get the password from him/her. I know you can log into the account from overseas (I've done it). Of course without the password you can't access the details of your joint account. At least in theory using the Thai partner's password should allow you access to the account.

As I said I have never actually done this. Of course I would never do such a thing unless I had a secured connection. Especially from overseas.

I don't see why this would be illegal. I wouldn't mention it to Bangkok Bank, however.

:D

Not sure that one would work!

Normally they won't even give atm cards on a joint-account!

That it total nonsense.

Got to agree with "lop" on that one. I have a joint account with my wife at Bangkok Bank in Korat. We both have ATM cards and we have internet access. Got this all set up a few weeks ago. We both had to fill out some Application forms at the local Bank and that was it. No work permit (I don't work) and no Residence certificate needed. I'm on an "marriage extension" of my O visa. :o

Intersting stories:

I have a (joined with my thai wife) Bangkok bank account, got ATM/Visa (works international!!) card immediately,

applied for internet banking, I cannot get it without work permit, but my wife can - we applied!

after 4 weeks bank called us to come sign a new form - wa the same form we signed initially, but I had to sign too!

two weeks later, bank called, she cannot have it, (as it is a joined account), when I don't have a work permit

but if I open another account only in her name, she can get it immediately - top question? who is then using it??!

AMAZING THAILAND!!

will try residence certificate first from Immi, or even residence certificate from embassy, translated and certified by ministery of foreign affairs, this was good enough to register the car in my name

Not sure that one would work!

Normally they won't even give atm cards on a joint-account!

That it total nonsense.

Got to agree with "lop" on that one. I have a joint account with my wife at Bangkok Bank in Korat. We both have ATM cards and we have internet access. Got this all set up a few weeks ago. We both had to fill out some Application forms at the local Bank and that was it. No work permit (I don't work) and no Residence certificate needed. I'm on an "marriage extension" of my O visa. :o

I'm one more with exactly the same experience (well...not the part about living in Korat, thank Christ) so it is pretty clear that the problem can be solved this way.