Gbp Vs Thb ... Worst Echange For Over 10 Years

FWIW i have been negative on my home currency (sterling) for several years , more or less ever since it went through 1.90 to the USD, For the first time for a long while i am feeling that i would be happier with more of my assets in pounds.For the fist time in years i am selling baht and buying pounds.

Edited by wordchild

I was living in Thailand when British PM John Major devalued the pound. Having all my savings and investments in the UK I suffered a terrible loss of 35%. The UK pound and the US$ are the most unreliable currencies. Fortunately I put my saving into A$ some years back.

The best investment to-day is A$ bonds and A$ gold shares

Go, Go, AUD!

The exchange rate does that since USA and GB go downhill while Thai improves. AU however improves at a similar rate to Thai.

Go, Go, AUD!

I am liking the awesome AUD to Baht, but the AUD to USD is hurting me a bit.

I guess you weren't here in 2008, when in 3 months from July thru Oct, AUD declined nearly 30% against THB.

Hopefully by tonight I will have completed 11 years of GBP/THB exchange rates and slung the whole lot together on one graph for the monthly average from 2000 until 2010.

There is also a yearly graph on a 5 day (Monday to Friday) for each year and if I am lucky I will post the whole lot or perhaps a link on this thread tomorrow.

If not it will be New Years Day.

Look at it and weep.

I was living in Thailand when British PM John Major devalued the pound. Having all my savings and investments in the UK I suffered a terrible loss of 35%. The UK pound and the US$ are the most unreliable currencies. Fortunately I put my saving into A$ some years back.

the culprit was George Soros not John Major.

"When George Soros placed a $10 billion speculative bet against the U.K. pound and won, he became universally known as "the man who broke the Bank of England." Whether you love him or hate him, Soros led the charge in one of the most fascinating events in currency trading history."

http://olesiafx.com/Kathy-Lien-Day-Trading-The-Currency-Market/George-Soros-the-Man-Who-Broke-The-Bank-Of-England.html

"When George Soros placed a $10 billion speculative bet against the U.K. pound and won, he became universally known as "the man who broke the Bank of England." Whether you love him or hate him, Soros led the charge in one of the most fascinating events in currency trading history."

http://olesiafx.com/...Of-England.html

and he probably also saved the UK from the even worse recession that it would certainly have endured had it stayed in the ERM at that time. He also helped ensure that the UK stayed out of the Euro project , for which we all ( Brits and the Euro members) should be eternaly grateful. The guy should have got a knighthood!

Edited by wordchild

I reckon it will goes as low as 32/34

Not quite as sophisticated as the answers found in the "Jobs, economy, banking, business, investments" sub-forum.

Maybe not quite as sophisticated, but I am happy to go with it as a benchmark for the next year.

Edited by stander

Australian dollar hits 28-year high :clap2:

THE dollar was higher at noon after hitting a post float high on the back of stronger commodity prices.

The currency retreated from its post float high against the British pound and its record high against the euro.

At 12pm (AEDT), the local unit was trading at 101.89 US cents, up from 101.14 cents yesterday.

In morning trade the dollar hit a high of 101.95 cents, a record since the currency was floated in December 1983. It last reached this level in 1982. Since 7am (AEDT) today its lowest level was 101.72 US cents.

Nomura Australia chief economist Stephen Roberts said the local unit has been strong over the holiday period.

"The Australian dollar currently is very close to 102 US cents and it has gone through the recent post-float high we saw in November.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/business/australian-dollar/australian-dollar-hits-28-year-high/story-fn6t6wad-1225978700479#ixzz19aLSAwxF

Australian dollar hits 28-year high :clap2:

THE dollar was higher at noon after hitting a post float high on the back of stronger commodity prices.

The currency retreated from its post float high against the British pound and its record high against the euro.

At 12pm (AEDT), the local unit was trading at 101.89 US cents, up from 101.14 cents yesterday.

In morning trade the dollar hit a high of 101.95 cents, a record since the currency was floated in December 1983. It last reached this level in 1982. Since 7am (AEDT) today its lowest level was 101.72 US cents.

Nomura Australia chief economist Stephen Roberts said the local unit has been strong over the holiday period.

"The Australian dollar currently is very close to 102 US cents and it has gone through the recent post-float high we saw in November.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/business/australian-dollar/australian-dollar-hits-28-year-high/story-fn6t6wad-1225978700479#ixzz19aLSAwxF

Last time I checked we're in Thailand and the AUD has certainly not recorded a record high against the Baht. It may have done well against the USD and GBP, but that has little to do with this thread.

http://olesiafx.com/...Of-England.html

and he probably also saved the UK from the even worse recession that it would certainly have endured had it stayed in the ERM at that time. He also helped ensure that the UK stayed out of the Euro project , for which we all ( Brits and the Euro members) should be eternaly grateful. The guy should have got a knighthood!

Yeah right, he should of been put on trial for sedition after enacting knee-jerk gun control and disarmed all legal pistol owners because of a scottish paedophile.

He couldn't even do that right as the tory's still lost the 1997 election anyhow. :angry:

What is down, must one day come up. At least that is what I thought until I looked at the changing demographic of the people dictating the growth of the English Economy. The social policy of the UK has ruined its economic outlook, it could not be said more plainly than that.

Many rich Brits have now left to places like Australia, New Zealand, and the USA.

Unlike the USA, which is also multicultural, the UK is multiculturally imbalanced and lets the voices of minorities overpower the voice of the majority. So sad, that my ancestors have given up their homeland to large groups of vocal ethnic groups who now seem to dominate England.

GB£ 1.00 = THB 46.715 today.

What do we expect for 2011? Will it possibly go as low as 40 at some point. UK's doing pretty bad all round with regard to low or negative housing growth, consumer spending down and low GDP figures when compared to SE/asian economies. I could be wrong but I see the baht getting stronger yet over next 12 months or beyond.

GB£ 1.00 = THB 46.715 today.

What do we expect for 2011? Will it possibly go as low as 40 at some point. UK's doing pretty bad all round with regard to low or negative housing growth, consumer spending down and low GDP figures when compared to SE/asian economies. I could be wrong but I see the baht getting stronger yet over next 12 months or beyond.

I am expecting recession in China and possibly also India due to inflation and overheated housing markets in tier 1 cities in China and Hong Kong.

If this happens, those markets made like porcelin towers will fall back to where they were pre-lehman, and pre-european debt crisis.

The world markets are cyclical, and very rarely ever diverge. This is how people like Warren Buffet make their money. It is 80% understanding and interpretation of the cycles, and 20% luck. China is next in line for recession as it is next in the food chain.

I am expecting recession in China and possibly also India due to inflation and overheated housing markets in tier 1 cities in China and Hong Kong.

If this happens, those markets made like porcelin towers will fall back to where they were pre-lehman, and pre-european debt crisis.

you mean China and India will boom even more than today? because that was the case pre-Lehman and pre-European debt crisis.

you mean China and India will boom even more than today? because that was the case pre-Lehman and pre-European debt crisis.

Quite the opposite - their economies are built like a house of cards. And if the North Korea thing starts becoming bigger, and the money which has made China grow is withdrawn.. well you have serious liquidity problems in China, and the REAL value of the Yuan will crash.. rather than the value the Chinese government imposes on the world. Just remember, countries only grow because of foreign investment or because of technological advances, Chinas growth was based on foreign investment, vs. the growth of the USA and UK when they had booms, which were both based on technological advances.

Pakistan is an issue for India, as well as inflation, as well as the fight back from the rest of the world to stop outsourcing there (some US states now prohibit outsourcing to India for certain fields). When you get the market demand increasing locally to have higher wages etc, but the real supply (of work) to the market shrinking, that creates problems with growth in GDP.

Next trading range will be 43-46.

Quid sat at 38-40 throughout the 1990's until 1997, whilst Blighters was in recession and this place was having its nutty boom. Looks like history repeating with all that Western QE hot printy printy money flowing into 'emerging' markets bonds.

Car sales here up sharply, people borrowing, HomePro fully stocked . . .

Anyone read 'Confessions Of An Economic Hitman'?

Next trading range will be 43-46.

Quid sat at 38-40 throughout the 1990's until 1997, whilst Blighters was in recession and this place was having its nutty boom. Looks like history repeating with all that Western QE hot printy printy money flowing into 'emerging' markets bonds.

Car sales here up sharply, people borrowing, HomePro fully stocked . . .

Anyone read 'Confessions Of An Economic Hitman'?

Well said, it's fanciful to try and knock the Chinese but unless there is a seismic shift in economic and foreign policy from the USA/UK plus Europe a baht fall will not happen.

Asia is now the workshop of the world for the most part (like it or not). It's stranglehold on cheap goods is likely to continue until it's middle-class can take the baton. The the west had better of got it's act together or they'll be even more crisis on the horizon.

They (the Chinese) hold vast gold reserves and US bonds.

They (the Chinese) haven't wasted billions on wars that have done nothing positive (economically) to the US and coalition forces economy's.

I'd like to see the baht weaken but the long-term forcast looks very dim for that happening.

Quite the opposite - their economies are built like a house of cards. And if the North Korea thing starts becoming bigger, and the money which has made China grow is withdrawn.. well you have serious liquidity problems in China, and the REAL value of the Yuan will crash.. rather than the value the Chinese government imposes on the world. Just remember, countries only grow because of foreign investment or because of technological advances, Chinas growth was based on foreign investment, vs. the growth of the USA and UK when they had booms, which were both based on technological advances.

Pakistan is an issue for India, as well as inflation, as well as the fight back from the rest of the world to stop outsourcing there (some US states now prohibit outsourcing to India for certain fields). When you get the market demand increasing locally to have higher wages etc, but the real supply (of work) to the market shrinking, that creates problems with growth in GDP.

thank you for not wasting my time! uneducated guesses and irrelevant opinions like the afore-mentioned give me an excuse not to engage in any discussion with you.

av-11672.gif

35 Baht to the Pound would be nice....it would further extinguish the loud mouthed riff raff, 2 week millionaire muppets from flying to Bangkok sporting their "Tevez 32" Man City shirt, shouting on arrival in an irritating Manc accent "I want a cold f'ing beer!"