Correct Bicycle Size

ad61

phaethon post #2 - good info from that link, excellent for future reference

early 90s I ordered a Cannondale frame direct from USA through an agent in NZ, it was like getting measured for a suit he had a chart to fill out to complete the order, when frame arrived it had recommendations for seat height/position, handlebars set-up, was first time I'd thought about bike size as a 'fit' rather than simply 'you're 6'3 you need x frame'.

I have always used the inside leg measurement take away 9.

So if you have a 32 inch inside leg then a 23 inch frame should be ok.

Never read or seen this before but makes some sence....Guess I'll be looking for a String Rey Bicycle then.:)

Edited by sendbaht

Many thanks to all of you, especially phaethon for a good link...

cheers!

In days of yore a person of your size would ride a 22.5 inch bike (c to top), even 23! But these days with compact frame geometry much smaller sizes are ok and seat pins are longer. In my collection I have a 23 inch (57cm) frame that I used to race on but my favourite ride now is a 53cm frame - about 21 inches. I think it very much depends on how you want to sit on your bike and as such is a personal choice. I like to have my bars quite low in relation to the saddle hence the smaller compact geometry that I am now comfortable with. Having said all that, the best way to measure, in my opinion, is from the top of the saddle to the centre of the bottom bracket. I use 74cm (I'm about 176cm tall) but even that length depends on the length of your inside leg - some tallish people have long trunks and short bodies and others vice versa. So the best thing is to sit on a bike and try it out, work out your saddle to bb length and have a medium amount of seatpost showing. Sorry for this confusing advice but best I can do!!!!

• 2 months later...