Common Scam, Or Simple Mistake? I'M Curious....

jsflynn603

I picked up a cell phone (with help from posters on the forums here) back around December 8th when I arrived in Chiang Mai.

Not being used to having to recharge my phone, as in America it's simply $33 @ month for all my calling, which is admittedly pretty basic, I was surprised to hear beep, beep, beep....

My phone was charged so I dragged out the paperwork relating to my Sim card and my "Happy" recharge, followed instructions on finding my balance, and much to my wonder I had 0.5 Baht left. Doh!

So I drove down to the store where I imagine 99% of the people here get their phone recharged if they buy a recharge card at a convenience store.

It was pretty obvious to the clerk that I was a clueless farang and he asked "how much." I gave him my 200 baht and the "Happy" paper, in case he needed to know which company I was with. He took the money, took the phone, scratched the stuff exposing the numbers on the card, and entered a series of numbers on my phone, hit a button and a message appeared in Thai, he smiled and handed me back the phone with a smile.

So I drove home, sat down, read the Happy info paper, and dialed *101*9# and pressed call, and got back a message in English (I had managed to get it so that messages were in English) and I was surprised to see that the balance was still 0.5 Baht. So I drove (a whole two minutes) back on my motorbike and showed him the 0.5 baht balance. He reached down and pulled out my card, re-entered numbers, and *poof* a message in English: balance = 200.5 baht.

It occurred to me that some people might not (especially if they had not dropped to essentially zero balance) have even noticed until much later--like the next day, in which case, it would be too late. So was this a case of "fleece the dumb farang" or simply a mistake?

Thoughts?

I'm more curious than miffed--but I remember in my state of New Hampshire in the US a few years ago that I once noticed a convenience store clerk at a location near me do something that I thought odd. One week I purchased about $8 worth of gas and paid with a $20. The clerk put the $2 down on the counter as change, I picked it up and then remembered I had handed him a twenty...so I waited, and the other ten casually appeared. A week later the same thing happened. A few weeks later it happened again so I wrote the chain and explained about my suspicion. A few weeks later the clerk was fired and another clerk confirmed that the company watched him and he was found out. I just wonder if this is a similar sort of scam.

i am constantly trapped at 7-11 behind people too lazy or too dense to top up their own phones.

this is not a service that appears in the job description of a 7-11 clerk, yet it is a constant source of delay, especially in tourist areas. it is even worse in tourist areas with a middle eastern demographic, but lets not go there.

As you have posted here in english, i will assume you can communicate in that language, so:

mobile phones can be set to english. communications with your provider can be set to english via a call to the call center.

explanations on how to top up your phone appear at the back of the card in english.

should you have recieved a number on a reciept from 7-11 or another pay point, while not in english, the top up code should be apparent.

local atms allow you to top up your phone in english. if you have no bank account, a friend can top you up using theirs.

if you have no friends, AIS and true allow you to top up online using your credit card.

whether it is a scam or a mistake, why arent you topping up yourself?

does the convenience store clerk at "home" provide this service? would you expect them to?

i am constantly trapped at 7-11 behind people too lazy or too dense to top up their own phones.

this is not a service that appears in the job description of a 7-11 clerk, yet it is a constant source of delay, especially in tourist areas. it is even worse in tourist areas with a middle eastern demographic, but lets not go there.

As you have posted here in english, i will assume you can communicate in that language, so:

mobile phones can be set to english. communications with your provider can be set to english via a call to the call center.

explanations on how to top up your phone appear at the back of the card in english.

should you have recieved a number on a reciept from 7-11 or another pay point, while not in english, the top up code should be apparent.

local atms allow you to top up your phone in english. if you have no bank account, a friend can top you up using theirs.

if you have no friends, AIS and true allow you to top up online using your credit card.

does the convenience store clerk at "home" provide this service? would you expect them to?

You are correct - but why are you so aggressive?

Why not just feel happy to assist the OP?

Assuming your using an AIS 1-2 call sim card here are the instructions on how to do it yourself via your mobile.

Top up instructions:

Press * 120 * 16-digit PIN #

(No charge)

Once you've entered the above sequence press the 'green call/send key' on your mobile phone and a text should come back showing your new credit figure.

Edited by nam-thip

Nocturn:

I too am constantly amazed at posters who seem to understand English, yet are unable to effectively perceive the content enough to actually "answer the question." The post asked a question, and requested an opinion on that question and I am pleased that many saw this such as JWJ and Sambai and offered their thoughts., Admittedly, English can be confusing to those who use it as a second language and I so, for you, I will happily extent the privilege to you of a second chance, should you be willing to (or capable) of accepting it. As to your most interesting observations:

I do apologize profusely if you were the poor farang with the rather strange aspect to his face who was "stuck" behind me for the whole of two minutes—I most abjectly beg your forgiveness.

As to your question: "No", I do not expect the convenience store clerk at "home" to provide this service. At "home," as explained in my post (perhaps you can read it again so you will be able to identify such points in the future) I have a monthly plan, only the very poor and the homeless on the dole utilize this method in the US--the concept, of "recharging a card" as was explained, was truly new to me.

I neither asked the clerk to perform this service, nor expected it. I expected to receive either a card, or a receipt with a number on it whereupon I had intended to return home with the "happy" papers that I had, which I was confident that buried someplace within—would be the instructions which would tell me what to do. There was nothing that I did that indicated to the clerk that I expected such a service and I had indeed asked a friend how to do it and so I did not expect such a service.

You may have a Thai based credit card, though I doubt that is the case being such a worldly traveler as you most obviously are. I am constantly amazed at those people that they use a credit card for such petty charges in foreign lands, thus getting charged an instant "cash advance charge" and incurring an extremely high rate of carrying interest from day 1, on top of the Visa foreign transaction fee, on top of the parity exchange rate charge. Of course you are clearly amongst the "entitled" and I am quite sure that such trivia does not, in the least, bother you. I must admit a bit of envy.

In the future I suggest that when such idiotic or intentionally narcissistic farang causes you such immense inconvenience that you, right away, kick them very hard in the ankle and then quickly look aside. The dense foreigner, most likely will assume it was someone else and the fellow will probably move aside in agony for a while, allowing you to scuttle forward to you proper position--first in line.

As far as: "it is even worse in tourist areas with a middle eastern demographic, but lets not go there."

Well, Nocturn, I am pleased that you have such a sense of propriety and are so sensitive that you don't want to burden Thaivisa's readers with the horrid truth, but they, should any of the denser sort (the ones similar to myself) ever travel to such areas "need" to hear the truth: I have heard that in such areas possession of items such as an AK-47 or a RPG is the norm and naturally those who are so abjectly inconvenienced have the perfect answer—just kill the sod, though in your case I'm sure that both the onerous telephone recharge purchaser and the obliviously errant clerk will be promptly discharged.

Where was the scam really?.......you gave him 200, you got 200 on the phone.....he was helping you out, give him the benefit of the doubt.

He probably doesnt come on TV but if he did and read this I wouldnt blame him if he shut the door in your face next time.

Talk about ungrateful.....sheeesh

A Thai kid working in a 7-11 would never scam a farang. Thais are warm hearted, polite folks that would never, ever dream of taking advantage of their foreign guests.

Actually they wouldn't. Those Thai kids are like kids anywhere in the west and generally tend to have higher moral standards than adults. I can find lots to bash on about Thailand, but on Thai youth, most of them stand a lot taller than foreigners when it comes to the quality of honesty and decency.

A Thai kid working in a 7-11 would never scam a farang. Thais are warm hearted, polite folks that would never, ever dream of taking advantage of their foreign guests.

Actually they wouldn't. Those Thai kids are like kids anywhere in the west and generally tend to have higher moral standards than adults. I can find lots to bash on about Thailand, but on Thai youth, most of them stand a lot taller than foreigners when it comes to the quality of honesty and decency.

I like this post........lol :lol: 5555555

If he gave the card to you it does not sound like any scam. If he kept the card it most likely was.

After punching in the numbers, the phone received a message, it was in Thai script. He appeared to throw the card under the counter, I thought "into the trashcan."

When I returned he retrieved the card instantly (but then only about ten minutes had passed). Though I would have been happy to have just taken the card, he took my phone, which I had used to show him the 0.5 baht balance, punched in the numbers and then a message appeared in English showing the balance to be 200.5 baht.

He had such a nice smile that I'm sure now that it was simply an honest mistake.

If he gave the card to you it does not sound like any scam. If he kept the card it most likely was.

After punching in the numbers, the phone received a message, it was in Thai script. He appeared to throw the card under the counter, I thought "into the trashcan."

When I returned he retrieved the card instantly (but then only about ten minutes had passed). Though I would have been happy to have just taken the card, he took my phone, which I had used to show him the 0.5 baht balance, punched in the numbers and then a message appeared in English showing the balance to be 200.5 baht.

He had such a nice smile that I'm sure now that it was simply an honest mistake.

There are many good AND bad things about living in Thailand.

For me, the good out number the bad.

Ah ..... who am i fooling?

Thailand is cheap cheap cheap - that is why we are here.

One of the bad things is that i never know if a thai is genuinely good, or just scamming.

And i feel sooooooooooo bad each time i misjudge, one way or the other.

But surely, that says more about me, than about thais.....

Know that feeling?

As to your question: "No", I do not expect the convenience store clerk at "home" to provide this service. At "home," as explained in my post (perhaps you can read it again so you will be able to identify such points in the future) I have a monthly plan, only the very poor and the homeless on the dole utilize this method in the US--the concept, of "recharging a card" as was explained, was truly new to me.

That's not true at all, lots of people in the US that aren't homeless have switched to pay as you go these days, especially after traveling in Europe or Asia and seeing how phones work there. The real scam is the absurd fees that US cell phone companies charge for even basic service. I like being able to pay $1 a month for my cell phone in Thailand.

Thai kid wasn't scamming, I don't think. It's not all that an exploitable spot, he's fixed in a static position, mark is very unlikely to continue on "none the wiser", nah...I'm not seeing it. But who knows...if he gave you your recharge slip or card, he can't be scamming I don't think...

edit...

ahh yeah that doesn't place him in a great position....if he had the card all handy-like for your return...leaning towards scam, if he just "oh here it is!" with the charge slip...

I once noticed a convenience store clerk at a location near me do something that I thought odd. One week I purchased about $8 worth of gas and paid with a $20. The clerk put the $2 down on the counter as change, I picked it up and then remembered I had handed him a twenty...so I waited, and the other ten casually appeared.

This would be one of the oldest (and most profitable) scams conducted across the entire retail industry. The delayed incoming change. A girl I knew who worked a busy weekend bar would clean 4 figures a weekend scamming drunkards with this old trick (she had a pretty ridiculous advantage, the drunks were inevitably intently focused on talking to her chest and few - if any - would even consider assessing their change for accuracy whilst trying to line up an impossibly ambitious date).

Definitely a scam to be alert to at all times...

Edited by TheyCallmeScooter

Thai kid wasn't scamming, I don't think. It's not all that an exploitable spot, he's fixed in a static position, mark is very unlikely to continue on "none the wiser", nah...I'm not seeing it. But who knows...if he gave you your recharge slip or card, he can't be scamming I don't think...

edit...

ahh yeah that doesn't place him in a great position....if he had the card all handy-like for your return...leaning towards scam, if he just "oh here it is!" with the charge slip...

I once noticed a convenience store clerk at a location near me do something that I thought odd. One week I purchased about $8 worth of gas and paid with a $20. The clerk put the $2 down on the counter as change, I picked it up and then remembered I had handed him a twenty...so I waited, and the other ten casually appeared.

This would be one of the oldest (and most profitable) scams conducted across the entire retail industry. The delayed incoming change. A girl I knew who worked a busy weekend bar would clean 4 figures a weekend scamming drunkards with this old trick (she had a pretty ridiculous advantage, the drunks were inevitably intently focused on talking to her chest and few - if any - would even consider assessing their change for accuracy whilst trying to line up an impossibly ambitious date).

Definitely a scam to be alert to at all times...

Don't think much of your friend choice. :unsure:

Not sure why you'd assume we were friends when I went out of my way to make it clear she was no 'friend' of mine when I described the nature of our acquaintance.

Anyone who knows how much the lady was scamming (stealing), which you have written you know her and how much she made on a regular basis, l think was your friend. :)

That's not true at all, lots of people in the US that aren't homeless have switched to pay as you go these days, especially after traveling in Europe or Asia and seeing how phones work there. The real scam is the absurd fees that US cell phone companies charge for even basic service. I like being able to pay $1 a month for my cell phone in Thailand.

I too reverted to one2call after years of paying 400 plus for two 'phones = 900 plus, even when we hadn't used that amount on a CAT contract.

God there're lot of ignorant snobs on this forum.

Not sure why you'd assume we were friends when I went out of my way to make it clear she was no 'friend' of mine when I described the nature of our acquaintance.

Anyone who knows how much the lady was scamming (stealing), which you have written you know her and how much she made on a regular basis, l think was your friend. :)

Perhaps you'd be interested in engaging in an pseudo-academic exercise where you tasked yourself to solve this 'riddle' and come up with some plausible connections that would result in my becoming privy to her scamming thefts...and yet somehow prevented from bringing down the White Sword of the Law down onto her slender neck in righteous outrage. Yes / No?

I don't condone scams and I don't much care for those who act without ethics, but I would be lying if I claimed the dilemma (yes, there was one) caused me to lose a great deal of sleep tossing and turning, agonised by the tragic nature of the horned toad 'victims' (many of whom performed chillingly convincingly as would-be rapists when attempting to desperately 'sweet-talk' her with their graphically-described sexual acts they intended to perform to her person if she "knew a good thing when she saw one").

I am not condoning her actions, I was rather strongly vocal about my contempt for both sides of that endlessly repeated / repetitive 'exchange'. But I did not feel any compulsion to take it upon myself to intervene. I do not know how ethical my inaction was, but I admit the nature of the victims played a large part in my decision, so I suspect it might be leaning towards 'unethical' (in hindsight). We're talking over a decade ago of course, I was not viewing the world in quite so clear lenses, at the time.

You are correct - but why are you so aggressive?

Why not just feel happy to assist the OP?

i cannot help someone who does not first attempt to help themselves. What will he require next, assistance entering his pin at the atm?

Because usualy the Falang is trying to get her Phone number.:blink:

Edited by Thongkorn

I don't condone scams and I don't much care for those who act without ethics, but I would be lying if I claimed the dilemma (yes, there was one) caused me to lose a great deal of sleep tossing and turning, agonised by the tragic nature of the horned toad 'victims' (many of whom performed chillingly convincingly as would-be rapists when attempting to desperately 'sweet-talk' her with their graphically-described sexual acts they intended to perform to her person if she "knew a good thing when she saw one").

:blink::huh: