Sending Cash Back To Uk

Hi all.

Happy new year to everyone.

I have about 250,000 baht I need to get back to the Uk.

I am planning to leave Thailand soon. I have had money sent over from the UK many times and a far greater amount but it seems complicated to send back. Ths was to my Siam Commercial Bank account. I am leaving so obviously want the money out.

Was told you could say it was to pay a bill, but they ask for the bill.

One possibility is to change to US$ at a exchange, but what is the limit for this. Perhaps visiting several.

Someone mentioned the likes of western union, i assume very costly.

Also i assume that i could not change such an amount when i get back to UK,

Cheers in advance

Thinking about it, unless you or anyone else you know is with HSBC it will be hard to find another bank with a branch in Bangkok.

There are many companies like Western Union etc so you could shop around.

but..... As it is 25,000 - £550 you should be able to just carry that back without any problems. Some in your main luggage and the rest on you (not in you)

I used to send money out of Thailand all the time when I was working. Even did it when I was not officially working, too.

By far the cheapest way was (and I presume still is) to visit your bank and ask for a banker's draft in your home currency. I asked for drafts in pounds sterling and was charged a fee of about 150 - 200 baht per draft. Each draft looked like a building society cheque and was drawn on a UK bank so there were never any problems about depositing or clearing the cheque in the UK. Kasikorn, KTB, and SCB all do this with very little hassle. Avoid UOB like the plague.

THB 250K is not that much and I might just be tempted to carry it out as cash. Of course, get it converted first or you'll be stung on exchange rates in your home country. Also, 250K in your pocket is too bulky, as I remember from a time I had to carry about 500K from one bank to the next.

One possibility is to change to US$ at a exchange, but what is the limit for this. Perhaps visiting several.

Someone mentioned the likes of western union, i assume very costly.

Also i assume that i could not change such an amount when i get back to UK,

Why on earth would you want to change to USD and then to GBP when you arrive in the UK?

The only limit I've encountered at exchange booths is whatever they have available. If you want cash, go into a bank and ask what they've got. If they don't have enough, they can always order it for collection the following day. If you think you'll be back again, ask for a phone number and you can order / check in advance of visiting.

Just don't mess about with transfer fees for such a small amount. Get the cash or buy a draft. Sorted.

Thanks for all the information.

The UK bank is Barclay's and I am pretty sure they have no associated business over here.

the reason I mentioned changing to US$ is they are much easier to get hold of than sterling.

I would be very nervous walking through custom with 5k in my pocket, possibility for too many questions and cash going missing.

Never thought about a bankers draft sounds a good option.

I tried to make a transfer through my local SCB branch but they said it was not possible, I think it was more a case of they didn't know how to do it.

Cheers

What would be the best way to transfer a small amount to the UK, say 5000 THB?

For such a tiny amount you'll be stung on transfer fees. If you need to "transfer" the money I suggest you buy a bankers draft. See my earlier post.

Alternatively, just ask a relative or someone you know in the UK to deposit a similar sum in a UK bank, with the promise to settle up later. That's assuming they'll think you are good for £100.00 :blink:

The amounts discussed in previous posts appear to vary from 5000 baht to 250,000 baht. If it is the lesser, and you state you are returning to the UK, have your bank convert to cash and take it with you. If it is the larger amount, call at the bank that has received the transfers from overseas in the past and ask them to remit it back. If you can prove you brought the funds into the country then the paper trail is there for the banks to remit back.

While the costs may be say 500 baht at this end and 25 pounds at the UK end, it provides you security and quick access to the funds upon your return. While taking a draft is an option, you will find that fees may be deducted as your UK Bank send it for collection. The time factor could be up to 30 days before you eventually have access to your funds.