Export From Thailand To Usa

Hello, I am thinking of starting an export business in Thailand to the united states. It would be a company 100% owned by usa citizens. I was wondering what type of licensing I would need to get in Thailand. Will I need a business visa to send stuff back to usa? Can anybody recommend a lawyer in Thailand they have had good experience with? Thanks.

You don't need a licence DHL, Fedex UPS (not sure UPS is in )will ship your parcels or there are many shipping agencies in Chatuchak Market, that will ship for you and do the paperwork. My expertise is International trade. You can alwasy PM me, but I will be away tomorrow for 3 days. Canadian lawyer in Korat. isaanlawyers.com 2 websites more for legal problems than advice on export. A lot more hassle to set up a company. Just buy and ship your parcels.

Edited by Colabamumbai

If this is to be a serious business venture then you need a Thai lawyer to explain things to you. For starters, generally a business cannot be 100% foreign owned.

And what Thai Lawyer knows about International Trade and Export.???

You need to talk to a foreigner who has been doing this for years....

Edited by Colabamumbai

If this is to be a serious business venture then you need a Thai lawyer to explain things to you. For starters, generally a business cannot be 100% foreign owned.

And what Thai Lawyer knows about International Trade and Export.???

You need to talk to a foreigner who has been doing this for years....

I believe the reason he is telling the OP the he needs to speak to a Thai lawyer is if he is going to do this as a real business and open a company then he should use a lawyer that is familiar with Thai laws, obviously you are offering bad advise right now since you are recommending him not to open a company and ship things out. Shipping things out on a regular basis is operating a business. Therefore he meeds to open a company and get an export license. Anything that is shipped out of Thailand needs to be done under an export license. When you use Fed, DHL etc they are using their export license to ship it out for you. Yes, he could just start buying and selling and shipping things out but this would not be legal and he could find himself in allot of trouble. He would also need a work permit. Owning a Thai company 100% can be done as a US citizen, but there are limitations to what type of business if can be. Not sure trading is acceptable. I suggest you speak to a lawyer that is familiar with the US Thai Amity treaty.

I would not jump into Things take your time and speak to a few lawyers not just one.

Good Luck!!!

I would definitely have to agree with ericthai on this one. To conduct any type of business legally in any country, you have to register and create a legal business entity. Have you got the proper permits for business back in the USA as well? You will need to have both the exporting license for Thailand and the importing license for the USA if you want to be an importer or distributor. Otherwise, you can merely treat the entity or person as a customer that you are sending things to and let them handle it, depends on wether or not you are going to resell in the USA.

I have spoken with many foreigners who have import/export 'business' (I use that term extremely loosely) throughout the city, and from all parts of the western world. about 1% of them have actually done the papers legitimately, and the other 99% have had issues with the Thai government for tax evasion and issues with their home countries for tax evasion as well. This is why it is so important to talk with a lawyer and make sure that you have an accountant who understands Thai accounting procedures, to pay your taxes and avoid problems.

While a Thai lawyer will not know about international trade, that is not why you need their services. An import/export agent is the expert on int'l trade, but the lawyer will keep you out of prison and give you a good name which is everything here.

DO NOT LISTEN TO PEOPLE WHO TELL YOU IT IS EASY AND ASK TO BE YOUR PARTNER!!! It is not easy to establish a business here, and the US/Thai Amnity Treaty is still legally valid, but is had to establish a business under because the politicians want to get rid of it as it is looked upon as an old law that is bleeding revenue. So get in with it while you can.

This can be done legally, and you can make money, but you will not make any money sending parcels through UPS or FEDEX.

I hope this helps......