California Wow Fitness Club - Cheap Membership

All of you people who think it's a good idea to throw money at California WOW for "lifetime" memberships should read this:

http://bangkoklibrary.com/news/174-price-w...-xperience-pcl-

According to the audit report the company's liabilities exceed the company's assets by about 350 million baht.

To quote the report: "These conditions indicate the existence of a material uncertainty which may cast significant doubt about the Company’s ability to continue as a going concern."

Edited by sibeymai

All I wish is that the Chiang Mai Calif. Fitness guy would stop calling me to push the promotion. Living 600 km. from the fitness center is a slight put-off to making the deal look attractive. Why don't they get it?

Edited by toptuan

Sorry to disappoint a few people, but some of you have been seriously, seriously ripped off.

Whoever wrote the original post that "California have a great new offer of 1,600 baht a month"..... hate to inform you mate but I pay 400 a month. And to be honest I thought I was paying over the odds for that but just got fed up with all the haggling. (The sales people really are annoying)

Again, whoever just paid 22K for a life time membership.... I got offered 10K just a few days ago.

The recent lifetime offer may well be related to the rumoured demise of the club, but I signed up for the monthly fee ages ago.

If there's anyone else considering signing up, trust me, just go in and haggle for a bit. Start off with a stupidly low figure. After a while just walk out and say you're going somewhere else. You will be surprised with the offer they throw back at you.

• 1 month later...

after working out with fitness first for a year i joined california wow life time Black Card membership for 12,899 baht. 100baht for renewal every year..

including yoga, 2 personal training sessions..

fitness first is definitely higher grade than california, but CW attracts me bcoz of price but i hated

* dirty shower rooms

* non working steam rooms

* get your own padlock for lockers

* paid towel service

* rust on exercise machines

i just need to get used to it. goona take time :)

but i paid thru credit card, hope they will not charge me again :D(((((((( some replies in this formus are scaring me...

• 2 weeks later...

I got a lifetime membership at the begining of this year for 25K, I am also still a member of fitness first which expires at the end of this year.

California wow gyms are so much better then fitness first, the personal trainers at fitness first don't know shit.

Personal trainers at cali wow are great, I have even become friends with many of them and they actually know what they are doing.

Apart from there dirty showers (which most gyms have) I find nothing wrong with it.

you guys with "lifetime" memberships . , can some one check your contract paper and see at the pre-paid option that it signed " pre-paid period " 12month . , correct ? .,

So all contracts that has at least 12month pre-paid AND renewal fee 100 THB ... Is what they call "Lifetime" membership right ? .,

So in other form the 1yrs contract with renewal fee of 100 THB is the Lifetime membership ! As you pay for 12month and after that you pay 100 THB for every year after that . ,..

Is it still 10.000 THB Lifetime membership here in Pattaya ? ? ., and will the card work in BKK also ? . . . . . .

No, I got a lifetime deal for 10k, but it's only for the Pattaya gym. You cannot talk about 10k as though it is a fixed price though, as it takes quite an effort to get the price down that low. I'm not sure, but I have a feeling it had something to do with the American manager Mark who left soon after these cheap deals were offered.

you guys with "lifetime" memberships . , can some one check your contract paper and see at the pre-paid option that it signed " pre-paid period " 12month . , correct ? .,

So all contracts that has at least 12month pre-paid AND renewal fee 100 THB ... Is what they call "Lifetime" membership right ? .,

So in other form the 1yrs contract with renewal fee of 100 THB is the Lifetime membership ! As you pay for 12month and after that you pay 100 THB for every year after that . ,..

It makes you wonder how many lifetime memberships they will void because members have failed to pay the 100 baht per year renewal fee. It's definitely something which could easily slip one's mind.

• 2 weeks later...

800 baht a month, in Jan 2009. sales guy loitering outside the gym started at 2500 but he quickly came to realize error of his ways and we agreed to 800b

oh, small gym at Soi 5 Jomtien is also 800b per month, nicer, quieter.. but no air and closes at 8pm.

• 3 weeks later...

just joined lifetime in cawow with access to all gyms exept Pinklao for 11K... it's ok ... even if they will close next year... before that I was going to a posh but boring and overpriced fitess center... now I have all I need at a reasonable price. and I am looking for gym partner;) in Bangkok!

I’m sorry...... I just don’t get it! I’ve been keeping fit for most of my adult life and staying out of the gym. I really am not trying to be rude, insulting or confrontational to gym users, the fact is, nobody needs to justify why they do what they do, but I do think most gym users just throw good money after bad; I compare buying a gym membership to buying a home exercise bike, now with less than 50km on the clock and used as a cloths hoarse.... You know who you are! I know there are many reasons people give for using gyms, some good so please, I don’t need to know why you’re using the gym. If you feel you need to have a rant! Please, knock yourself out! (by all means)

I also find it strange how after spending a wedge of dosh on a gym membership most people feel they have achieved something, there half way to getting a 6 pack. It is a fact most people, (non fitness nuts) stop going after a few weeks.

As said this is not a dig at gym users, more another point of view for certain types thinking of joining.

Just stop and look at where you are! Thailand, if you can’t get fit outdoors here...... where? Getting fit an’t about grunting into a mirror and holding your gut in, because a bit of fluff walks past you!

I now ride a mountain bike, a good one, it’s low impact and fantastic, , OK it costs a little more than membership. I can’t run anymore, (doggy knee) I’ve meet lots of people, Thai and Falange, joined the local mountain bike club, all Thai. And now I have a fitness program, floor work, stretching and the bike. I now know so, so many locals where I live Mae Tang, near Chiangmai.

Something to think about a!

Always remember: “Life’s, it’s journey, not a destination” Enjoy the now!

It makes you wonder how many lifetime memberships they will void because members have failed to pay the 100 baht per year renewal fee. It's definitely something which could easily slip one's mind.

Yes and No because there is a sign which cannot be missed when one present their membership to the receptionnist to enter the club.

It states clearly that one must renew their membership's fee within a month prior to the date stated (That is for the silom branch)

after working out with fitness first for a year i joined california wow life time Black Card membership for 12,899 baht. 100baht for renewal every year..

including yoga, 2 personal training sessions..

fitness first is definitely higher grade than california, but CW attracts me bcoz of price but i hated

* dirty shower rooms

* non working steam rooms

* get your own padlock for lockers

* paid towel service

* rust on exercise machines

i just need to get used to it. goona take time :)

but i paid thru credit card, hope they will not charge me again :D (((((((( some replies in this formus are scaring me...

Abd which club might that be?

I have been to three different clubs in Bangkok and none of the description fits?

I have been to Pattaya: same thing. The only thing was that they were not providing any towels

I have been to Singapore: again no such a thing. I must add that I went this one three years ago so apparently the rules have changed and we are not allowed in anymore but at that time it was still possible

When I first became a member, 6 or 7 years ago, I paid Baht 24,000 for 4 years then, at the end of that period, I renewed for a lifetime (worlwide at the time) for Baht 14,000 (access to all classes)

Either way I find it expensive but at least I get hot showers

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Interesting thread.

I find their gyms are okay, but like many others I find their aggressive Sales pitch quite insulting. I don't know what it's like for Thais but towards a farang they need to learn some manners.

When I first looked around (Ratchada one); I was shown around by a girl from the front desk who seemed more interested in finding out if I had a girlfriend or not, but she wasn't annoying and quite pleasant. Then I sat down with her and the Sales clerk and their offer was something like - 20K joining fee, then 3.6K each month, but I would have to pay 3 months up in advance. My answer, understandably was, 'no way' and I told them that price was far more expensive than joining a gym in the UK. They then all of a sudden they kept showing me 'special offers' (reducing the membership from 20K to 16K, then 10K, then 8 then 4 and the monthly fee down to 2K). In the end I was polite and said no chance, it was then the sales person said, "Why not pay it, you are farang, you are very rich." Even when he said this, the front desk girl, looked embarrassed by what he had said and even snapped at him in Thai.

Being my self mannered type and resisting the urge to tell him to go and do one, I just said, I'm off and will look at another chain. They then said they will phone their boss and arrange a new offer for me. In the end, I took a Lifetime fee of one payment for 12.5K and the yearly renewal of 100B. I got the choice of 3 clubs I can go to.

Since then, a couple of months later, I had one sales woman have the cheek to offer me the chance to buy one of their towels for.... 3,000 baht. As my mouth dropped, she then followed it with a big smile, and said, but to you, we have a special price of just 2,500 baht. Again, the front desk clerk from before, rolled her eyes in embarrassment. I just smiled and said, it's okay I will buy one from Jusco for 50 baht. Her face was a picture as she couldn't think of anything to say back.

I've been hassled before by a group of PT's (not in a rude way though) and told them I may look into personnel training later in the year but not at the moment,; so that got them off my back.

Now, that I will be moving from the Ratchada area to Sathron, I asked if it was possible to change one or two of the 3 clubs on my card and told this was not possible. They then said, however, I can upgrade to a membership that includes all of their clubs. I asked for details re this, the clerk sat me down and showed me a package that said 59K joining fee and 1.8K a month. She pointed to it but said nothing, then wrote down a figure of 14K one payment to change to this; I said I wouldn't pay that. WIthout any negotiation, she shook her head, got up and walked back to the desk.

I will try with another clerk next time, but TBH I have a gym in my new place I'm moving to, so it's not a necessity and I can still always goto the ASOKE one as not too far from work.

But all in all, California Wow seriously need to work on their attitude towards potential and existing customers.

On a side note; is it just me or does it seem a tad over the top with all the pics and video clips of their personnel trainers coming on screen just seem a little vain to you? It's as if these people think they are famous or something. I do however, like looking at the pics of the Diet Coke woman; makes me buy diet coke everytime!

• 1 month later...

I'm sorry...... I just don't get it! I've been keeping fit for most of my adult life and staying out of the gym. I really am not trying to be rude, insulting or confrontational to gym users, the fact is, nobody needs to justify why they do what they do, but I do think most gym users just throw good money after bad; I compare buying a gym membership to buying a home exercise bike, now with less than 50km on the clock and used as a cloths hoarse.... You know who you are! I know there are many reasons people give for using gyms, some good so please, I don't need to know why you're using the gym. If you feel you need to have a rant! Please, knock yourself out! (by all means)

I also find it strange how after spending a wedge of dosh on a gym membership most people feel they have achieved something, there half way to getting a 6 pack. It is a fact most people, (non fitness nuts) stop going after a few weeks.

As said this is not a dig at gym users, more another point of view for certain types thinking of joining.

Just stop and look at where you are! Thailand, if you can't get fit outdoors here...... where? Getting fit an't about grunting into a mirror and holding your gut in, because a bit of fluff walks past you!

I now ride a mountain bike, a good one, it's low impact and fantastic, , OK it costs a little more than membership. I can't run anymore, (doggy knee) I've meet lots of people, Thai and Falange, joined the local mountain bike club, all Thai. And now I have a fitness program, floor work, stretching and the bike. I now know so, so many locals where I live Mae Tang, near Chiangmai.

Something to think about a!

Always remember: "Life's, it's journey, not a destination" Enjoy the now!

Have to agree with you Tonto - all my gym memberships in the past have been pretty much wasted. I would go a few times, but then stop and blame it on things like bad weather, sore, tired, etc.

At my apartment we have a pretty well-equipped gym downstairs - B700 p/month for unlimited 24-hour use. But I've been living here 4 months and have never felt the need to use it.

Then this week a Thai friend urges me to join CW with her so we can do yoga, but given my gyming history and some of the posts on this thread, I think I should rather not entertain the thought anymore.

Does anyone know of a nice yoga place in the Phaya Thai area? I was always quite good at attending set exercise classes.