Aranyaprathet / Rong Klua

p_brownstone

My daughter is visiting from UK and the Thai family have planned a day trip to Aranyaprathet / Rong Klua next weekend. (Just as a side note, she has Dual Thai / British Nationality, I have PR here in Thailand, so neither of us needs to worry about Visas etc..)

I have never been there but I have absolutely no interest in crossing the Border for a few hours (can’t be bothered to get a Re-entry Permit frankly!) just to watch a shopping frenzy so I plan to stay on the Thai side, find a nice restaurant and sit for a few hours reading, eating and drinking by myself and wait for the Group to stagger back loaded with booty.

I’m just being lazy here, I know there are probably lots of options that will present themselves when I get there, but can anyone suggest a decent place for me to while away a few hours on the Thai side of the Border? I’d prefer something near the actual Border crossing, not in Aranyaprathet itself.

(I did this in Mae Sai a few years ago when they all went to Tha Chi Lek and was very happy to find a great little place just on the stream, below the bridge – something similar would be lovely.)

Many thanks for any suggestions.

Patrick

There is a couple of places opposite the bank on the corner of the little cut through to the border from the market and just befoe you walk into the market area,one is done out very nicely with wooden seating and has those big fans for your comfort does nice food in there and you can watch the bustle of the market relaxed,other than that(you did say at the border)you would have to go to Aran up the road.

But for a few hours it is quite comfortable,the market is worth a wander for a while but you would struggle to get about it in a day and as you say you would not want to.

Rong Klua is a bustling market and i am afraid you will not get much peace if you are there,unless you get tucked away in a cafe and keep your head in a book,even then?

The above is ok nothing special and the swimming pool is in a yard area very small,but you would have to get a tuk tuk there and back.

Where are you arriving at? if the bus station then you could go into the Mermaid hotel there and wait,very comfortable.

Edited by MrRed