Expat Property Ownership Poll

Under which method do you own your property?  

191 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since the Thai government doesn't even know we are married, my wife simply signed her name to the property we recently bought. The other property she owns was given to her by her parents after we married. With two kids and one more on the way, our children will inherit this land when my wife says goodbye to this world.

Folks who own a land via a private company - could you please specify whether it is a zero-profit company setup just to own this house's land or it is a real, functioning company. If it is a zero-profit one, how much is the monthly cost of maintaining it (paper work, accounting cost, bank account fee, etc)?

Zero profit company's are not very safe IMHO! Government might crack down on them.

But even if the company actively trades and does make profit (e.g in the receipts of rental fees from said property) the taxes owned will still be acceptable.

A good accountant will also be able to reduce company income, by example when you borrow money to the company in order so it can acquire the house, any interests payed to the borrower are tax deductible!

I guess to play it safe it'll cost you between 20K and 30k Baht/annum.

I just wouldn't sleep well if I was just paying the absolute minimum of around 12000 Baht/year to keep a company alive!

The vote count for number 3 worries me a little.

Why? We have the house and land on my wife's name, and have 2 kids that would inherit the deed should something happen to her. She does not drink, gamble or smoke, has never worked in a bar, is careful with money, etc - so I have no problem trusting her with this.

In the unlikely event we should split up sometime in the future, I would have no problem leaving the house and land to her and the kids.

Edited by WhiteShiva

This is a big complicated topic that is best looked at in the full context of the relationship, age of partners, other aspects of the marriage as discussed in the recent extensive postings on family that wants a million baht pickup truck as a wedding present. However you do it, there are likely to be many possibilities for disappointments on both sides.

Having said that, I am not sorry that my wife and I set up a few years back an arrangement for equal control of our property (which I paid for) via joint directorship of a Thai company. We have to agree or nothing happens. This does not guarantee that in moments of stress the Thai partner won't fall back on the idea that this is "unfair" because foreigners really "shouldn't" have any control over Thai land, or that a man really "owes" lifetime security to his woman. As always, you have to keep your cool and know when to draw the line on demands. all the while making a real effort to see the kind of anxiety that the Thai partner might genuinely have reason to feel.

Why? We have the house and land on my wife's name, and have 2 kids that would inherit the deed should something happen to her. She does not drink, gamble or smoke, has never worked in a bar, is careful with money, etc - so I have no problem trusting her with this.

In the unlikely event we should split up sometime in the future, I would have no problem leaving the house and land to her and the kids.

Nothing personal towards you mate, you obviously have a history, children and "real" love.

I meet so many guys that put things in their wives names and then end up with nothing but problems - thats all.

I think all farangs should at least draw up a lease contract (if the property is in the wifes name) for a period of 30 years - it just makes sense.

Nothing personal towards you mate, you obviously have a history, children and "real" love.

I meet so many guys that put things in their wives names and then end up with nothing but problems - thats all.

I think all farangs should at least draw up a lease contract (if the property is in the wifes name) for a period of 30 years - it just makes sense.

If I couldn't afford to loose the house, I probably would have done so. In fact, my wife brought this up in the past, she was worried about her relatives inheriting the house, rather than me, should something happened to her.

I don't loose any sleep over it. If I loose the house, if will be the least of my concerns - at least the kids will be able to live with their mother in a nice house.

Smart move Torny... :o

It can also serve to protect both parties in the event of an unfortunate accident that leaves one partner remaining.

I have advised many friends over the years to take out a lease on the property that they have bought in their girlfriends/wives name.

I pointed out all the positive points of having the lease.

How many of my friends took out a lease?

None, they were all scared of asking their wives.

If I couldn't afford to loose the house, I probably would have done so. In fact, my wife brought this up in the past, she was worried about her relatives inheriting the house, rather than me, should something happened to her.

I don't loose any sleep over it. If I loose the house, if will be the least of my concerns - at least the kids will be able to live with their mother in a nice house.

Me too mate. I always advise people to take the lease road but haven't done it myself. Am quite prepared to pack my bags and move to a rented condo if need be. So what, have had 5 great years so far and don't believe in all this bitterness that people feel on splitting. Might worry more if I had a 10 million baht home :o

I don't think ours is in anybody's name :o I've never seen any papers for the house, I think it was built before they botherd with those sort of things.

It's about 40 years old and was given to us by the mother-in-law, just did it up a bit. The land its on is in the wifes name but was hers anyway (well it was the mother-in-laws but she gave it to us) The cows are mine though :D

RC

Taking out a lease on the property from your wife isn't just about not losing money if the relationship changes.

As I explained to my wife; if she should die (God forbid), her family could make me homeless by just ordering me out of the house.

This expression "dont invest more in a house than your willing to lose" is just bull-shit. It doesn't have to be that way. A simple lease takes care of you in all sorts of situations and makes sleeping at night easy.

Taking out a lease on the property from your wife isn't just about not losing money if the relationship changes.

As I explained to my wife; if she should die (God forbid), her family could make me homeless by just ordering me out of the house.

This expression "dont invest more in a house than your willing to lose" is just bull-shit. It doesn't have to be that way. A simple lease takes care of you in all sorts of situations and makes sleeping at night easy.

True! "different strokes for different folks" depends on your personal situation :o

Exactly! :o

Good post Sir Burr.

I'm sinking all I have spare into building our new house... it's our dream house so why cut corners for happiness?

:D

All things considered, having property in your partners name is actually the easiest route. Taxes, legal paper and a clear understanding of who plays what role is important.

Obviously if you married her, or him there is some level of trust :o . Knowing who you married is also a fine line. Each situation has its own dynamics where the property is, how much property there is, are kids involved is the whole family involved, mom dad uncle sister brother and so on.

Just having the PAPER is a comfort and a fall back and is very important should some unfortunate event occur to either partner.

Because when and if it does the buzzards come out of hiding and it is not only in Thailand it is everywhere.

Do the legal documents to protect each other it is an umbrella when disaster strikes.

:D

Edited by meelousee