Tax On Investment In Singapore

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone can help...I have managed funds brought through FundSuperMart which is a Singapore based online managed fund distributor. I have various funds - Lion, Aberdeen, ING - in various currencies. I bought them while I was a resident of Singapore but now am resident of Thailand. I am thinking of selling up most of these but have no idea what the tax implications would be - I don't see any withholding tax mentioned in the site, does this mean that I would have to file a Singapore tax return on the income?

Any advice appreciated!

Thanks

Singapore may not require a tax return, but your home country may. For US citizens, all worldwide income is required to be reported on their US returns, and also maybe their home State returns, depending on which State. Don't know what your home country is, but if it's the US, I strongly suggest you get competent tax accounting help to ensure you are reporting and paying correctly. The US has been going after offshore accounts held by its' citizens and permanent residents big time the last couple of years. They had a partial amnesty program that expired on Oct. 15 2009 that saw about 15,000 people come forward and fess up. Those who didn't come forward and have not previously reported their offshore accounts if they were required to do so, file tax returns and pay required taxes/penalties/interest, etc., and subsequently get caught, well I wish you the best of luck; you will most certainly need it.

Don't know what your home country is, but if it's the US, I strongly suggest...

somebody who has these kind of investments

I have various funds - Lion, Aberdeen, ING - in various currencies...

is most probably not a U.S. citizen.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, thanks for the feedback. Luckily I am not a US citizan so I don't believe there is any requirement to declare this income (I am Australian citizen / Thai resident )

Thanks again

Hi, thanks for the feedback. Luckily I am not a US citizan so I don't believe there is any requirement to declare this income (I am Australian citizen / Thai resident )

Thanks again

unfortunately the Aussie taxman does not share your beliefs :whistling: