License Needed To Play Live Music?

roger1999

The house next to mine has been converted to a bar/restaurant and they play live music at night. While it is not particularly loud, the band plays outdoors and the speakers are not 10 meters from my house and facing directly toward my house. Do I have any options to try to get the live music stopped? I was told I should have been consulted by the city before they were granted a license to play live music, but that might not be true and certainly no one asked my opinion. Any thoughts?

I think it will all come down to connections, who pays the most to get their way..

On Phuket the only rule (and thats very difficult to get enforced by a farang against a Thai) is 2am.. So they can make all the noise they like up to 2. Many continue till 4 or so and the police just ignore the complaints.

while you can spend the extra effort to go against it , why not spend the time enjoying it .

. But of cos unless you are talking about .. Hard techno or heavy Bass pounding non stop at the same 4 beats . which is kinda mind blowing .

most of the music is kinda nice . and since you sound like a guys who like Quite places .

you can do a more active approach by . creating better sound proof .

the trick is not to create enemy at your Own House next .

DON't forget there do live next door to you . just in case one days if your House do get Burn by fire , or you got bitten by snake . the late party people might just be the one helping you or sending you to the hospital .

people go to a Bar to fight so that there do not have to do it to their next door Neighbor .

good luck .

Bets advise I would have thought would come from a Thai solicitor. Why they approve these establishments in residential areas or specifically private homes is beyond me, but hey TIT.

Good luck with the outcome, I can imagine your frustration.

PS What about if you played your ACDC music pretty loud on your outdoor Bose system while the customers were enjoying there meal or relaxing with a beer, dont think the customers would hang around too long. The management would get the point rather quickly and hopefully come to a compromise with you. However this is pretty extreme measures

It is not a good idea to get in a pissing match with the kind of Thai person that owns bars. If you can get the police to do something to limit them on legal grounds, you will probably be much better off. They usually need a load of licenses, so a policeman can find something to control them if he wants to.

Edited by Ulysses G.

A lot depends on the police district and nature of the neighbourhood. e.g. are there already many such venues around or is this a sole instance? If it's a small bar who don't pay the police very much the Police may be helpful. In which case get your self a red box and provide the guy who collects the money a generous "whisky allowance" ;) That might help keep the volume down and have it stop at midnight.

As to being consulted by the city... unless it's a large venue I doubt they ever asked the city or have a licence for anything :whistling:

It is not a good idea to get in a pissing match with the kind of Thai person that owns bars. If you can get the police to do something to limit them on legal grounds, you will probably be much better off. They usually need a load of licenses, so a policeman can find something to control them if he wants to.

OP has not mentioned whether the owners are Thai or Farang. If Thai yes I agree, it could turn ugly and is why I indicated extreme measures only. As previously mentioned best advise would come from a "Thai" legal advisor.

All the bset

go tell the landlord you are a sound engineer , and you are willing to help them do sound control . :)

spend some money buying smaller speaker installed in the around near to table . and shift the sound direction away from you house .

and then maybe invest into a wall to bounce the sound from your direction . a 3 ply MDF with form fill inside might help .

if not is time you buy your own Sound system and start playing your Gore metal death rock .

WAIT . i got a better idea..

Get the local Templar Charting Dharama collection . . and play it at the time you wish to sleep soon .

it would sure spoil the Mood of the party goer as it remind them of their SIN

whahahhahahaha

Many thanks for all the advice. I will play it very cool and hope they go under soon. So far they have had very few customers in their first week. BTW -- the bar is Thai-owned, and in a neighborhood with many bars, but most of the bars are concentrated in non-residential area/streets and this one is not. If it still bothers me in a week, I'll invest in some soundproofing as a next step.

But, playing the Templar Charting Dharama collection back at them is a hilarious suggestion : )