Appliation For Retirement Visa

Hi all,

I've checked a few pages of recent submissions and although some of the discussions go a long way towards answering my questions, I don't want to fall foul of any regulations so decided to ask my specific questions here. Thanks in Advance.

I'm currently living in Thailand on a multi entry non-imm O visa issued in Feb 10 from Hull UK, and "enjoying" 90 day border runs. My last run was in dec and my permission to stay is now until Mar, approximately 1 month after my non-O visa expires. As I understand things, if I want to make full use of my current non-O visa, I need to do a further border run before the visa expires in Feb 11, rather than just before my current permission to stay is due.

However, as I have recently turned 50, I would prefer to convert my visa to a "retirement" type, to avoid the need for future 90 day border runs, and to allow future annual extensions without needing to leave Thailand. Today I visited my local immigration office to check what I needed to do for this. They told me to return to their office just before my current permission to stay expires with a completed TM7 (Application for Extension of Temporary Stay in the Kingdom), the necessary photo, proof of savings and current address, and the fee of 1900 bt.

I'm confused, since this does not mention "retirement" at all. Have they given me the wrong form, or did they misunderstand my requirement?

I have previously used this form to give me a couple of weeks extension of stay, when my flight arrangements did not match my permission to stay date, and received only 30 extra days. Obviously, if this is what I will recieve again, I'm better of making another border run in Feb, for a further 90 days. Or is this just the first stage in getting a "retirement" visa?

I was under the impression that I needed to apply for my "retirement" visa prior to the expiration of my current non-O, ie. before it expires in Feb, rather than leaving it until my "permission to stay" date.

Can anyone please put my mind at rest, or explain the necessary procedure? Thanks

All extensions of stay use a TM7 and you state the reason/number of days on the form (365 days). You were provided the correct information. You should also have some proof of address if not on you financials in case that is asked. You do this during the last 30 days of any permission to stay period. The visa itself does not have to be valid.

Your current visa expiration date appears to be wrong if it was issued on Feb 10. It should expire on the 9th unless there has been a change in policy since my last visa (many years ago).

Additionally, using the method you will be using, you will NEVER be getting a retirement visa. The annual EXTENSION stamp they put in your passport will say "Retirement" though. A retirement visa is an O-A visa obtained in your home country only, and you don't need one, ever.

Edited by Jingthing

Many Thanks Lopburi,

I was hoping you would reply as your replies appear to be the most succinct and helpful.

You've put my mind fully at rest. "The visa itself does not have to be valid."

Sorry, I should have been clearer (I was just using the month/year) - my visa was issued 19th Feb 2010, and "must be used before 19th Feb 2011". My curent permission to stay is 18th March 2011.

So I apply for a 365 day extension, for reason of retirement, and I assume I need to report to immigration every 90 days thereafter? And if I want to leave Thailand for ANY reason, I'll then need to complete a TM8 (Application for re-entry) prior to leaving.

Many Thanks Lopburi,

I was hoping you would reply as your replies appear to be the most succinct and helpful.

You've put my mind fully at rest. "The visa itself does not have to be valid."

Sorry, I should have been clearer (I was just using the month/year) - my visa was issued 19th Feb 2010, and "must be used before 19th Feb 2011". My curent permission to stay is 18th March 2011.

So I apply for a 365 day extension, for reason of retirement, and I assume I need to report to immigration every 90 days thereafter? And if I want to leave Thailand for ANY reason, I'll then need to complete a TM8 (Application for re-entry) prior to leaving.

Beware if you are dealing with the Nan office of immigration, the young captain there wants a map of where you live, a medical certificate, money in the bank (via bank book)(even if you have the correct monthly income) a copy of your partners details (ID card, house book etc) and finally the receipt of payment for the embassy stamp on your documents....by the way, something dropped on the floor,say ฿1,000, wont go astray either! I'm not the only one!:bah: