Driving Direction From Chiang Mai To Mae Sot

sunnyhor

Hi,

anyone here have the experience of driving from Chiang Mai to Mae Sot ? Kindly share the valuable experience. I'm planning to drive there but tried google for directions, none exists. I was wondering about the total distance in km, the total time of drive, what attractions there? Do and Don't. Appreciate for reading and hope someone can provide me the answer. Cheers to all in thaivisa!! :rolleyes:

Very easy drive. Take highway 11 to Lampang, then highway 1 to Tak, hang a right over the mountains to Mae Sot. The last hour over the mountains is the most arduous. Presently upgrading parts of the road over the mountains but the whole trip shouldn't take much more than 4 hours.

The road between Lampang and Tak can be a little rough at times but isn't too bad.

There is a more scenic route by way of Mae Sariang and then follow the Burmese border down south but this will take alot longer.

Use Google Maps http://maps.google.com/ for directions (use 'Mae Sod Boundary Post Tha Sai Luat Mae Sot Tak Thailand' as destination), it's about 420 - 470km depending upon the route.

Not done it myself so someone else will have to provide on the ground reports.

Very true but if he is new to google map he needs to check all the right boxes in the search (landmarks, hotels etc if he wants these landmarks) and then click on the "directions" on the search menu. The purple map will be shown and then he can print it out too.

Also "GPS's are very cheap now and are GREAT to have anywhere in Thailand.

Very easy drive. Take highway 11 to Lampang, then highway 1 to Tak, hang a right over the mountains to Mae Sot. The last hour over the mountains is the most arduous. Presently upgrading parts of the road over the mountains but the whole trip shouldn't take much more than 4 hours.

The road between Lampang and Tak can be a little rough at times but isn't too bad.

There is a more scenic route by way of Mae Sariang and then follow the Burmese border down south but this will take alot longer.

Thanks for the advice mate. Will print this out. Anyway, is it very attractive in Tak and Mae Sot, just want to have some fun driving to a not so well known province. Any tips will be appreciate. I have a GPS but off road is the main issue. It cannot detect any satellite. How if I skip passing Lampang? Will it be more distance to drive?

Really you only have two options, the Lampang, Tak, Mae Sot route on Highways 11, 1 and 105 or Mae Sariang, Mae Sot on Highways 108 and 105.

Both are easy and drivable without GPS, just don't turn off the main road and if memory serves me right are a little over 300 k's.

Really you only have two options, the Lampang, Tak, Mae Sot route on Highways 11, 1 and 105 or Mae Sariang, Mae Sot on Highways 108 and 105.

Both are easy and drivable without GPS, just don't turn off the main road and if memory serves me right are a little over 300 k's.

As long as we're offerring up the longer option to Mae Sot via Mae Sariang, there are 3 ways to get to Mae Sariang:

1. Direct via Hot

2. Chom Thong - Mae Chaem - then south to Mae Sariang

3. Chom Thong - Mae Chaem - then west to Khun Yuam and then south to Mae Sariang

All are beautiful but will take all day. Narrow, twisty mountain roads and sections of Hiway 105 are in pretty bad shape.

As long as we're offerring up the longer option to Mae Sot via Mae Sariang, there are 3 ways to get to Mae Sariang:

1. Direct via Hot

2. Chom Thong - Mae Chaem - then south to Mae Sariang

3. Chom Thong - Mae Chaem - then west to Khun Yuam and then south to Mae Sariang

All are beautiful but will take all day. Narrow, twisty mountain roads and sections of Hiway 105 are in pretty bad shape.

Very important to book accommodation ahead in Mae Sot. The town is full of NGOs and is not bursting with beds. The Mae Sariang option is much prettier. The road is in reasonable shape, with some rough sections.

Personally I would stick to the Tak route as I have been turned aorund by the military on the other road, dependant on neighbourly relations of course. There is a reasonably good hotel in Mae Sot. You can then try driving to Umphang, the other road out of Mae Sot. Thats interesting.

<br />Personally I would stick to the Tak route as I have been turned aorund by the military on the other road, dependant on neighbourly relations of course.  There is a reasonably good hotel in Mae Sot.  You can then try driving to Umphang, the other road out of Mae Sot.  Thats interesting.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

This seems like good advice, especially with the Thai-Burma border situation at present.

But if you DO choose the Mae Sariang option, it IS very beautiful and half way down the old main street of MS there is an oustanding Thai restaurant.

It's on the left of the long straight downhill part and has a new-ish glass front these days. Sorry, don't have the name, but good enough (and cheap enough) to easily justify a stop.