After 15 Years In Thailand And Going Back To The Us

KRS1

Pantip crushes Fry's when it comes to computers and cameras. For TV's any big shopping mall in Bangkok is also on par with Fry's selection.

(I am not stalking you, honest! :)

You are welcome to your opinion, but Pantip cannot hold a candle to Frys. I was just in Pantip two weeks ago to get some PS3 games. Other than pirated versions, the selection was tiny and expensive. Computers were off brands at expensive prices. There were more knicknacks at Pantip, but Frys had much better and less expensive quality goods.

On every trip back to the US, I get "orders" from friends for iPads and iPhones. Yes, I now get the iphones via ebay, but even at Verizon without the contract, they are much cheaper. Macs are much cheaper, too.

Stalker ! :)

You cannot be serious, Pantip as well as fortune on Ratchada have a ton of more products on offerring than Fry's ever will regarding laptops and cameras. 4 floors.

Im really starting to doubt your credibility because anyone that has been to Panthip can see that. Apart from this there are brands that are for sale in Thailand that you would never see in the states. Quality goods? everything is made in Asia !

Apart from iPads and iPhones what else do you get orders for? ;)

Have you ever been in a Fry's store? I've spent many days in both...Pantip had lots of pirated software, duplicate stuff, and used gear. IMHO, no comparison. Pantip has some good stuff for sure...but just not in the same league.

Again, have you ever been in a Fry's store?

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pantip crushes Fry's when it comes to computers and cameras. For TV's any big shopping mall in Bangkok is also on par with Fry's selection.

You are welcome to your opinion, but Pantip cannot hold a candle to Frys. I was just in Pantip two weeks ago to get some PS3 games. Other than pirated versions, the selection was tiny and expensive. Computers were off brands at expensive prices. There were more knicknacks at Pantip, but Frys had much better and less expensive quality goods.

On every trip back to the US, I get "orders" from friends for iPads and iPhones. Yes, I now get the iphones via ebay, but even at Verizon without the contract, they are much cheaper. Macs are much cheaper, too.

You cannot be serious, Pantip as well as fortune on Ratchada have a ton of more products on offerring than Fry's ever will regarding laptops and cameras. 4 floors.

Im really starting to doubt your credibility because anyone that has been to Panthip can see that. Apart from this there are brands that are for sale in Thailand that you would never see in the states. Quality goods? everything is made in Asia !

For electronics, that and Blackberries are about it. Of course, I bring in much more, usually cosmetics-type stuff and EmergenC (and my own food.)

Pantip has much more in numbers, to be sure. But not more in quality and price of the quality items. Much of the Pantip stuff is junk, to be honest, and much more might be servicable, but hardly brand name. They are thrown together by small shops.

The US has some of those type shops as well, but not at Fry's. Fry's has better prices for the brand-name gear.

Have you ever been in a Fry's store? I've spent many days in both...Pantip had lots of pirated software, duplicate stuff, and used gear. IMHO, no comparison. Pantip has some good stuff for sure...but just not in the same league.

Again, have you ever been in a Fry's store?

Of course ive been into Fry's i was going to get a Lenovo laptop there until i really started to check out the specs, it was stripped down just for sale at Fry's and was missing the HDMI port.

Take away the coffee shop, book department, the 20 cash registers that only have 4 open, the 3 return counters that no one ever uses, and that section by checkout that has nothing to do with electronics and the store shrinks down dramatically.

I still say Fry's has less to offer than Pantip and Fortune Ratchada though. I can't see how you guys can possible think Fry's has more of a laptop and digital camera selection than Panthip and Fortune.

Maybe thats it, Im just comparing laptops and cameras.

What is it you say is thrown together by small shops? Desktop computers? An experienced small shop gives better parts, performance and price than what you would have to pay if you were to be fooled into believing a major name brand was better. If you do your due diligence then its easy to piece together parts that will last a very long time.

I have never met anyone with an HP laptop that didn't break after a year. Namebrands - don't let the name fool you.

Edited by KRS1

You'd have to be totally clueless to think that shopping for electronics is better in Thailand than the USA. May I introduce you to Amazon Dot Com and NewEgg Dot Com?

Yup.

Trying to get a new camera right now. Fortunately I've only to go as far as Khon Kaen (about 2hr30min) . . . IF . . . the shop returns my email asking if they have it in stock. All they've done so far is raise the online price the day after I sent the email. :lol: Took three weeks last time to do an online purchase, including two trips to the bank!

Oh I do so miss ebay. Sad and pathetic I know.

I will tell you one thing that I loathe about Thailand - shorts worn under skirts. There is always that moment of hope going up an escalator, but alas, more dissatisfaction.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yup. A silky red short dress covering those long golden legs... only to see a pair of blue jeans shorts tucked underneath. It's a damm shame I tell you. :P

Edited by IanForbes

C'mon be honest with yourself and others...ask ONE question, if it weren't for the women would you be here??

Of course you would not...Yes, I know you came for the chiz but then fell in love with "Thai culture," pleeeese...give me a break...

I live in the Asoke area, one of the "nicer" areas of BKK, well, if you can call any place in BKK "nice," with the exception of Nichida Thani, and I still say that all American middle class areas are nicer and CLEANER then Asoke, Thong Lo, etc...better infrastructure, what have you...they just don't take care of things here...

Today had the misfortune of having to travel to Pinklao...never a fun journey and what a hole...anyone that would rather live there then in the US should have their head examined...unless of course it is for the chix...still is, always was, and always will be...if they disappeared why would you stay???

I still say Fry's has less to offer than Pantip and Fortune Ratchada though. I can't see how you guys can possible think Fry's has more of a laptop and digital camera selection than Panthip and Fortune.

What is it you say is thrown together by small shops? Desktop computers? An experienced small shop gives better parts, performance and price than what you would have to pay if you were to be fooled into believing a major name brand was better. If you do your due diligence then its easy to piece together parts that will last a very long time.

I have never met anyone with an HP laptop that didn't break after a year. Namebrands - don't let the name fool you.

My HP Pavilion is three years old and counting.

I have had both brand name ans small shop-constructed computers. While it is possible to construct a good computer in a small shop, not many do it. The tendency, as I have experienced, is to use lower-end components. But the main drawback is service. With a Dell, HP, or whatever, service is 24/7. And if something needs to be changed, they come to your home or office within a day. A small shop just cannot provide the same service.

Pantip certainly has more computers than Fry's. But not more computers that I would buy. But if you want to keep insisting that Pantip is the Mecca of electronics, have at it. I find your opinion puzzling, but it is no skin off my nose one way or the other.

Many posters here have given concrete, factual ways in which the US is ahead of Thailand technology-wise, (4G, internet connectivity, tv, etc.) These are not really open to subjectivity. These are pretty much facts. But if you want to boil this down to Pantip vs Fry's, and you insist that Pantip is superior, then there is not much anyone can write here.

I have a shop built computer and get super fast service with the vendor sometimes showing up within hours of my phone call. The last time I called him on a Saturday afternoon. He picked up the computer Sunday morning and returned it Sunday afternoon. Same thing with our auto mechanic. Then again this is a rural community where poor service will lose you most of your customers.

I have had both brand name ans small shop-constructed computers. While it is possible to construct a good computer in a small shop, not many do it. The tendency, as I have experienced, is to use lower-end components. But the main drawback is service. With a Dell, HP, or whatever, service is 24/7. And if something needs to be changed, they come to your home or office within a day. A small shop just cannot provide the same service.

Pantip certainly has more computers than Fry's. But not more computers that I would buy. But if you want to keep insisting that Pantip is the Mecca of electronics, have at it. I find your opinion puzzling, but it is no skin off my nose one way or the other.

Many posters here have given concrete, factual ways in which the US is ahead of Thailand technology-wise, (4G, internet connectivity, tv, etc.) These are not really open to subjectivity. These are pretty much facts. But if you want to boil this down to Pantip vs Fry's, and you insist that Pantip is superior, then there is not much anyone can write here.

Like i said, get off the cookie cutter internet promotions and get a good business account and it will be fast enough. Cable TV with 200 stations and nothing too watch but infomercials doesn't turn me on in the least bit.

Im not a sheep and dont have the urge to upgrade whenever something new comes out just to have it. Never wanted an iPhone, too heavy to carry in my pocket. iPads are useless and can't multitask, might as well get a laptop.

Like i said, get off the cookie cutter internet promotions and get a good business account and it will be fast enough. Cable TV with 200 stations and nothing too watch but infomercials doesn't turn me on in the least bit.

Im not a sheep and dont have the urge to upgrade whenever something new comes out just to have it. Never wanted an iPhone, too heavy to carry in my pocket. iPads are useless and can't multitask, might as well get a laptop.

Actually, I have a good business account here in Thailand, and my simple US cable account is far superior in both speed and service.

And whether you like 200 channels or not is not the issue. That is a matter of taste, and if you think Thai soaps and the few channels True offers at a high cost are better, that is taste, not technology. The fact is that 200 sat channels with many being HD beamed directly into your house without problem is a higher technology than what is available in Thailand. Just because you don't like what is being offered does not alter that fact.

I think many things in Thailand are superior, at least for me, than in the US. Last night, for example, after working out and with my muscles blasted, I was able to get a pretty darn good massage for about $8 (which speeds up the recovery time of the exercise session), then get some delicious street food and fresh mandarin juice for about $6. Can't do that in the US.

But your contentions that the US is behind Thailand in technology is factually incorrect, as so many people have pointed out to you. In most areas, the US is near the top if not is the top of the technology ladder. Thailand just isn't there. And your contention that things like drivers are better in Thailand is pretty silly, too, no matter what definition of "better" is used. And that does not even go into food quality (not taste, quality), breadth of food choices, police, cinema, housing quality, etc.

Actually, I have a good business account here in Thailand, and my simple US cable account is far superior in both speed and service.

And whether you like 200 channels or not is not the issue. That is a matter of taste, and if you think Thai soaps and the few channels True offers at a high cost are better, that is taste, not technology. The fact is that 200 sat channels with many being HD beamed directly into your house without problem is a higher technology than what is available in Thailand. Just because you don't like what is being offered does not alter that fact.

I think many things in Thailand are superior, at least for me, than in the US. Last night, for example, after working out and with my muscles blasted, I was able to get a pretty darn good massage for about $8 (which speeds up the recovery time of the exercise session), then get some delicious street food and fresh mandarin juice for about $6. Can't do that in the US.

But your contentions that the US is behind Thailand in technology is factually incorrect, as so many people have pointed out to you. In most areas, the US is near the top if not is the top of the technology ladder. Thailand just isn't there. And your contention that things like drivers are better in Thailand is pretty silly, too, no matter what definition of "better" is used. And that does not even go into food quality (not taste, quality), breadth of food choices, police, cinema, housing quality, etc.

Ah, you're no fun, bonobo. You are ruining a perfectly good debate by using facts. B)

I wonder if some of you are missing the point. Firstly, we know the facts. America is the only superpower left in the world. It is also the wealthiest. America's GDP alone is practically the same as the entire EU combined. We EXPECT America to be the most technologically advanced and I'd say that it is. But what of the quality of life for the average American? Is there a wealth gap? Education gap? How about health care? What sorts of stuff really matters at the individual level?

There is corruption in America. At the highest levels. It's just much more sophisticated. I'm sure many here know that the financial crisis originated in the US, i.e., CDO's, credit default swaps and so on. Crime? Large cities in America are far more dangerous than, say, Chiang Mai or Bangkok. Racism? Ask an Hispanic or African American if there's still racism in America. Driving? Very subjective, but I honestly prefer driving in Thailand to the US. It's more about common sense here, rather than constantly looking over your shoulders for cops who will tag you for the most minor infraction. Affordable dining? No competition. If you like Thai food, it's the best around at the best prices. Housing? Not condos, now, but houses. You get more for what you pay for here. Do they even make brick homes in America anymore? Internet? Well the US has got us on high-speed access, but Thailand is catching up. Cable TV? How many channels do you need? In my last US stay, I was paying US$100/month for cable. I could use more American sports on True Visions, but then our non-American farangs will probably complain. Healthcare, including dental? I can actually get darn good medical care in Thailand and pay cash for it. Can't do it in the US without some sort of insurance or subsidy. Politics? Democrats vs Republicans is more childish and absurd than reds vs yellows, I assure you. The ladies? Well, that one's also subjective.

But what of the quality of life for the average American? Is there a wealth gap? Education gap? How about health care? What sorts of stuff really matters at the individual level?

The quality of life for the average American living in America is way better than the average Thai living in Thailand.

I would say that life in Thailand for Western expats living on a Western wage would be better than back home, but you certainly can't prove that from all the whining and complaining every day on Thai Visa. :blink:

Edited by Ulysses G.

The quality of life for the average American living in America is way better than the average Thai living in Thailand.

I would agree and personally speaking I had a good life in the US and left (there) to travel. I have always intended to return home and maybe split my time between a "home" base in the US and a few months in Thailand/Philippines.

Any way, it's a matter of personal opinion so if some posters have a negative view of returning home, there is not much any one can say here to persuade them otherwise.

For such a "bad" place there are millions of people still trying to migrate there :D

But what of the quality of life for the average American? Is there a wealth gap? Education gap? How about health care? What sorts of stuff really matters at the individual level?

I would say that life in Thailand for Western expats living on a Western wage would be better than back home, but you certainly can't prove that from all the whining and complaining every day on Thai Visa. :blink:

You're no fun either, George. Everyone likes a good whinge now and then. What else is there to do between visits with pretty ladies?

Oh, sorry, not everyone likes pretty ladies. B)

12 pages, and I have come to the conclusion that an awful lot of American men must be shopaholics.

I always wonder what the hell it is that one needs to make such a big deal out of it. Do you guys spend all of your time off in malls? :huh:

I'd agree on day to day aspects with the exception of the whole 'temporary' frame that it all exists in because of the lopsided labor and property ownership laws. I'd imagine it takes a more 'all or nothing' type edge the older one gets as well. Locals have better access to reset buttons on life. Back home (in the US) you still see plenty of senior citizens supplementing their income working in the same jobs that teenagers are working (sacking groceries, bank tellers, waiting tables, giving tennis lessons, etc.)... so it's 'relatively nice quality of life sans plan B.'

Both sides of the ocean can be great when you have other options as well. Less so if you don't.

:)

Edited by Heng

12 pages, and I have come to the conclusion that an awful lot of American men must be shopaholics.

I always wonder what the hell it is that one needs to make such a big deal out of it. Do you guys spend all of your time off in malls? :huh:

It is a matter of economics. I can't speak for Americans shopping in America but I go to malls in Thailand to meet women without paying bar fines.

I used to go to bars but since the strengthening of the Baht I have had to cut back. Malls are a good alternative.

While walking around the place one gets an idea of prices and such.

The best time to go is late at night when the grocery store marks everything down. Get a bag of marked down food and a bottle of Thai whiskey and sit out side when all the employees leave with a big smile on your face.

Edited by mark45y

I wonder if some of you are missing the point. Firstly, we know the facts. America is the only superpower left in the world. It is also the wealthiest. America's GDP alone is practically the same as the entire EU combined. We EXPECT America to be the most technologically advanced and I'd say that it is. But what of the quality of life for the average American? Is there a wealth gap? Education gap? How about health care? What sorts of stuff really matters at the individual level?

There is corruption in America. At the highest levels. It's just much more sophisticated. I'm sure many here know that the financial crisis originated in the US, i.e., CDO's, credit default swaps and so on. Crime? Large cities in America are far more dangerous than, say, Chiang Mai or Bangkok. Racism? Ask an Hispanic or African American if there's still racism in America. Driving? Very subjective, but I honestly prefer driving in Thailand to the US. It's more about common sense here, rather than constantly looking over your shoulders for cops who will tag you for the most minor infraction. Affordable dining? No competition. If you like Thai food, it's the best around at the best prices. Housing? Not condos, now, but houses. You get more for what you pay for here. Do they even make brick homes in America anymore? Internet? Well the US has got us on high-speed access, but Thailand is catching up. Cable TV? How many channels do you need? In my last US stay, I was paying US$100/month for cable. I could use more American sports on True Visions, but then our non-American farangs will probably complain. Healthcare, including dental? I can actually get darn good medical care in Thailand and pay cash for it. Can't do it in the US without some sort of insurance or subsidy. Politics? Democrats vs Republicans is more childish and absurd than reds vs yellows, I assure you. The ladies? Well, that one's also subjective.

It's the cultural differences which count. People are a lot ruder in the United States. They talk loud, as if they can't communicate without shouting. It's a real chore to find anybody thin there anymore because everyone is obese. And I swear the country does not make young people anymore. At least not from the area of the country I lived in.

Thailand is far more pleasant. Americans like to show off their high GDP per capita numbers, but in the end they really don't have much to show for it. The healthcare system sucks. The school system sucks. The cities are all ghettos. Wages are crap. Fat people everywhere. Cost of living is sky high.

Seems Thais know how to live far better on the money they do have.

It's the cultural differences which count. People are a lot ruder in the United States. They talk loud, as if they can't communicate without shouting. It's a real chore to find anybody thin there anymore because everyone is obese. And I swear the country does not make young people anymore. At least not from the area of the country I lived in.

Thailand is far more pleasant. Americans like to show off their high GDP per capita numbers, but in the end they really don't have much to show for it. The healthcare system sucks. The school system sucks. The cities are all ghettos. Wages are crap. Fat people everywhere. Cost of living is sky high.

Since you are an expert I feel it is only fair I ask how long did you live in the US, when and where?

And you are missing the point. Not too many posters are here saying the USA is the end all. What most posters are saying is the when the OP compares Thailand has having pretty much everything better than the US, then he was mistaken. From technology (an easy thing to quantify), to schools (based on student achievement) to more subjective things, (San Diego is far less a "ghetto" than Bangkok or Korat, as are most American cities), the US fairs quite well on most of the things the OP decried.

Is the US more obese than Thailand? Sure. (Although except for health care costs and quality of life, why do you think it is necessary to use "fat" as a pejorative like that?) Can you find cheaper eats in Thailand? Sure. Do many people like their quality of life in Thailand? Sure. And when comparing schools, while the US lags in public education behind many other countries, it does not lag Thailand. But most of the contentions of the OP when comparing the US to Thailand were either flat out wrong or subject to weird interpretation.

The US is not heaven on earth, and most Americans living in Thailand will be the first to attest to that. But that should not keep people from voicing their opinion when someone here makes outlandish claims.

??? I would say folks in BKK are FAR ruder then in Ft Worth, TX....Thais smile, but that does not really mean anything...they don't hold the door for each other, they will run over you when driving and have very little regard for you and will be rude unless it makes them lose face...Yes, in the US people are FAT...if you have money the US healthcare system is the best in the world...if you live in the right area the schools are great...if you are poor it sucks, but it sucks to be poor anywhere...at least when you lose your job in America you have a bit of a safety net...

Ghettos? As I said in an earlier posting...even most poor areas in the US are cleaner then the nicest parts of Bangkok...

I think this discussion is going about itself the wrong way. There are several types of expats. One is those come for religious studies and I believe we can safely leave out of the discussion. Another is those who came to work for a foreign firm and probably don't have the time to get into such an extended debate. That leaves those who come retired (and have all their time left to debate) and those who have families with locals.

I'm going to include those who would prefer to retire, but can not due to draconian laws and therefore work as a teacher or something, along with retirees. These are people who have worked their lives in the West and come to Thailand for their own reasons. Having not been raised in Thailand I would presume they initially saw it as something foreign and exciting. The USD going a long way sure helped their lives, but the trials and tribulations of perhaps raising their families behind them a certain rose coloured glasses syndrome now affects their life view. Who can blame them? They've worked their butts off, managed to save, and are now simply relaxing. Sure, some of them are lecherous old men who are by their own admissions peeping Toms, but if they want to find the cheapest food and most desperately poor ladies to fill the apparent voids in their lives than in the grand scheme of things who does it hurt? The women have access to more money and food that would have been a cost to the stores turns into a slight profit if not at least a non-loss.

The other group is those who are raising families. Usually these guys (and gals) are those who are more realistic about the situation on ground. They are looking past the patina of civility that seems to coat everything and rightly compare what Thailand has to offer versus what the States has. To even propose that Thailand's educational system is comparable to the States is a delusion that borders onto criminal insanity. Sure there is the need of the parents to be involved in their children's education, but to think that even paying, what a million THB a year?, for an education will only result in a mediocre one compared to what's available in the States is a bit absurd. And while there is that salient point that the need to move to get into a good district does put a dent into that argument, there is the exact same argument for Thailand's inferior schooling system.

The other costs are similar. A point that I have not seen covered is that those proposing that Thailand is cheaper are looking at it from a Western wealth viewpoint. Minimum wage in the States is 7,25 USD...per hour. Thailand has a minimum daily wage of 6,87 USD (only in Bangkok). Working a 40 hour week in the States is the same as 43 days in Thailand; and you know that 208 THB isn't for 8 hour days. So why aren't expats who want to compare cost do so directly. If they want to talk about how their money goes so far in LOS, do the math and multiply their bank account (or retirement cheque) by ~8 and see where they'd like to live more.

The US is not heaven on earth, and most Americans living in Thailand will be the first to attest to that. But that should not keep people from voicing their opinion when someone here makes outlandish claims.

Exactly! :ermm:

Yeah.. but are people allowed to disagree with that?

I fully recognise the sentiment the OP showed. While you can factually argue with some of the examples, it can be mighty tough when you have to (through circumstances) spend significant time away from Thailand again.

We must all agree with that to some degree, after all, otherwise we wouldn't be here.