Liveability Of A Large Cc Bike In Thailand

submaniac

Ok, recent thread discussions have made me think about the real life liveability of a large cc motorcycle in Thailand. Everybody wants a fast large cc sport bike, or the Kwak 650. I know alot of people on this forum own large cc bikes, so let's see what the thoughts and opinions of people are. My experience is owning the CBR1000RR in the States, and the FZR 400 in Thailand. In the States, the CBR is wonderful. People in California cruise along at 90mph+, and when they change lange in front of you on the freeway, having so much power on tap is not only fun but almost a safety feature. In Thailand, I am really thinking that having such a powerful bike is not really that useful or fun. Unless you are out in the rural areas (me I am primarily in BKK) there isn't that much empty road to really carve. Even on the empty roads, you run the risk of chickens and dogs running out in front of you. The supremacy of a litebike is kind of useless as they are not allowed on the freeways so there really isn't much point having that much displacement. I love hitting the high RPMS, and the FZR can do it at reasonable speeds. The literbike, on the other hand, redlines in FIRST gear at over 100 mph so I really can't get the thrill of making a Japanese inline four howl.

When I retire, I would love to bring in the CBR, or have another literbike in Thailand but even then it wouldn't be more than an occasional toy. The CBR is a nimble, fairly light weight (for a literbike) motorcycle (it is only about 20 lbs more than the 600cc). But to go around the streets of Bangkok, it still would be a (albeit manageable) pain to manuever it in and out of traffic (like I would probably be outrun and outmanuevered by the Finos). The FZR 400 is a really light weight (155kg) and nimble bike. But even then, for trips to 7-11 or Tesco, it's still a bit of a (manageable) pain to manuever compared to the small 110cc scooters. I think that the 400cc Japanese import bikes (FZR'S, CBR'S, VFR'S), are probably all anyone would really need in terms of power in Thailand. And they also offer the tradeoff between maneuverability and power.

So guys, whaddya think? Wanna share your opinions or thoughts of having a big bike in Thailand?

Edited by submaniac

In Bangkok they're a waste of time IMO. Too big, too heavy, too hot. Once you get out of Bangkok I think you can use the power if you choose the right time and I find having that extra acceleration to pull yourself away from the traffic, tailgating Fortuners etc. can sometimes make things safer. I used to get a bit frustrated on the 250, it's great in Bangkok but once the roads open up there's not enough there.

I've haven't ridden a litrebike since I've been here but my memory of riding friends 1000cc bikes was that they were just too much bike for me, I could ride them easily enough but I couldn't thrash them so I found them less fun than 600's. These were 2002-2004 models and from what I hear the very latest models are even more insane. A supersport 600 is just right for me, fast but not stupidly fast. For me it needs to be treated as a weekend toy though, I never use it during the week and to be honest I feel a bit stupid riding it through Bangkok traffic and parking it between Honda Waves at the 711.

I had a 2,300cc Triumph Rocket 3 here and found it to be the most ideal bike I have ever had. It gave me more smiles per mile than any other bike I have had and that's a lot of bikes. I could jump on it to nip into town to go to the market or I could load her up for a 1000 km road trip. She was comfortable in town and the torque I had at the twist of the throttle gave me huge acceleration when needed and perfect cruising or town speeds no problem.

Having had many a sports bike back home I can honestly say I would never have one here to ride apart from maybe a track day bike. I was offered a very cheap R1 the other day without a book which would make an ideal track bike and no having to go through the nightmare of trying to get it registered. If I can persuade the missus to let me have another bike then the Rocket would be first choice if not maybe a BMW R1250 or similar. ;):D

I use the big bike for rides, for pleasure, but it isnt day to day..

I have a scoot for the 7/11 run... But being just a few kms out of town I kinda want a small size easy ride bike, that I dont feel the need to be all protective geared up every time, for popping in and out of town on. As yet I havent found that compromise.

If I had t have one bike and one bike only.. It would be a pcx or a maxi scoot. Simply as I use a scoot so much and need to have some carry space.

For track days and road trips I love my Gixxer.

I never ride it in Bangkok.

Big bikes suck in traffic, don't care if it's a Harley, and Rice Burner or a Goldwing, I can't think of any reason to ride a big bike in a big polluted city like Bangkok.

For anyone who says a liter bike is too powerful for Thai roads, I suggest you get out more- there are quite a few FANTASTIC sport bike roads in Thailand blessed by perfect blacktop, no traffic and no cops-

Ride On!

Tony

Edited by BigBikeBKK

Riding a 1000cc in Bkk is a great way to exercise your body and also a perfect way to practise your balance and throttle control :D (and it is truly awesome hitting innercity Bangkok at 4.30 in the morning!).

I have never understood people saying a liter bike is too big for Thailand. I actually heard the above poster (Tony) stating the same before he bought himself a K6 and this leads me to believe most people saying something like this have never tried riding a 1000cc in either Bangkok or the rest of Thailand...

Whatever.. if you are used to a big bike anywhere else. Don't let the general "idea" of the Thai traffic situation intimidate your from buying an equally big bike here.

/Dunder

Edited by dunder

Riding a 1000cc in Bkk is a great way to exercise your body and also a perfect way to practise your balance and throttle control :D (and it is truly awesome hitting innercity Bangkok at 4.30 in the morning!).

I have never understood people saying a liter bike is too big for Thailand. I actually heard the above poster (Tony) stating the same before he bought himself a K6 and this leads me to believe most people saying something like this have never tried riding a 1000cc in either Bangkok or the rest of Thailand...

Whatever.. if you are used to a big bike anywhere else. Don't let the general "idea" of the Thai traffic situation intimidate your from buying an equally big bike here.

/Dunder

I wouldn't say a 1000cc is too big for Thailand, there's loads of long empty roads and I'd admit that sometimes my 600 feels a bit buzzy when you ride quick for long periods. I'd definitely say 1000cc was too big for Bangkok though, maybe not at 4.30am but I'm not normally riding at that time - even if I was I think the 600 would be quick enough.

The problem with big bikes in Bangkok is the turning circle is too wide to get through stationary traffic, doesn't matter how fit you are or how well you can control the clutch - the bars only turn so far and changing lanes between the front of one stationary car and the back of another can be a pain in the ass. Much easier on a smaller bike. Once you get out of Bangkok though, big bikes rule biggrin.gif

The problem with big bikes in Bangkok is the turning circle is too wide to get through stationary traffic, doesn't matter how fit you are or how well you can control the clutch - the bars only turn so far and changing lanes between the front of one stationary car and the back of another can be a pain in the ass. Much easier on a smaller bike. Once you get out of Bangkok though, big bikes rule

What do I hear about bike bikes turning radius? Seems like just a matter of skill after all :D

I don't know about BKK but no problems with a 650 in Chiang Mai. Going through stationary traffic ... the occasions where a narrower bike could go somewhere I can't are very, very rare. On the other hand, the Versys can climb up and down sidewalks - pretty handy at times ;)

Yep awesome skills on that video, although leaning a bike like that going through a 2 foot gap between the back of a bus and the front of a cement truck might not be such a great idea (especially with the girlfriend on the back) ph34r.gif. Think I'll stick with the KSR for downtown smile.gif

I often think that the lads on big sport bikes look like Galahs in the traffic mix on Beach Rd or Second Rd. Why do they bother?

I actually had to look that up and now I know you're Australian...

you could share with us so I don't have to look that up either. :P

I often think that the lads on big sport bikes look like Galahs in the traffic mix on Beach Rd or Second Rd. Why do they bother?

I actually had to look that up and now I know you're Australian...

you could share with us so I don't have to look that up either. :P

It's a bird found in Australia

Eolophus_roseicapilla_AF.jpg

Edited by dave_boo

Too bad you didn't post it up BEFORE I looked it up. :(

Yep, totally horrible that I wasn't hitting F5 in a bid to share that wealth of information with people who can't type "galah" in google..... :jap:

Edited by dave_boo

Too bad you didn't post it up BEFORE I looked it up. :(

Yep, totally horrible that I wasn't hitting F5 in a bid to share that wealth of information with people who can't type "galah" in google..... :jap:

I accept your apology.

:D

Thank you very much kind mastah, thank you.:unsure:

I thrashed about on the issue quite a bit before the Versys arrived, since I knew I wanted that kind of bike for outside the city, and my only inner-city experience has been with rented scooters. I just wasn't sure about a bigger bike's maneuverability in Bangkok traffic. Turns out I've been pleasantly surprised at just how easy it is to get around, and I live in a notoriously dense traffic area at the north end of town. My quest for the ideal scooter has gone on the far back burner. With over 6000 k on the odometer in the two months since I got it, and about a third of that in downtown Bangkok, no regrets.

For every (rare) tight spot that the 650 can't get through, there's another one that the higher handlebars and mirrors let me through where the scooters are stuck. Turning radius is rarely an issue and as for gaps between rolling cars, let's just say the extra power opens up options. It also allows access to the large open spaces ahead of the pack after the light turns green, and so at least temporarily into a safer place.

I've also become a big fan of the klong bridges for reasons anyone with a bigger bike and long suspension probably can guess.

I would not feel as good on the Suzuki DL1000 liter bike I keep back in the U.S., since weight and top-heaviness would just make it too much work, but the Versys is no sweat, plus, as nikster mentioned, it's nice to sproing off a curb without having to go all the way down to the corner ramp.

You do get more stares at the stoplights, but a lot of times that turns into interesting conversations, though you have to get past the inevitable first question: "How much?"

I only have the Kwacker 650, which is a downgrade from what I had in the States, but I live for it, I love it, my truck stays parked. The roads here are wonderful and the biggest part of the wonder is no stinking f*cking US style cops to hassle you, ruin your day, raise your insurance rates and cost you your license. Yes, riding a big bike here is the ticket.

That said, I pretty much avoid BKK like the plague.

Just as a point of reference: Ducati 999 commuter/trackday junkie in the US, now an NSR 150sp owner in LOS.

I don't think riding a big sportbike regularly in BKK would be any fun, with the necessarily limited lock-to-lock steering restrictions to clear fairings; and then there's the serious overkill in the engine department.

The NSR turns out to be a nice compromise as it has increased lock-to-lock to go with its relatively conservative ergonomics & steering geometry, so it can thread thru all but the tightest construction zone BKK traffic along with the scooters - BUT just barely. It will hopefully still be track-worthy as I installed new aftermarket suspension & raised ride height to quicken the steering geometry. NExt up will be a sticky set of dual compound shoes. Who's got the best price on sportbike rubber?

Anybody have motard BKK commuting experience they want to share? That may be the sweet spot for city/country riding, with narrower handlebars & mirrors.

Just got back from Korat where I stayed for four days around thirty minutes South of Nakhon Ratchasima. We used a taxi. The whole time going and returning I was analyzing what it would be like doing this trip by motorcycle. Both the taxi driver and my gf pointed out that it was far safer using the narrow bike lane on the left than trying to mix it up with cars in the regular traffic lanes where even our taxi driver often commented on the many crazy Thai drivers. An example is where we'd have a three lane stretch of highway and one lane is designated as the passing lane by a yellow line. Our taxi driver would often be yelling at the stupidity of Thai drivers using the lane that had been designated for the traffic flowing the same direction we were going but who were driving head on towards us. Many Thai drivers don't know the difference or could care less if they do and this is just one example. I'd feel really out of place driving anything larger than a scooter in the narrow motorcycle lane, and if I moved up to a bike capable of running with the traffic, I'd really feel at the mercy of such psychopathic nitwits. Now once i got close to my ultimate destination where the traffic was light and relatively slow, I think having a larger bike would be a blast. If I had to live out there in those boonies I'd have a 250 to a 650 size machine and I'd use it a lot. But I view the getting there about like having to run the gauntlet of going through a meat grinder

Or you could live 55 kilometers outside of Chiang Rai and drive on nothing but country roads all the time. Over 9600 km since June and only a few 500 km rides to Chiang Mai. Mainly just fun rides into town to see friends and enjoy the roads and scenery. I love my Ninja 650r. :)

Had RSV back home but now have Honda Bros. I agree it seems OK around BKK. I get everywhere scooters do and first off from the lights though I cook in the summer. Some great roads once you get away from the city. But hopefully will upgrade to secondhand Verseys when available- Anyone?

I think a good compromise of power, usability and price.

I wouldn't want to ride a litre bike in Bangkok unless I was was getting out of there.

It's a shame they cannot use the toll ways.

I would think only bikes similar to Wave's or the small Scooter's type's are more than adequate.

Not really about the cc of the bike but about the style of bike that makes it suitable for traffice etc. Plus different people have differnt comfort levels.. What is an acceptable compromise for some isn't okay for others..

For me I thought my KTM 950 SM was just about perfect for Thailand.. Great in town, super balance, great turning circle, agile and fast when necessary. Plus it had the legs to do longer trips comfortably. The KTM 640Lc4 SM I had previously was just as good in town but wasn't as capable on a long run.. The upright riding position and long travel suspension of a supermoto or big cc enduro is perfect for city riding.

drop bars and fairing mean outright sports bikes aren't as practical but if you ride the bike often enough even these can be comfortable and usable.. It's lack of storage and having to wear a backpack that usually means they aren't as practical though.

At the mo I have a 1000cc Ducati. It's not faired but the riding position is the same as a supersports bike. It isn't as versatile as the KTM as I can't bounce up kerbs and tear down loose gravel side roads but it still makes a reasonable shopping and 'errand' bike. Storage is once again a prob and I can't hang bags off of the wing mirrors.. It isn't tempermental in traffic and is unafected by the heat. I use it regularly so the heavy clutch and riding position isn't a problem. I''m a faily big guy so it's weight and size isn't a problem either. I ride my missus's scooter some days for a quick trip to 7/11 and the only real advantage I see is not having to put my bike boots and full face lid on and not having to worry about fookwits parking too close. Let's face it big CC bikes are always gonna be a compromise.. Especially sports bikes as they were designed with racing in mind.. If you love the bike, the performance and the image a few creature comforts and a little practicality are a small sacrafice.. If however you don't want the compromise either get a scooter or a Jazz..