Why Shoudn't I Move To Oz.

Khun Jean

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Khun Jean

If you do look at moving to OZ, don't forget to check out the city of Adelaide (south Australia).  Lived there most of my life and it's not a bad place at all.  Most people will talk up Sydney, Melbourne etc, and yes they are nice places, but do take a look.  It's cheaper than most other places around Oz for housing, great coastline and close to some really nice beaches etc, and good choice of education.  A bit quiet for many but that's what's good about it.  Some may disagree with what I've said, but make up your own mind after you've done the homework.  Need any info, let me know.

:D

You forgot to mention how cold it gets in the winter :o

Ahhh...Adelaide is not cold to people from England and Scotland etc.....its like summer to them......

I work for a Scottish company who fly many of their people out , all love Adelaide and never want to go back....and many dont

Khun Jean

If you do look at moving to OZ, don't forget to check out the city of Adelaide (south Australia).  Lived there most of my life and it's not a bad place at all.  Most people will talk up Sydney, Melbourne etc, and yes they are nice places, but do take a look.  It's cheaper than most other places around Oz for housing, great coastline and close to some really nice beaches etc, and good choice of education.  A bit quiet for many but that's what's good about it.  Some may disagree with what I've said, but make up your own mind after you've done the homework.  Need any info, let me know.

:D

You forgot to mention how cold it gets in the winter :o

Ahhh...Adelaide is not cold to people from England and Scotland etc.....its like summer to them......

I work for a Scottish company who fly many of their people out , all love Adelaide and never want to go back....and many dont

Yep, Adelaide is full of Poms. The local accent in adelaide is even a little bit different to the rest of Australia, probably reflecting the UK influence.

The biggest reason that my friends and I left Australia is the very unreasonable tax situation - anyone earning over about A$60,000 a year is in the 47% bracket - so at a little over A$1000 a week BEFORE tax, you could end up bringing home somewhere around A$800 a week...and if you earn more you face huge tax problems.

Try renting a 1 bedroom place in any decent Sydney suburb (sorry - there ARE snobs and classes) and you will shell out say A$200 to A$250 per week.

Petrol is currently fluctuating between $1.19 and $1.30 per litre.

A coffee van passes the office each day around morning tea time, a large latte and a sausage roll (very healthy of course) comes to A$4 to A$6 depending on the company concerned.

A steak in a reasonable restaurant (not a pub - much cheaper there admittedly) will usually cost somewhere between A$19 and A$30.

I agree regarding the schooling - many of the kids I see in Sydney are not the type I would want my children associating with - my kids go to a good quality private school in Bangkok, not an international, so they get both Thai and English lessons and are doing well in both - better in Thai of course.

Australia can be a very pleasant place, but don't for a minute think it is cheap - but you can fool yourself living in Bangkok too, by insisting on buying only farang foods and goods - that will end up being very expensive for sure, but buying imported foods etc in Austraia will kill your budget just as dead.

In Sydney the other week the only place I could find to buy something to eat at 10:15pm was in China Town - there was ONE restaurant open.

Just a few comments on Cities in Australia: (not meant as a digest of facts by any means) -

Sydney : nice to fly over, good for a holiday, expensive, cool winters (expected over night tonight is about 10C.

Melbourne : cold winters - changeable weather, very "cosmopolitan", good restaurants.

Adelaide : picturesque, lots of churches and gardens, cold in winter, excellent local wines, didn't like the beaches - maybe I missed something...

Perth : Most isolated city in the world, very new, not a huge amount of history but nicely set up, Margaret River area "nearby" (in Australian terms) - wonderful wines, generally good climate.

Hobart : Tasmanian capitol, the state is usually likened to the UK - Apple Isle etc - never been so can't comment - but seriously cold weather in the winter.

Brisbane : Sub-tropical capitol of Queensland - very pleasant place to live, 1 hr drive north to the Sunshine Coast (Noosa etc) or an hour south to the Gold Coast (Surfers Paradise etc). Very quiet out of season, but OK most of the time.

Darwin : Tropical city in the far north - similar to Asian climate, many Asians live there, but quite a small place - some love it - quiet lifestyle.

Canberra : F'n cold in winter, f'n hot in summer - full of public servants - good place to visit for a day - best avoided - capitol of Australia. Semi-decent roads leading out to...anywhere else...

Seriously some of the best places to live are NOT in the cities.

It's true, there are New Zealanders everywhere - not a bad mob, but I object to New Zealanders themselves telling the world that they are some of the best immigrants a country may have - I hope they didn't hurt themselves patting themselves on the back like that.