Kpn Full Moon Party / Speedboats

KVJ

Hi All,

Thinking of going with a mate to the full moon party (staying on Samui). We only want to go for one night so we know that Haad Rin is out for accommodation. I figure the most hassle free way (doesn't sound to be much hassle free about the full moon party at all though!) is going to be the speedboat option from Bangkrak. My only question: does anyone know if you can get a return ticket that more or less guarantees you to come back at the time stated on the ticket? If it's all a mess coming back and we're going to have to stand around for hours trying to get a boat or get shafted into having to buy a new ticket will probably not bother going.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

I did the few hour version of the FMP last year. Took a boat there late evening with some friends and returned sometime very early in the morning. Don't remember many details though - as is to be expected I guess. I do remember falling in the shallow water as I was getting off the boat in Bangrak. BIG mistake. The next day my clothes smelled like they had been soaked in the sewer. Which, I guess they had been.

you won't be assured a time to return regardless of ticket. the speedboats only come back once a certain passenger capacity has been reached.

you could of course charter your own yacht to use as a base for the full moon party. then you'd be able to depart on your schedule, join the party or retreat from it on your own schedule, head back to samui on your own schedule etc.

i know someone who arranges these sorts of things...:whistling:

The speedboat ticket from Samui includes the return as well. Just don't lose the ticket.

There are several operators who operates from Bangrak and Fisherman's Village also.

An operator will only accept return passenger with their correct ticket.

On the return, the boat will start waiting from around after midnight and once they reach a certain capacity on their boat, they'll start the journey back to Samui.

Once the boat empties the people off Samui, it'll return back to Had Rin to pick up the rest.

Every operator keep track of the number of people they've ferried to Had Rin, so they can keep track of how many to ship back.

Last round of boat leaves maybe 4-5 in the morning, or till they've counted the total number of people shipped.

Overcrowding....high winds....full moon sea....drunk skipper...pissed up passengers....night time....

Good luck. :jap:

overcrowding? perhaps on the beach but not on my boats. drunk skipper? maybe on some small speedboats but definitely not on my boats. pissed up passengers? certainly, it's similar to herding cats.

I tend to tell people to keep their accommodation on Samui. Get the afternoon big ferry to KPG, party the night away then get the morning big boat back. Then as you have your room already just crash out and sleep off the party. A much safer option than the speedboats. Lots of bungalows get broken into during full moon as they know the people are out most of the night.

Agree with Dunc and smokie. I wouldn't get on the speedboats. Sure some are safer than others but there have been two major accidents with deaths from speedboats in recent years so if it were me, I'd take the big boat over and the big boat back in the morning as well. But, up to you as they say.

But, to answer your question, no as far as I am aware, there is no guaranteed return time, they go when full, but that said, they fill up pretty quick this time of year so returning isn't a problem.

Grand Sea Adventure Tours is also very professional, in there riding people back & forth.... worth checking out also.... if memory serves me correctly it's 700 baht round trip.... from Ban Rak, until their new office re-opens in Maenam.

As Mole says don't lose your return ticket....:whistling:

Thanks for the replies. Not too keen on pulling an all nighter but will have a think about the ferry option. From what I can tell the first ferry back is at 7:15am. Does it ever get full up? I can imagine a lot of people would be wanting to get on at that time. Then again it is a decent sized ferry.

Thanks again for the info.

2 ticket "ferry" (Haad Rin queen 25 mt wooden boat full much over the legal number, 300 400 passengers) for 400 Baht against 600/700 Baht return ticket price for a speedboat.

I don't see a so big difference in terms of economy, not to mention the security.

Thanks for the replies. Not too keen on pulling an all nighter but will have a think about the ferry option. From what I can tell the first ferry back is at 7:15am. Does it ever get full up? I can imagine a lot of people would be wanting to get on at that time. Then again it is a decent sized ferry.

Thanks again for the info.

I'd agree with Anguid "I suggest you to use the speedboats of Petcharat Marina, more professional than average."

700 Baht Return, you don't get a ticket you get an armband, harder to lose. If you come back around Midnight, 1 am it is not too crowded getting back. I've done this a couple of times at this time of year and from my experience fellow passengers at this time of night were not pissed up looneys, the journey back was comfortable. The service was organised and professional.

On the other hand after the June crash, I personally would not do it again, and I'd have to agree with the most others comments, take the ferry!

As said Petcharet are a very professional outfit but it has to be said that it was one of their boats involved in the last crash. The fact that the Petcharet boat was blameless in the cause of the accident doesn't make for a safe crossing at night, in bad weather when you have other very unprofessional boat operators flying about the water at reckless speeds. I would recommend them for a trip to the Ang Thong marine park or Nanguan but getting onto a speedboat at night here is for me a no no.